Confessions from a Bariatric Surgery Failure

Options
mae7365
mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
I had bariatric surgery (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) in November of 2014. I was overwhelmed with joy that I was FINALLY going to be the "thin me" that I was back in my 20's. I felt blessed to have been given this opportunity. And it worked. I dropped 60 lbs over the next 10 months. I no longer needed blood pressure medication, my pre-diabetes was gone, I dropped 5 dress sizes, joined a gym and had an "affair" with my husband (he loved the new me).

So the truth is, the bariatric surgery was not a failure. It did exactly what I was told it would do - dramatically restrict my food intact That first year after surgery is an essential part of the bariatric surgery process. It's the time when you are supposed to learn how to change your attitude and love affair with food. It's the time for learning portion control and giving up all those processed carbohydrates and sugary treats that had become a part of my daily diet. I was told over and over again prior to surgery and at my post-op group sessions: BARIATRIC SURGERY IS TOOL, NOT A WEIGHT LOSS MIRACLE!

So my bariatric surgery wasn't a failure, I failed at bariatric surgery. At the one year point I had gained back 10 lbs. That wasn't so bad. At two years I had gained back 15 more. At four years I had gained back a total of 40 pounds! Those size 8 clothes have been sent to Goodwill and my XL and 1X clothes hang shamefully in my closet!

It all started with a doughnut, then a few potato chips, then some ice cream, then a few Hershey bars ........ and the list goes on and on! Did my stomach somehow grow back or stretch back to it's original size? No, it's still only hold 4 ounces. But I added "sliders" back to my diet. Those are the carbohydrates and sugary foods that dissolve quickly in your stomach - continually making room for more. So I binge on all those yummy, high calorie, nutrition-less foods and wonder why the scale makes me so unhappy every morning.

So here I am, four years and four months after my miracle surgery. Angry, depressed, frustrated, humiliated, embarrassed and feeling like a complete failure. But I will not give up!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has experienced this disappointment. Has anyone else been able to reverse the gain and get back on track? If so, how?

Replies

• lozenger1984
    lozenger1984 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi Mae, thank you for your very honest post. I’m a bit earlier in the process but identify with that fear of failure. I’m at the year mark with about 14 lbs left to drop. It’s definitely work to keep it going now and I do feel hungry. I hit my initial target and “eased up” a bit and maintained for a month. It’s scary how few extra calories lead to me maintaining as so few more will lead to regain which is a scary prospect for all of us. I have a bit of a mantra “trust CICO” (calories in vs calories out) that I just need to check my calories and my weight will eventually follow. Meal prep and a weekly meal plan on the fridge really help. I don’t log every day but do if I stall. When I log I weigh everything. Perhaps a week just back logging and weighing may be a good start to get a sense of what your calorie intake is? I’m still struggling with “treats” which are those gateway foods to regain. I inly drink alcohol once in a blue moon as will always eat more if I have a drink. I struggle with my partner having pretty poor habits and when my discipline wavers we inevitably eat badly - we need to work on this together, when one of us is struggling the other needs to make a healthy dinner, not get rubbish convenience food.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 5 1/2 years post op from sleeve surgery. I was doing great - my surgeon called me his straight A student. I got a little too comfortable and a little sloppy with my diet, but what really tripped me up was going through menopause. Menopause in and of itself doesn't cause weight gain, but I was feeling so miserable I let many of my good exercise and eating habits go. I am getting back on track now but two years of horrible menopause symptoms and a regain of 50 of 200 lbs lost has been an emotional hit, to say the least. That said, I don't consider myself a failure, and you shouldn't either. We live and learn and we bounce back. We have the chance to change and improve every minute of every day. I know you are discouraged, but what has helped me is to remember my mindset when I decided to have surgery. I was confident and positive and that got me through the process. I am positive and confident again that I can lose the regain. You can do it too!!!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am a type I diabetic on a pump who had gastric bypass surgery in September of 2012. I lost about 110 pounds and was told I was too thin. I gained back about 10 and I was comfortable and very happy in my size 8's. I did fine for about 3 1/2 to 4 years. Maintained the weight loss, logged all my food and exercise every day honestly. Then life changes happened. Financial problems, big ones. An unexpected move, a tragic hurricane, another move. No kitchen or funds to cook. Lots of fast food. My taste for junk took over. And boom I found myself 20 pounds heavier and in a size 12, tight size 12 at that. We decided last year to try Keto. Made it about 3 weeks, but as a type I diabetic I found my blood sugars plummeted to levels as low as 20. To keep myself in Ketosis I just turned my pump off and prayed for the best. Quickly decided that was a game I was not going to play. Went off Keto and went crazy with sweets, junk, frozen pizzas, chips. You got it. That weight I lost over those 3 weeks came back and then some. So at this point we are trying Whole 30, trying to put an end to those cravings and get back on track. I lost my desire to eat vegetables and I hate anything healthy. Have to get my mind and body back where it needs to be. I am also a person who sees that my surgery was a great tool and over the last two years I have forgotten to respect that tool. Time to get back on track!
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    @annwyatt69 hey there. This is something that you KNOW you can do. Heck, you've done it before and maintained. I hope you don't feel like a failure because you are not. Honey, life happens to us all. It is what it is. What we have to do is pick ourselves BACK up. We can ONLY move up. I did. The last part of last yeAr, I fell off the wagon so to speak. I told all this to my WL S support group......I stopped everything....eating right....ate a bunch of carbs. I even stopped taking my vitamins and whatnot. But I pulled myself out of that rut. I think that I thought the weight would come off JUST BECAUSE I had the surgery. Welll, I learned that it truly IS a tool and we must USE it and not abuse it..ie; eating around our pouch. So it's definitely a new day and it will get better and better for all of us.......my motto
    >DON'T BE DEFEATED!
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Is Whole 30 one of those food delivery programs....I was thinking of maybe using one of those perhaps in the future...Fledge Fitness advertises one, I forget the name. But they have one especially for keto, which I might try.
  • MaggyMaizy
    MaggyMaizy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mae, your post describes me, too. Thank you for being brave enough to share it!

