What the Health

Options
Longshore
Longshore Posts: 221 Member
Just watched this on Netfilx. At first I thought this was a comedy, but now I think they where serious. The claims on there actually had me laughing out loud. When he calls these places and complains about stuff they have on there website is soooooo funny to me. This is a must watch if you need to smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi21Ex9kMqs

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Absolute garbage that movie.

This one will be coming out soon hopefully. This one will be great!!! Exposing the true story of how we got where we are today with health and food.

https://youtu.be/z-onXpXUovc
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OMG, the background music in that clip! :lol:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have read all the books and watching that second movie will just be an audio/visual treatment of that information.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I feel like I have read all the books and watching that second movie will just be an audio/visual treatment of that information.
    Yeah. I too feel like, for me, it would be redundant.
    Though if someone hasn't been all in, out, and around this stuff like us ol' timers, it might be a good jumpstart to get them up to speed.
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    HELP!!!
    This AM I weighed and measured myself for weekly progress after a 7 day turnout and it seems that I gained 4 lbs and only lost .5 inches from my arms :s , all other measurements remain the same... That is so discouraging :'( especially that I have still been eating low carbs :| ... I'm gonna keep at this but that scale really messed up my head :( !!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    PeaceQT18 wrote: »
    HELP!!!
    This AM I weighed and measured myself for weekly progress after a 7 day turnout and it seems that I gained 4 lbs and only lost .5 inches from my arms :s , all other measurements remain the same... That is so discouraging :'( especially that I have still been eating low carbs :| ... I'm gonna keep at this but that scale really messed up my head :( !!!

Don’t mean to get so personal, but could you be getting near the time for your monthly visit from Mother Nature? Hormones play a humongous role in what the scale reads throughout the month! If your maintaining low carb, as you said, the scale will catch up once this fluctuation is done.

One rule I had to adopt when I began was to never allow the number on that scale to determine my food choices! Hang in there!
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @PeaceQT18
    chddjbfd55t7.jpeg

That number on the scale is just a number. How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? You didn’t gain it in a week you won’t lose it in a week. Keep on keeping on and I can guarantee that stupid number will move down.
  • IronGiant0
    IronGiant0 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    tvty894o2d89.jpg
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I, too, feel as though I've seen and read everything, but I still feel compelled to watch the new stuff anyway.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I, too, feel as though I've seen and read everything, but I still feel compelled to watch the new stuff anyway.

I want to watch them. Unfortunately I never have the time to do that since I started homeschooling the 4th kid. He is high-maintenance!

@FIT_Goat and @baconslave

It will be redundant to most of us but there will be a few new faces on the low carb scene in it. Like Dr Drew, who has a huge following. So it’ll bring this info to a lot of people for the first time, all condensed and well presented. There is also supposed to be a brief story about the family making the documentary Let Me Be 83, which is about their journey with their T1D child and how they implemented Dr Richard Bernstein’s methods to finally gain control of the boys blood sugar and health.
    It’ll be a great synopsis of all the info it took us a couple years to learn.

Couldn't agree more. That's what I meant to convey if that didn't come through.
    I saw Dr. Drew in the clip. Isn't that something? I'm curious to know how he wandered over on our side of the fence.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I want to watch them. Unfortunately I never have the time to do that since I started homeschooling the 4th kid. He is high-maintenance!

@FIT_Goat and @baconslave

It will be redundant to most of us but there will be a few new faces on the low carb scene in it. Like Dr Drew, who has a huge following. So it’ll bring this info to a lot of people for the first time, all condensed and well presented. There is also supposed to be a brief story about the family making the documentary Let Me Be 83, which is about their journey with their T1D child and how they implemented Dr Richard Bernstein’s methods to finally gain control of the boys blood sugar and health.
    It’ll be a great synopsis of all the info it took us a couple years to learn.

Couldn't agree more. That's what I meant to convey if that didn't come through.
    I saw Dr. Drew in the clip. Isn't that something? I'm curious to know how he wandered over on our side of the fence.

The creator of the movie FAT is Vinnie Tortorich who is a recurring guest on the Adam Corolla podcast, which Dr Drew is often on as well. Vinnie talks about NSNG, No Sugar No Grains and Dr Drew had been sort of not buying it for a years until he began to hear more and more from other sources and he tried it and loved it. Was sold! Now he’s actually carnivore!!!
    He talks about it briefly in this podcast
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/d/c/adc26c642c76e4b4/YMIW_438_Dr_Drew.mp3?c_id=31696991&cs_id=31696991&destination_id=81568&expiration=1552112932&hwt=e59fcce05e1a06e0d3221bc573e0e200
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think we all know that I will end up watching it. I am an information junkie.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I watched 'what the health' several weeks back. Also thought the phone calls rather funny. What kind of answers was he expecting from reception (or basically just the person who takes the calls). It was very pro vegan and most of the ''science'' wasn't factual. There were some valid points, like the treatment and processing of animals. I'm already very familiar with it since I did an animal management course which covered welfare, rights and laws of animals. But if I remember correctly, the program didn't go over pasture raised organic animals or places with better practices in the slaughter, processing and distribution of animal products.

There's been issues with some vegan dieters lately on youtube at least, where they aren't being honest about their health. One I remember spent a lot of money going doctor to doctor trying to figure out why eating gave intense stomach pain. Kept getting same answers to change diet, but this wasn't the answer they wanted, so on. It was I think 5 years before they actually heeded the advice and had some fish and eggs. Felt better within days of eating just that. So that really does bring into question that diet to be fair. Could be that it works for some and others just don't have the biology for it. Anyone on the vegan diet needs to pay attention to what their body is telling them if they are having issues.

I find if people are having issues with keto, there are plenty of fixes. Maybe you need more electrolytes or salt, not drinking enough, bit more carb allowance, cut out animal fats (like if you have hereditary cholesterol so plant and fish fats only would be better), etc... We at least listen to our bodies on this diet.

If I was on the vegan diet and had those issues, sure I may go to a doctor get some blood tests to see if I'm lacking in anything. Try supplements for what I may be missing. If that stuff didn't work I'd try going back to eating animal products for a bit. If issues resolved, then it's a case of is it something I was lacking in the vegan diet that the animals products contain that supplements aren't replicating? Or could it be to do with the larger amounts of plant produce I must consume to reach my calorie goals? In the latter case, eating more avocado, coconut and olive oil could solve the issue. But if not, I'd just have to accept my body wasn't designed for a vegan lifestyle and go another route to reaching my animal rights or eco friendly beliefs, such as pasture raised organic animal produce.

Being on keto, if for some reason it didn't work for me, I could move to low-carb or paleo. Increase the carbs but keep it wholefood. It has though, it's solved health issues such as migraines and I've never felt or looked healthier.

I feel I went on a bit of a ramble, sorry about that haha.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Check out The Magic Pill on Netflix, it was a super interesting documentary about keto. Despite all the hate about keto I keep seeing, it really made me feel better about the diet and it's benefits.