Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it, reset my goals from maintaining to losing .5 lbs / week and started weighing my portions again. Two days in, hating it, and scale weight heigher than anytime in the past year thanks to my new scale being off from the old one. Grr.

I need to start shopping better, I've been eating a lot of lazy meals recently. It's easier to lose weight when I go to the good grocery store across town that has the nicer produce and fish. Our neighborhood store only has basic veg and half of it is covered with mold.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile hugs your way, I too have had to reset my goal to .5 down as I had about 8 to give up over my weight where I was happiest in maintenance. It was pretty hard at first and only the past week have I been able to get any consistency going. Right here with you.

Also hear you about the veg - we are on a challenge at work where I try to get 3.5 cups of veg a day, and if it wasn't for broccoli from the grocery outlet -- !
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've been binging. Had a tough week. Lots of changes. Lots of anxiety from various things. I skipped my run/strength Friday and ate cookies and reese's pieces instead. Helped a friend out yesterday so no time for workout.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Well now that i have a bit of an appetite again, I should do some planning.

I'm off work so i shouldn't have the taco casa temptation. I have stuff for tortilla soup and I'm hoping i can get dd to make it, and bring me a bowl or two. Then pick up after me and wash said bowl. Since my thermos has gone missing, i need help.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there. The weather trying to warm up any? It is here.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my run in tonight. I didn't eat enough calories earlier in the day and was all shaky and have a massive headache. I assume it's because I did 11 miles yesterday and ate at my calorie goal instead of eating a bit more. I wasn't hungry yesterday though. And I didn't take enough to work to eat.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Theres one piece of chocolate on top the microwave, and I left it there.

Dh wanted kfc for dinner. I said I wanted some of the leftover soup, but get it if he wanted it. He brought home 5 hamburgers. I ate one bowl of soup. Zero burgers.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @runsonespresso - hope you can work through all the changes, anxiety and stress!

@elise4270 - since when do they have burgers at KFC? Hahahahaha! Good for you though in sticking with the soup!

We had Panera. I planned to cook but DH wasn't interested in anything I wanted to cook so he said Panera so fine...
    I am thinking I need to send him to cooking class so he can plan to cook once in a while.
    I also haven't been eating enough calories... not even hitting my minimum 1500 on run or rest days. I need to fix that or I fear I will never lose any more weight. I did drop another pound last week to the lowest weight I have seen since October.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Dh phones “ you want pizza?”
    Me “no. Do you ever read my texts?”

Swear he’s a fast food junkie.

Stew tonight. Not pizza

You have a win today?
  • shanaber
    Options
    We had baked pork chops and veggies for dinner and I had a protein shake with greek yogurt, berries, protein powder and kale for lunch/post run. It was ok... I think I need to coconut water or something else to it - it was way to thick.
    Also after getting a sample at Costco we bought Yasso mint chocolate chip frozen Greek yogurt bars. OMG so good, only 100 calories, 5g protein, 16g carbs and 2g fat. Even DH who hates Greek yogurt likes them. Also they are gluten free. I looked at the other flavors available and will definitely be looking for the others.

I think I did pretty well today. Still need to eat more but I got my protein up and generally had a good food day.

@Elise4270 - some men (my DH included) would gladly eat out/fast food regularly it seems. Given a choice mine will always pick something fast and generally unhealthy which is why we go to Panera frequently. At least it isn't terrible.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    After several days of sliding sideways I had big bump up. Temporary I hope. I worked until midnight Tuesday which meant I ate a lot at work, then at more when I got home. Too much. Last night I only worked until 6:30pm but then we went out to eat. My son and his girlfriend are here for the rest of the week so we took them out. The local grocery store has a fairly decent restaurant and Wednesday is half price sushi, so what did I do? I ordered two BIG sushi rolls, and a drink. I was stuffed. Then at home, since we were sitting around the table chatting until midnight, we drank and snacked some more.

Hence the 3+ pound spike in weight. Tonight the kids will be out with friends so I'll be able to go out for a long run and reasonable eating.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Eh, @7lenny7 lifes ment to lived. Enjoy it.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2019
    Options
    What's for dinner tonight? Dh got pizza, for his lodge meeting tonight so i gotta gimp to the kitchen and fend for myself.

