Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I lost about 3.5 lbs a week when I first started, but I was morbidly obese so my basal metabolic rate was pretty high. And it also did a number on my hair about six months later. Can't recommend it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @runsonespresso - I have not but I am pretty leery of all of the 'lose weight quick' plans.

Yah, same here. It's almost 2 pounds a week. Playing around in MFP and to lose 2 per week is like 1200 calories. I would die.

Assuming their numbers are roughly accurate then it's probably possible to lose that much weight in that period of time, but I don't think there are any tricks to making a deficit like that not suck unless you're starting from a pretty high TDEE. And it's all about compliance, right?

When I first started MFP I think I did the 2 lbs per week and I didn't last a week. I can't go under about 1500 a day or I get shakey, lightheaded etc.

I was just curious about Noom since it's suddenly all over social media and TV. Not enough to pay $32 a month though.

I'm currently reading Run Less Run Faster and their formula for calories is:

Body weight x 11.3 + 100 cals for ea mile of running

I'd have to know each day how far I'm running and set a new goal most days! It's an interesting formula/idea. I just find all these different ways interesting.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I lost about 3.5 lbs a week when I first started, but I was morbidly obese so my basal metabolic rate was pretty high. And it also did a number on my hair about six months later. Can't recommend it.

Yeek, sorry about your hair. I am personally very vain about my hair and was really paranoid about hair issues when I first started losing weight.

@runsonespresso - I have not but I am pretty leery of all of the 'lose weight quick' plans.

Yah, same here. It's almost 2 pounds a week. Playing around in MFP and to lose 2 per week is like 1200 calories. I would die.

Assuming their numbers are roughly accurate then it's probably possible to lose that much weight in that period of time, but I don't think there are any tricks to making a deficit like that not suck unless you're starting from a pretty high TDEE. And it's all about compliance, right?

When I first started MFP I think I did the 2 lbs per week and I didn't last a week. I can't go under about 1500 a day or I get shakey, lightheaded etc.

I was just curious about Noom since it's suddenly all over social media and TV. Not enough to pay $32 a month though.

I'm currently reading Run Less Run Faster and their formula for calories is:

Body weight x 11.3 + 100 cals for ea mile of running

I'd have to know each day how far I'm running and set a new goal most days! It's an interesting formula/idea. I just find all these different ways interesting.

I was a little over 200 pounds at my heaviest and I only managed two pounds a week occasionally. One to one and a half was a sweet spot for me until recently.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    When I was first going to the nutritionist she calculated different calorie loads depending on what I was doing... rest day was right around 1500, strength only day was just a bit higher, normal run day was about 300-400 calories more and a HIIT, long run or double workout (run +strength) day was 900 calories more. They were meant as guidelines but they worked well. She said you can't expect to eat the same amount or even the same foods regardless of what you are doing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    When I was first going to the nutritionist she calculated different calorie loads depending on what I was doing... rest day was right around 1500, strength only day was just a bit higher, normal run day was about 300-400 calories more and a HIIT, long run or double workout (run +strength) day was 900 calories more. They were meant as guidelines but they worked well. She said you can't expect to eat the same amount or even the same foods regardless of what you are doing.

I can see that but if I had to change every day it would deter me from tracking. I struggle with recording as is.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Yah - I set my calorie 'goal' for my normal days and since I normally don't eat back calories anyway, I mentally adjust and know where I am with rest days and heavy workout days being the exceptions.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Yesterday was kind of a disaster day for me. I had planned to go to the gym and work out but had promised to help my in-laws and take my SIL out to lunch. So, I put off the gym to go later in the afternoon but ended up helping my BIL move files off his work PC so he can turn it in this weekend (he has retired). Got out to lunch late with SIL to a new little Mediterranean restaurant with delicious food (chicken swarma wrap - yes please!). Even though I only ate half my lunch I was so full. We got home around 4pm and I just couldn't get out the door to the gym. Nor did I do any kind of home workout. Ugg...
    Oh and then later (8pm) I had leftover chicken marsala from dinner out with them on Tuesday and realized why it was so delicious. The sauce was pretty much all butter! I must be gazillions of calories over for the week and not nearly enough cardio to make up for it 😣
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Yesterday was kind of a disaster day for me. I had planned to go to the gym and work out but had promised to help my in-laws and take my SIL out to lunch. So, I put off the gym to go later in the afternoon but ended up helping my BIL move files off his work PC so he can turn it in this weekend (he has retired). Got out to lunch late with SIL to a new little Mediterranean restaurant with delicious food (chicken swarma wrap - yes please!). Even though I only ate half my lunch I was so full. We got home around 4pm and I just couldn't get out the door to the gym. Nor did I do any kind of home workout. Ugg...
    Oh and then later (8pm) I had leftover chicken marsala from dinner out with them on Tuesday and realized why it was so delicious. The sauce was pretty much all butter! I must be gazillions of calories over for the week and not nearly enough cardio to make up for it 😣

