Options
2»

Replies

• Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »

I’m not here to be negative so you shouldn’t be, I have good intentions. I am just pointing out that plenty of sites have conflicting information and others say it does. There are some that says it doesn’t. However I would not want to count on it not affecting me if it actually is. There is definitely a confirmation bias. I wish I could find a credible source that shows it. Everyone’s body is different, best thing to do is buy a tester and prick your finger and see if it affects you. All of the sources I use do say stay away from both during the fasting period as it will end it due to that reason and I rather be on the safe side even if there isn’t nothing to worry about. I am aware there are internet articles that say that it won’t do it. I am just wary to suggest to people to do something or not to do something especially if information conflicts.

From what I see the raising of blood sugar happens slightly in the minority of people that take it. So generally is safe if you are one of those people unaffected. But it does break a fast by kicking people out of autophagy and slowing down fat loss.

I’ll be doing more research and look at it objectively after work from both sides of the argument and I’ll use it to break my fast later to see if it affects me or not.

An example of why it is hard to believe is information like this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UDZoQjvTQ
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I am just pointing out that plenty of sites have conflicting information and others say it does.

Lots of debate on certain items... not just here, in a bunch of circles. When in doubt, it's usually best to stay away from it. I personally have nothing but water and black coffee (which I now prefer black over any other way, even in my eating window)....
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Can I assume that Powerade Zero will not break my fast? I need my electrolytes!
  • Damienriven
    Options
    Can I assume that Powerade Zero will not break my fast? I need my electrolytes!
    Powerade zero uses sucralose which won’t break it.
  • Susabella627
    Susabella627 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Quick question: If I wanted to test to see if something affects me by checking blood sugar, how long after you eat (or drink it) should you check?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Quick question: If I wanted to test to see if something affects me by checking blood sugar, how long after you eat (or drink it) should you check?

I would check before consuming it and then every 30 minutes afterwards. Some get slow responses but others respond quickly.

I tend to have cream and protein powder with my morning coffee. I consider it a pseudo delayed eating schedule. If I was going to fast completely for health issues, I would probably skip the cream and protein powder, especially if it was a fast of a few days.

On a side note, sucralose may have some calories/carbs due to a dextrose filler, which may cause a small insulin response. If it ends in "ose" or "itol" or "trin" it is a carb or sugar alcohol.

I like to use liquid stevia drops when I want a zero calorie sweetener.
  • Damienriven
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I would check before consuming it and then every 30 minutes afterwards. Some get slow responses but others respond quickly.

I tend to have cream and protein powder with my morning coffee. I consider it a pseudo delayed eating schedule. If I was going to fast completely for health issues, I would probably skip the cream and protein powder, especially if it was a fast of a few days.

On a side note, sucralose may have some calories/carbs due to a dextrose filler, which may cause a small insulin response. If it ends in "ose" or "itol" or "trin" it is a carb or sugar alcohol.

I like to use liquid stevia drops when I want a zero calorie sweetener.

This. Once before and maybe twice after. Half an hour and 2 hours after just to be safe. Fit goal posted a link in an another topic linking this video which I thought was interesting.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw
  • Susabella627
    Susabella627 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I always believed I was one of those people who wasn't affected by diet soda or diet tea, and they really never have stalled any weight loss in the past. I did give up artificial sweetners after cancer. I drank a lot of that stuff so who knows - but now I am curious to see if I get a BS response - would like to use stevia occasionally or drink a crystal light.
  • Damienriven
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thanks - I always believed I was one of those people who wasn't affected by diet soda or diet tea, and they really never have stalled any weight loss in the past. I did give up artificial sweetners after cancer. I drank a lot of that stuff so who knows - but now I am curious to see if I get a BS response - would like to use stevia occasionally or drink a crystal light.
    As far as I can tell most diet sodas are fine. There is a debate on if the sense of it being sweet is enough to hinder weight loss. Though most diet sodas I come across use aspartame and that doesn’t have a response. Though there may be an article on some site somewhere that may say it but I think most people and studies agree it is fine. It gets a bad wrap for one study where it was given to mice and they formed tumors but as Dr. David Sinclair stated the amount of aspartame given to those mice is so much a human couldn’t realistically consume that. However, people like Dr. Rhonda Patrick brought up it messes with the micro biome and can help lead people to obesity. I don’t know whenever it comes down to it just seems like everything has positives and negatives when it comes to sweeteners so definitely need to just look into each one yourself and decide what you want to take and which you want to avoid.