Shaking and fast heart rate part of keto flu?

ActionxCat
ActionxCat Posts: 4 Member
Hi all!

I'm super new to keto, I started it around four days ago, and so far I've been loving it. At first I noticed more energy and just a better feeling as well as great weight loss. But today I woke up on day five and first thing I went to take a shower and suddenly I started feeling dizzy, lightheaded, as well as shakey as hell. I could also feel my heart beating like it was trying to get out of my chest. It's not until I sit that I have most of the symptoms go away, but I'm still pretty shakey. It's been like this for about an hour now and it's not going away. It all comes back whenever I try to stand and move around.

Is this part of the keto flu? Is this just my body getting used to things and this will eventually pass?

Let me know if you guys have experienced anything similar. Thanks!

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I had a bit of fluctuations initially when the sodium/electrolytes were a bit out of wack but nothing to the level of what you describe above. I tend not to play around with heart stuff and for safety its always worth a doctor check if it gets uncomfortable.

If you went from a very high carb diet straight to keto the body would be just about finished wiping out the glucose reserves. Body could be looking for fuel sources. Have you checked your blood sugar to make sure its not super low?

Note: The information provided is not intended to be medical advice. Simply suggestions based on personal experiences.
  • Candy_Mountains
    Candy_Mountains Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2019
    There will be a lot of strange symptoms with switching over to keto. Being a little light headed is normal as your body learns to use fat for fuel instead of carbs. Essentially your body is addicted to carbs and goes through a withdrawal period. It doesn't last long, hang in there!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    It could be low electrolytes. More sodium, about 2 tsp of salt a day, will help. Sounded like some low BP, which electrolytes and water will help.

That was also symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia. Falling blood glucose levels, even if they are not even low, can cause shaking, light headedness and brain fog. It takes a few weeks for the body to get used to using fats and ketones. You are still in that grey zone. A small handful of nuts, other other mixed macro foods might help. Taking exogenous ketones might help too.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Racing heart can be a symptom of dehydration. (In cardiac rehab, the nurses always checked our heart rates after monitored exercise, and if high, gave us a couple of glasses of water to drink, re-checking the rate again after some rest).

Dizziness, etc. could also be a sign of going too low in calories. Keto turns off the hunger signals in many of us, and if you are not prepared for it, you could under-eat, especially if active. Maybe recheck your intake and make sure that you are not at too severe a calorie deficit.

Best wishes for success!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Keto flu is just low sodium.
    It is 100% preventable and everything you described fits as symptoms.
    The symptoms are not “normal”... meaning you should not ignore them but they are normal as what happens when sodium gets low. Take some salt (1/2tsp) ASAP. You’ll feel better in 15 minutes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Salt, more salt, and even more salt.

I like to put it under my tongue for pretty instant relief, but get it into you any way you can, being sodium deficient is dangerous.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I honestly just pop a stock cube in my mouth when I'm feeling crappy. Definitely helps.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    In most cases as said above it would be taken care of with electrolytes being on track. Potassium, magnesium and especially sodium. When eating low carb you need way more sodium than you would on a regular carb laden diet. There is NO reason to have to deal with keto flu symptoms when they are completely fixable!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I always try to explain this because sodium is another brainwashing we’ve all received from the medical and food communities.

When your body produces ketones (the byproduct of burning fat) these ketones are excreted via the urine, and they grab sodium and magnesium to take with them when they go. So every time you urinate you’re losing sodium and magnesium. So, when we say “You need sodium” what we are talking about is replacing the sodium your body is losing through fat burning.

When we get enough sodium and magnesium from the beginning we can completely avoid any of these symptoms. But if allowed to go long enough it begins to affect potassium levels too, which will manifest as the racing heart symptoms.

Recommendations: salt everything you eat to the tune of 3000-5000mg a day, use a magnesium supplement (anything but the “oxide” type since it doesn’t absorb well and causes loose stools) daily, and also you can use “No-Salt” to help replace the lost potassium.

Also, read about the electrolyte needs in the Launch Pad of the Low Carber Daily group. This balance is so important to the success of Keto dieting. I’m afraid that many people give up when they feel this way thinking it doesn’t work for them when all they needed was to replace the sodium their body was losing!

I hope this helps you understand this a little better! Best of luck to you!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Thank you @baconslave !
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Another push for upping that S O D I U M :)