Macro goals are the devil

Options
mmkwr5
mmkwr5 Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2019 in Social Groups
How do I not meet my macro goals when I’m trying so hard. I’m following a keto meal plan from an awesome and inspirational cookbook. I haven’t eaten sugar (specifically the love of my freakin life-Chocolate!) or cheated. I prep, portion out, use all the right ingredients (even the disgusting sweeteners that gag me and make me hate all diets), look at labels....and my macros are still all screwy!! I need major advice. Kind help would be greatly appreciated. Only 1.5wks into this but neeeeding this to work. I need to lose over 100lbs for my wedding. Eeeek! Ugh. ...and meh. Ok, done with my freak out. 🙄

Replies

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Instead of stressing try simplifying.

This. Rarely do my macros set on here actually match what I wind up eating. All I care about is sticking close to my carbs and keeping my protein intake within reason.
    Most important is to track carbs and not go over 20 (some people can get away with more.) Then eat some protein and enough fat to keep from getting hungry. Most macro goals overdo fat. The 80% fat was for anti-seizure diet purposes, not for weight loss.

Also this. Unless you have a specific reason to stay super high on the fat intake for anti seizure, migraine control, etc there's no reason to eat so much fat just keep the carb intake down. I've experimented on myself a bit and I can go up to 75 - 100 net carbs a day before my inflammation and migraines come back. However, I try to keep it around 20. Some days I go over. Some days it's under. What I don't do is stress about it.

• systemshel
    systemshel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you find that you’re still losing weight even with fluctuating your carbs at 20+/-?

Also this. Unless you have a specific reason to stay super high on the fat intake for anti seizure, migraine control, etc there's no reason to eat so much fat just keep the carb intake down. I've experimented on myself a bit and I can go up to 75 - 100 net carbs a day before my inflammation and migraines come back. However, I try to keep it around 20. Some days I go over. Some days it's under. What I don't do is stress about it.

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    systemshel wrote: »
    Do you find that you’re still losing weight even with fluctuating your carbs at 20+/-?

Definitely, though I have slowed it down a bit as I increased my calories some around the first of the year. Since June 28th of 2018 I've lost 90 pounds and my near daily migraines and joint inflammation are much improved.

That said everyone is different and I'm an odd case to begin with as I started low carb/keto for migraine control and joint inflammation relief, the weight loss was a much needed bonus. I also have a bunch of health issues and eat at a calorie level most people would find intolerable to make do on. But I'm also extremely sedentary due to constant pain and doctor monitored to make sure things don't get out of whack. And like I mentioned before, I make sure I eat reasonable amounts of protein.