@shanaber i think we've tried the yasso ice cream. I liked them.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Dinner tonight was the final leftover chicken and dumplings. We are going to BBQ chicken tomorrow or Saturday and that is as far as I have gotten in my planning. I am pretty terrible at meal planning I have decided.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You can treat yourself to Yasso after running Yasso 800's!

Last night I first snacked on all manner of food...cookies, blackberries, deer sticks, cheese, snickerdoodle cereal, because I knew I was going for a long run.

After my 14 mile, 2.5 hour run I had some cookie dough, a slice of pizza, and my favorite of the night, a grilled cheese sandwich using mayo instead of butter on the outside, sharp chedder cut thick, two slices of canadian bacon, topped off by a runny fried egg. YUMMMMM! That warmed my numb feet right up. And just to be sure, I also had a beer, a glass of wine, and a shot of bourbon.

Tonight I'm not sure what's going on. My wife is with her cousins until late and I'm not sure if my son and girlfriend's plans include me or not. If they include me I'm going to suggest we go brewery hopping, find a good food truck, and I'll drive so I only have a little beer while we're out.

• shanaber
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I had to laugh at all and the variety of what you ate and drank! I keep my diet pretty structured so to see that you were eating with abandon just tickled me 🤣

ETA - I wondered if Bart Yasso had any involvement in the company honestly, when I saw the name. The website doesn't say how they got the name but it was founded by two 'kids' who met in school - he ran track and she played soccer...

I am still not sure what dinner will be tonight but I had crackers, cheese (sharp cheddar, cave aged bleu and swiss) with a bit of turkey and some veggies and hummus for lunch. I was going to make a sandwich but this just sounded better.

Has anyone heard from @sarahthes? I have seen her on FB a bit but not in the challenge or here for a while... I miss her updates.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I haven’t heard from @sarahthes either. I hope she’ll come back, one of my all-star running hero’s. @7lenny7 is living it up and I’m jealous.

Today’s food wasn’t bad. Better than yesterday when no one feed me and I ate chips, bean dip, and oranges all day. I fixed my own eggs this morning, and microwaved leftover “stew” with rice, that turned out to be rice with stew meat and veggies. Dd was experimenting with rice in the IP simultaneously with meat and veggies. It tasted great. I added some lemon and a half an avocado.

Dh left me for a Friday meeting. So, more Netflix. He did seem to fix my phone that’s not been 100% on phone on calls. When I plugged my headphones in, there was music. No app was open, the phone had been power cycled numerous times. So, uninstalled slacker radio, restart and I don’t need a new 1000$ phone.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ugh. Yesterday I ate so much. Dh didn’t seem interested in dinner, I think he over did the caffeine and the heat got to him a bit on his run. So, I figured we’d skip dinner or find something light. Of course once i mention trying to keep calories reasonable, he orders take out Mexican. Yes please! Oh well. The all knowing internet says I can have 120% of my bmr for this bone healing. Hooray! But, I’ll take a chance in gaining a bit to ensure proper recovery and look forward to swimming and biking it off.

Today’s foods? Dh left me for church. I managed a piece of sourdough bread with cream cheese, coffee and OJ on a step down in meds the last 8-10 hours, no less. The kitten seems to have outgrown me yesterday and today. He’s bonded with the older male we have. Or he is just flat offended that I keep making fun of him for having tape worms. He shouldn’t now, we wormed him again the other day. Wormiest thing ever. Maybe he’ll gain some weight finally. He’s almost 3 months and 3 pounds, which is spot on... so maybe I’m just use to these fat cats we have.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have been hiding but I think I'm ready to emerge. I've been stressed and treating it with food and video games instead of running. I'm a full week behind on my running plan but I did 11km last night and I'm just done with how things have been going. I have weighed myself this morning and will reset my calorie goals on the commute to work. 6 weeks (ish) until my half marathon.

Not ready to go back to the monthly running thread yet, but I'll hang out here.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Also, my baby had to get glasses and he's the cutest thing. But don't tell him he's cute, he doesn't like it because he's 4 and he's too big to be cute.
    cjxr64u992bd.jpg