Question about Intermittant Fasting

Options
Susabella627
Susabella627 Posts: 107 Member
Hello, almost all the Keto literature and research I read discusses the benefits of IF. With a decrease in appetite after only 10 days I have been having my first meal around 12 noon, maybe a snack at 3 if I feel hungry and dinner by 6. Nothing after dinner and nothing (except coffee) until I eat around 12 noon the next day or when I feel hungry. Is this IF?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yup. You are pretty much on a 18/6 eating IF schedule. This is same version I do with coffee/tea.
  • Susabella627
    Options
    Thanks @qweck - thought I missing something, the literature made it seem much more confusing lol !
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When you say coffee, you mean black coffee right?
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking only water between my 2 meals. :)
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do coffee/tea and can get away with 1-2 servings of whole earth monk fruit/stevia without any issue during a fast. Not so much with Aspartame.
  • Susabella627
    Options
    I have a cup or two of coffee whipped with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil. I wasn't intentionally fasting so I'm not sure if that is Ok. I'm really just not hungry but do enjoy my bullet coffee.
  • StevenB79
    StevenB79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That coconut oil is fuel and your body would burn it instead of the stored fat if you drink it during a fast and would more then likely break your fast. I've watched multiple Dr.s on youtube who say black coffee won't break a fast but put something in it and it will.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil will provide fat for fuel in the form of ketones, but it won't trigger an insulin response, and some of the benefits of fasting are based on the reduction of insulin and increased sensitivity to insulin which would still be realized with fat only consumption.
  • StevenB79
    Options
    wouldn't 120 calories break a fast? You don't need fuel during a fast your body is doing that to produce plenty of ketones from stored fats. And that is weight you aren't losing while burning the coconut oil.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    StevenB79 wrote: »
    wouldn't 120 calories break a fast? You don't need fuel during a fast your body is doing that to produce plenty of ketones from stored fats. And that is weight you aren't losing while burning the coconut oil.

It evens out in the long run. And 120 calories isn't that big of bump.
  • StevenB79
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So my MCT oil powder from dr colbert divine health wouldn't break my fast in coffee? It has carbs and fiber or should I use heavy whipping cream or mct oil?
  • Sugarnspice1922
    Sugarnspice1922 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    2 meals ...faints!!!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil will provide fat for fuel in the form of ketones, but it won't trigger an insulin response, and some of the benefits of fasting are based on the reduction of insulin and increased sensitivity to insulin which would still be realized with fat only consumption.

Thank you,I will put coconut oil or MCT in my coffee in stead of cream .I only drink water during my IF.
  • japostle
    japostle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The real question is - are you doing IF to induce autophagy? If so, most of the studies say that autophagy doesn't really kick in until after 16 hours of fasting, so having the coconut oil in your coffee will defeat the purpose of the fast.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Dr Berg You Tube recommends IF with meals at noon & 4 pm, but I'm not normally hungry till 6-7 pm so that's what I have been doing. Also, coffee with a bit of cream is fine...he says keep it to one cup but I do two. He says it could create an insulin response but you'll know if it stalls weight loss. I think he said oil in your coffee is fine also, but may not be for some people....it's worth watching his videos...informative.
  • signorasumma1770
    signorasumma1770 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...new to MFP! So one cup of coffee with a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream is a no go either???😬 This is all I have in the morning and then eat my first meal at 1, maybe nuts at 3 or 4, dinner between 6-7 and that’s it. I do this almost daily. I’ll have breakfast only on Sundays (Keto bread, eggs, spinach, hollandaise sauce).
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mct oil and coconut oil do break a fast and affect insulin.
  • Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options

True.....kinda

They do break a fast in my opinion but they do not affect insulin.

• Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »

True.....kinda

They do break a fast in my opinion but they do not affect insulin.

Breaking a fast is nothing more than consuming something which spikes blood glucose.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftmhASRlEc Friendly video, falls on the no-gos