Yeah, yesterday turned into a disaster for me as well nutritionally speaking - my husband wanted to go out since he has to leave town tomorrow morning for a trial for a case that should have settled but didn't (it'll just be a couple of days but still plenty stressful) and we haven't had much time together this week what with preparing for said trial. As too often happens, dinner and a few drinks out turned into a few drinks at home, along with half the food in the fridge. We have been doing much better with not going out ridiculously often, but our timing still needs work - I ended up sleeping until noon and blowing off the gym and a get-together with friends that's already been postponed a bunch of times, so I feel like a bit of a jerk. Plus I blew about a week of deficit last night, so will probably need to stretch my cut into March to get back to 155 lbs. So it goes - life goes on.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    A little bit of exercise and I ate a whole bag of tater chips and 2 ice cream sandwiches with soy in them... guess I forgot run/bike= plan food

How everyone else getting on? I want Thai or Indian food....
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A little bit of exercise and I ate a whole bag of tater chips and 2 ice cream sandwiches with soy in them... guess I forgot run/bike= plan food

How everyone else getting on? I want Thai or Indian food....

Ooh, I was craving Thai last night - my husband and I had our first date at a Thai place just down the street from where we live now, but it turns out he doesn't really like Thai that much so we've only been back once! He's out of town and if he's not home for dinner I might take myself out just because.

The bloat from Friday finally dropped off and I'm not too far off goal, though I did lose a week of progress, as I thought - I've decided to up my calories by about 200/day and that should get me to my target by the first week in March. Then maintenance just in time for half-marathon training to start, assuming that I can figure out where I'm going to run with all this mother*kitten* snow on the ground. /sigh The cold is really getting to me, y'all. Not fun.

Starting Weight: 160.0 (2/9/19)
    Current Weight: 156.4 (2/25/19)
    Target Weight: 155.0 (3/5/19)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm hiding. Mostly from the cold, but also from accountability because I skipped my long run last weekend. But it all comes down to the cold, really. I'm so over it.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    My old scale died so I have magically gained 2 lbs thanks to the new scale. Ugh! I know it's not a real gain but it's still demoralizing to see that number.

Also, it's one of those fancy things that supposedly tracks your body fat, hydration, etc. It does a pretty poor job at this, I think, since from day to day I lose or gain about a third of a pound of bone. Yeah, that is not a thing. Also, this morning, I weighed myself, drank a full glass of water, then weighed again and had according to scale gained a pound of FAT while my HYDRATION stayed the same! I knew these scales were inaccurate but had heard they were good for telling water weight gain - apparently not so much. Anyway it thinks I am at 22% bodyfat which is wildly flattering but no.

I was looking at my pictures from my last race and I think I want to try to lose about fifteen pounds. I've been maintaining for about a year now, and the break has been good for me, but I think I would be faster and look better at a lighter weight. I'm currently 150-ish, which is well within normal BMI. Ideal weight for me is 137, which is incidentally what I weighed when I got married 25 years ago, and I looked great at that weight. But I'm not looking forward to cutting. I think I'm going to try tightening up my logging first and see what happens.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @sarahthes It was "nice" here for a few days and now were looking at 20-30f ( -7 to 0c) for the weekend. Yuck. I'm with you. I'm tired of cold short days.

