I can do this! Share your success stories.

Options
VictoryGarden
VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
edited March 2019 in Social Groups
I don't know how many of you are like me, but I've tried nearly every diet out there. Portion control, frequent small meals, low fat. eat less - exercise more!, eat more veggies, use a smaller plate, etc etc etc. On any one of those, I have NEVER lost more than 30 pounds before completely giving up. Those diets flip some sort of switch in my body and my head, and ALL I could do was focus on food and how STARVING I felt all the kitten time. I could eat a meal, and be hunger again in a hour. I could not out-motivate months of hunger when food was always just a fridge door away.

Carbs and sugar were my problem. I was addicted, BADLY. I needed some way to break that addiction, and keto is how I was able to accomplish that. I can now look at that stack of Girl Scout cookies, and honestly not crave one. For me to be able to say that is nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks largely to this group and what I have learned from you, today I am down 35 pounds (from a BMI of 39.9 to 34.7). Sure, I have 70-80ish more to go, but this WOE is completely sustainable for me. I don't follow the nutrition world very closely, but after starting keto, I was never hungry enough to eat breakfast most mornings. Heck, some days I only ate once a day because that one meal would make me full, and I now refuse to eat just because the time on the clock means it's lunch or supper time. I eat when I'm hungry. So I started doing various forms of intermittent fasting because keto just naturally led me to it!

If I had listened to all the mainstream advice, I would still be in the same boat, wondering why I never had the same willpower that many of them seem to have. Why I always failed. Why 1200-1300 cal's a day resulted in month long stalls, and I felt nothing but tired, weak, hungry, and awful.

So thank you to this group for being an island of hope in a vast sea of ignorance. I am guessing that I am not alone, and would love to hear everyone else's weight loss stories, or diabetes control success stories, or health parameters success stories, etc. Let's keep each other motivated with our own stories of success!

Replies

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure it will be an inspiration to others.

I am close to goal but check in almost every day to keep on track.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @brenn24179 Did you count calories as well or only carbs?
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    I am still in progress, and use MFP to mainly track macros, and keep an eye on the calories, but they are not the focus. Just an interesting additional tidbit of extra info.

For me, I am finding that my carb happy place is 10-25 net. I still struggle getting the protein in, however.
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    Oops, haha, missed that your q was for brenn!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @brenn24179 Did you count calories as well or only carbs?

yes I logged calories also. Like sherryshields says get well on the inside also, did some journaling about my emotional eating which helped, what is eating me?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you! The control over food is what this woe is all about! I’ve sat in front of doughnuts and had no desire for them! Just as you all I’ve passed on the cookies, and cakes too! I don’t see them as food anymore! My thinking about fuel for my body has shifted to completely avoiding fake foods now!

Just the term “fuel for my body” would have been laughable five years ago! I always thought the people who used those terms were talking nonsense. Now it’s part of my vernacular!!

I love what this low carb/Keto/carnivore woe has done for me! I don’t ever plan to eat any other way again!
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    Best of luck to you Sherryshields at your upcoming doc appt!
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @VictoryGarden I totally agree with your assessment. I have seen better results with Keto than all other diets combined. It’s the first time I don’t feel hungry all the time. I also have incorporated IF and still count calories. It has really been an eye opener how addicted I was to processed high carb foods. I’m still trying to understand the astounding negativity that has been placed on “ keto diet”; in the media and even MFP; I’ve never seen or heard another diet get this much backlash. It may not work for everyone but it definitely has for me 😃
  • VictoryGarden
    Options
    Sidetracking my own thread - What are the various methods of measuring body fat?

Calipers are an old school way IIRC, but I see people sometimes talking about a "Dexscan" (sp?). Where do you go to get one of those, and how much do they cost?

Are there other ways?
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sidetracking my own thread - What are the various methods of measuring body fat?

Calipers are an old school way IIRC, but I see people sometimes talking about a "Dexscan" (sp?). Where do you go to get one of those, and how much do they cost?

Are there other ways?

Dexa scans can be pricey to do them often. Do a Google search for a facility that does them in your location. You may find sporting, rehab, bodybuilding, fitness facilities etc may do them. At some locations they may do a membership to lower the price on how many you do in a given time etc.. If you are going to use that method I recommend you read up on how water in your body can affect the reading of the scans though.

I used calipers until most of my fat was gone and got a membership to do Dexa scans as my fat mostly dropped off and I started also concentrating on building lean mass.
    Calipers are good but they are also vulnerable to the person using them. If you are consistent on how you measure and where you measure exactly on your body you can find differences in the measurements. It's a bit harder to do if there is a lot of fat to measure and if there is a lot of bloat. Sometimes you may not be able to very accurately get a grasp of the amount of fat in that area you are measuring. Overall though I like the method. You will need another person to help you do certain areas of your body. There's calculation formulas on line to get your %.
  • sherryshields
    sherryshields Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keto got me off diabetes meds. I told the nurse I was going to get my A1C down with diet, and she said she did not want to discourage me, but no one ever did that. I might be able to slow the rate at which things got worse, but diabetes was a progressive disease where I would add drugs and not stop taking them. I would be on insulin before it was over.

My last couple of A1C's were mid 5's with no meds.

Stick with it...

Thanks for the encouragement! I plan to stick with it. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you back on the forums @PaulChasinDreams.... can I assume you will be adding to our dinner photos thread sometime soon? :)
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Glad to have you back on the forums @PaulChasinDreams.... can I assume you will be adding to our dinner photos thread sometime soon? :)

Hi @canadjineh :) Not too sure how often I'll be on here and posting. Time is spread so thin right now. Bought a cabin on one of the Gulf Islands over here and have been clearing land, cleaning up, prepping for reno's and starting up a charter business so very swamped right now. But will be popping in and out. Nice to see you're still on the forum! Cheers Eh! :)