potlucks

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
been lc for about 6mo., lost 30 lbs, very happy with it. My church has potlucks a lot, what do you gravitate toward, I am kind of slim on snacks, get tired of pepperoni, eggs,cheese.

I know go toward meat and salads, any other ideas appreciated. Any snack foods appreciated? Anything I can make, don't cook much, over 3 ingredients forget it, lol

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @brenn24179 I started eating before I go. I started taking pork rinds but they were all gone before I could get in line. There are times when there is ZERO that I will eat. I think it unGodly to hurt my health to be sociable. :)
  • brenn24179
    Options
    thanks galehawkins, well there is always chicken. A little tired of pork rhinds also.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You could make a platter, olives, a wee selection of meats and cheese, cucumber, nuts, pickles, pork rinds etc.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    I was thinking of broccoli and cauliflower in a bowl with lite ranch dressing, that was always good. I like the meat and cheese suggestion also.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat if it is not on the plan. I like deviled eggs, and they are often at a potluck. If I take something, it is usually chicken wings from Martin's.
  • sabl57
    sabl57 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mix cream cheese and olives and spread on celery sticks. Or, you can mix cream cheese with finely chopped pepperoni or ham slices (mix in a little horseradish) and spread that on celery.

I also read that thinly sliced jicama works nicely as a type of chip. I have never tried it, but it's on my list of new foods to explore.

Here is a link that gives additional keto information about this root vegetable> https://perfectketo.com/jicama-keto-friendly/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    cream cheese and green olives - I'm totally an addict of this food!!!

It's also good with sliced cucumbers or sliced carrots
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I don't attend many, but when I have, I've taken crockpot meatballs. Lots of options once you get the hang of meatball making. I generally stay away from other people's crock pot meatballs though, as they often are that grape jelly, bbq sauce mixed ones (super popular) and while tasty....are sugar bombs.

https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/crock-pot-meatball-parmesan-low-carb/ this one's pretty good and basic: marinara sauce, beef, eggs, parm. roll, and put in the crock pot.

These are amazing. But they do require more cooking. If you're feeling adventurous one day though, they're worth it: https://jenniferbanz.com/crockpot-swedish-meatballs I sub the milk for more heavy cream.

If there's a meatball you buy, you can simply pop them in the crockpot and take them sans sauce, or cover with a jar of your preferred marinara sauce.

I love salted greek yogurt as a dip. That and some veg, and I'm good to go. Super easy just salt the yogurt excessively, and dip radish, broccoli, cauliflower etc in it.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like meatballs at a potluck too....and like to make a 'buffalo' dip from greek yogourt, Frank's Hot Sauce (the regular- NOT the buffalo one), and full fat bleu cheese dressing. Easy and quite a bit different from the sweet sauced meatballs.
    A different dip for your veggies is culinary lavender flowers in sea salted greek yogourt. Especially good with cuke or zucchini coins and celery sticks.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    chili and cheeseburger soup are quick and easy if you have a crock pot and it's the time of year where hot things are good

Chicken caesar salad is another easy one to whip up and take

also, any cold "pasta" salad made with zucchini noodles instead of the pasta
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the zucchini noodles warm and sauced. BUT I think as a cold "pasta" salad I might like that!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Deviled eggs are always good. Also, I found a meatball recipe I have made a couple of times that I really like and others did as well. I can't find the recipe, but it is super easy, so I will try to explain it as well as I can:

1 lb ground beef mixed with 1 lb of ground sausage

Mix in the spices you like. Generally there is going to be enough salt in the sausage that it is not needed in my opinion. I do add ground black pepper, basil and/or oregano and garlic powder. If you want a bit of spice, then add crushed red pepper flakes. Add in either crushed up parmesan cheese chips, or I prefer just using fresh shredded parmesan as a binder - about 3 oz.

Cut some mozzarella cheese sticks into cubes. Make meatballs with one cube stuffed in the middle of each. I found to get them sealed well so the cheese doesn't leak out, I end up with about 20 meatballs in total.

Broil for 10-12 minutes.

Take it out. You will likely have to drain some of the fat. For most dishes, I just leave the grease in, but there will be a lot, so you will probably want to drain some of it.

Top it with low carb sauce and about 3 cups of shredded mozzarella and broil for another 5-7 minutes. I get a good vodka sauce from Thrivemarket.com that is low in carbs or an alfredo sauce.

All my other suggestions tend to come from my smoker. Those items really go over well and almost always include bacon, but I realize most people don't have a smoker, so those are likely not an option.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good ideas.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    burgundy mushrooms...easy crock pot appetizer...a pound of mushrooms, a can of beef consume, a stick of butter, and a cup of burgundy wine...simmer 8+ hours and serve
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    As far as appetizers go bacon wrapped anything....LOL....Although there might not be any left by the time you get there, but you could do bacon wrapped sausages, bacon wrapped jalapenos filled with cream cheese, bacon wrapped mushrooms?

Then there is bacon-wrapped bacon. I have to say the bacon&jalapenos filled with cream cheese and bacon is one I had not thought of, and I bet that is really good.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    swezeytba wrote: »
    As far as appetizers go bacon wrapped anything....LOL....Although there might not be any left by the time you get there, but you could do bacon wrapped sausages, bacon wrapped jalapenos filled with cream cheese, bacon wrapped mushrooms?

Then there is bacon-wrapped bacon. I have to say the bacon&jalapenos filled with cream cheese and bacon is one I had not thought of, and I bet that is really good.

Shoot! I knew I was forgetting one!