My food choices have been horrible too.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Re: cold - just had brunch outside on the patio in 71 degree weather, Sunday is supposed to be 20. Apparently this is polar vortex take 2, there was a an article about it. All the contiguous states except NC, Georgia and Florida are supposed to see sub freezing temps this week.

Yesterday on my run I noticed all the peach trees were blooming, so this will mean no peach crop this year.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It is currently -2C here today. I deferred yesterday's run to today because I knew it would be nice out. But Saturday will be -25C again. After that it's supposed to slowly increase again and maybe be spring for real.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I have finally gotten my eating back in line. I need to stay away from my SIL apparently. I eat the wrong things and drink too much wine when I am with her. My weight has finally dropped down to what it was at the beginning of the month before I went off the rails.
    Weather wise, even though we are part of the contiguous states we will not be seeing any sub-freezing temps here. Maybe up in the mountains though. For sure we are about to get hit with more rain tonight/tomorrow and again over the weekend and yet again next week. It has already created all the terrible flooding in No CA but we are not supposed to get as much. We are enjoying much cooler than normal temps and it has made being outside so enjoyable. I did get sunburned on Monday when I was picking tangerines, it never occurred to me that I needed to put more sunscreen on.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Hugs all around weather-wise. We're supposed to get another 3-5 inches of snow on Friday. It's going to be cold, too, but it's been hanging out in the -10 to 10F range for long enough that it barely phases me. I figured out running in cold, but running on snow is what defeated me. Alas.

I ran errands with my mom today and got home about 10 minutes too late to make it to the gym for the 5pm class, so instead I spent a half an hour widening the path I dug in the snowdrift/boulevard in front of our house. I showed that snowdrift who was boss! The path isn't even for us since we have parking off the alley, but I figure that 1) it's good neighbor points, and 2) it keeps the delivery drivers happy.

Apparently the weekend bloat wasn't quite gone because I dropped another random pound last night, putting me at 155.3, right around where I was hoping to be at the end of the month. I celebrated by eating to maintenance today but will probably try and drop another pound for a little insurance before shifting back to maintenance for March. I feel like I can call this experiment a success, though, and that's happy.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Kitten erased my post.... psycho thing is all over everything and disruptive to the other cats and they won’t let me sleep so I’m up with the baby monster at 330 so I gave in to being up and coffee at 430. So...

Quickly before it comes back.... I’m going to do better. Diet is crap. Plan is light food from chick film since I won’t plan lunch meals. No running means I need to take this opportunity and give up fast food, and get back to eating right.

Any lent plans? None here per se. Just try to buckle down with limited fast food and eat better. Last Sunday we had lunch at church and the priest sat at out table. Turns out we chatted about road cycling. He runs a bit too. So I am using that as motivation to embrace cycling. Maybe I’d have someone to chat with about cycling and or ride with him, and others. The baby monster climbs my bike... so I’ll have to find a way to “baby” proof it so he doesn’t get caught in the spokes on a ride... oh it’s back..... must “post reply” quickly and que the mouse for cats app.
    hw1nzkoalsou.jpg
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Kitten erased my post.... psycho thing is all over everything and disruptive to the other cats and they won’t let me sleep so I’m up with the baby monster at 330 so I gave in to being up and coffee at 430. So...

Quickly before it comes back.... I’m going to do better. Diet is crap. Plan is light food from chick film since I won’t plan lunch meals. No running means I need to take this opportunity and give up fast food, and get back to eating right.

Any lent plans? None here per se. Just try to buckle down with limited fast food and eat better. Last Sunday we had lunch at church and the priest sat at out table. Turns out we chatted about road cycling. He runs a bit too. So I am using that as motivation to embrace cycling. Maybe I’d have someone to chat with about cycling and or ride with him, and others. The baby monster climbs my bike... so I’ll have to find a way to “baby” proof it so he doesn’t get caught in the spokes on a ride... oh it’s back..... must “post reply” quickly and que the mouse for cats app.
    hw1nzkoalsou.jpg

OMG that app looks hilarious - I've got to see if my 1.5 yo kitten will respond to it!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq my 3yo likes to watch it. She hasnt chased it yet. It offers a distraction when the monster baby is around for her. Bet yours will like it.