I am so embarrassed that I regained 40 of the 150 pounds I lost. My body image is distorted and in my mind all I see is the 294 pound person I was. Realistically, I’m nowhere near the size at which I started, but it’s just so easy to go back there.

By joining this group, I’m hoping to find support and to be supportive of others on this same journey. We did it once - we can do it again!

<3 Maggy
  • atmdaddy
    atmdaddy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is a good read. I just finished my 4th dietitian visit with two more to go. I've followed the eating and exercise guidelines with very successful weight loss. Now starting to second guess if I should have the surgery? Thoughts? Any one else felt or feeling same way. It is a life style change. My current thoughts are that with GBS the life style change may be too much!?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    atmdaddy wrote: »
    This is a good read. I just finished my 4th dietitian visit with two more to go. I've followed the eating and exercise guidelines with very successful weight loss. Now starting to second guess if I should have the surgery? Thoughts? Any one else felt or feeling same way. It is a life style change. My current thoughts are that with GBS the life style change may be too much!?

I never once second guessed my decision. Even though I have had some regain, my quality of life and my health is still in a MUCH better place than before. My BP, cholesterol, blood sugar, all of it is great according to my doctors. Lifestyle change is necessary with or without surgery if you want to lose weight. I have always said that WLS was the tool to help me lose weight faster which helped me get out of danger faster - I was just about 400 lbs and I would literally go to sleep scared that I wouldn't wake up. That said, we all know what to do, those of us that struggled can look back and see where we have to improve, and we can still use the tool of WLS to get to our goals. Just like any other tool, it has to be used properly to work properly.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Imo, if you have any reservations about it then you should wait.

The sleeve made me sick and conversion to rny has improved that situation, but I will always be faced with the malabsorption of nutrients and vitamins.

I do have regrets on those levels. Also, you never get to stop thinking about your food choices. It’s a forever diet if you want to maintain the weight loss. Otherwise you become one of the failure statistics due to returning to eating the same foods.

If I’d found the ketogenic way of eating before my first surgery, I wouldn’t have ever needed the surgery. I’d have lost the weight on my own. But, we don’t get do overs in life. So, I will watch what I eat, and take my vitamins religiously to try to prevent the malnutrition that can occur with wls!

Good luck with making your decision for yourself! I’m sure you will end up choosing the best path for yourself! Hugs!!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 years out
    I lost 175lb, some of that was during pregnancy
    I was so ill I lost 30lb, developed hypoglycemia and gave birth at 25 weeks
    The hospital was so concerned they had staff monitoring my food
    By the time my son was 18 months I had gained 60lb despite breastfeeding

I've had to return to basics. I cut out carbs and I weigh and measure everything
    I've gotten 40lb back off now and realised carbs actually make me feel crappy
    With low carb oddly I don't have as many hypoglycemia episodes

I was very active before pregnancy which certainly helped me lose but havnt been able to exercise this time round thanks to health issues
  • MaggyMaizy
    MaggyMaizy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - so many thoughts and suggestions written above resonate with me.
    My biggest challenge with weight loss, obviously, is food and mindset. I have difficulty eating most meats that aren't ground up. But, I have no problem digesting simple carbs. To echo ruqayyahsmum, carbs make me feel crappy. On my low-carb days, I have more energy and eat less food. So if I feel better on those days, why not just make it a lifestyle? And that's the million dollar question! I'm still falling back on the old stress-eating habits of reaching for comfort foods when life gets tough. But who doesn't have stress in their life? Before opening my mouth to put food in it, I seriously have to ask myself, "how will this make me feel?" Sometimes my mind wins the battle, sometimes it doesn't. As long as we keep fighting the battle each new day, we will succeed! "Don't give up" needs to be my mantra.

Maggy <3

• turbolinky83
    turbolinky83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't regained...I just didn't lose like I was supposed to. I lost 50lbs but have at least another 50 to lose. It seems I cant lose anymore. All I do is maintain. So I started using myfitness pal to log all my food. I've tried in the past and I didn't keep up with it. Now here I am considering conversion from sleeve to bypass and deciding to try this logging thing before moving further with the conversion. In two weeks I've bounced between 2-4lbs lost. The next couple weeks will really determine if I'll continue with the food logging or go ahead with the bypass surgery. When I saw the surgeon regarding revision he asked "are you SURE you want to do this??". That really turned me off to the idea! So I hope this food logging does the trick.