Mushrooms in March!

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Salad looks great Carla!

The snack monster hit me at work today and I ate some pretzels, but other than that a good ETL day.

B - usual oats and additions
    L - black bean soup, 2 clementines
    D - lettuce and veggies in a sprouted grain tortilla

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi there!
    @Carla_wfpb , your salad looks amazing!

I made these today, and my son loved them. No oil, no refined sugar (but sweetened with dates). I was careful not to call them oatmeal raisin cookies. He has eaten half the batch already.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/?recipe-id=579&recipe-name=Oatmeal-Raisin-Cookies

As I am still working to lose weight, I passed on the cookies, and had a great ETL day:
    B - smoothie (spinach, cold brew coffee, flax seed meal, blueberries), a few golden berries
    L - steamed spinach, lentils dressed with mustard and nooch
    S - apple slices and walnuts
    D - huge salad (romaine, tomato, onions, red cabbage, red bell pepper, baby carrots) with a dressing of almond butter, cashew milk, ginger, and vinegar from the pickled onion jar again; also some steamed onions

I just got back from a spinning and yoga class, and am officially beat and ready for bed!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Oh, my. I just tried massaging kale for a salad. Amazing! Wow! @magic71755 and @Carla_wfpb , thanks for passing this on. I have never considered kale in a salad because I was sure I would not like it. This changed the texture completely, and the taste, too, I think.

I googled it after you guys talked about it, and was worried that it required large amounts of dressing to work, as most items called for massaging it with oil. Then I came across this article, which asserts that the magic really is in the massage. So I tried it, and was delighted! I added a lightweight, no-oil nutritarian dressing, along with chopped red cabbage, diced tomato, a bit of diced apple, and pickled raw onions. Yum!
    https://www.latimes.com/food/la-xpm-2012-mar-10-la-fo-calcook-20120310-story.html

Thank you!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' All... big day of work ahead for me. Really under pressure on several cases plus still in the midst of tax season. My goal is to get as much as possible done in the office today and be able to work from home tomorrow. We'll see how it works out.

Going to hit the grocery tonight and try to do a better job of prepping for the week than I have the past couple weeks.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @Mihani ! I hope your big day of work went well!

I had a good ETL day today.

I made a no-oil version of this Connoisseurus Veg Spinach Dal. It's quite good! I need to check out more of their recipes.

For my salad meal, I included massaged kale again today. Thanks again, Magic and Carla, for sharing that idea.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I like that website too Austin. My favorite cashew ranch dressing is from that.

I'm heading to the office again for a few hours, then will be working from home the rest of the day. I'm under extra pressure this time of year.

Plan for today:

B - oats with all the usual goodies
    L - steamer bag of veggies tossed with a little braggs and dijon, a clementine, a few walnuts
    D - Eat Your Greens soup, an apple with a few raisins and some sunflower seeds

I've been adding a can of beans (usually chickpeas) or about 1/3 cup red lentils to the Eat Your Greens soup to make it a GBOMBS bonanza.
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
    Options
    CARLA! That Salad! O M G! So beautiful. <3 YUM!

Doing great here...and from the sounds of it...so are all of you guys. Yay! I am hooked on oatmeal in the morning...GF organic (Nature's Path) raw (Just like Dr. Esselstyn...lol) with berries, flaxseed and banana, almond milk. I hate to miss a day, it is just that good.

I have been following the YOUTUBE channels of WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED COOKING SHOW ...and THE HAPPY PEAR. They do cook with oil, you just have to omit that. The twins have been vegan for ...oh I think 18 years...they live are from Ireland and their YOUTUBES are really fun. Highly recommend.

Today's Menu:

Black Coffee
    Oatmel as decribed above
    lentils and rice
    cuties
    massaged kale salad with avocado, sunflower seeds, strawberries, nutritional yeast, freshly squeezed lemon
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Your oatmeal sounds great, Magic! My husband has something similar every day, only he uses a bit of dark cherry juice instead of plant milk and adds walnuts, then microwaves the whole thing. I have it on weekends and in the winter and then smoothies the rest of the time because I can throw them together faster.

Sorry you ended up having to go into work, Mihani! You should take a week off, starting april 16. One day, you will take a vacation and shock the hell out of us all!

Austin, the whole kale thing blew me away too. I'd heard about it before and kind of scoffed, but once I actually tried it, I was amazed. The massaging totally changes the flavor as well, like you noticed. All this kale talk and I'm thinking it is time to make a big kale salad soon.

Speaking of salad, that salad I made was so nice to have in the fridge. I haven't gotten past snacking, but I don't feel so bad when I can have something healthy like that. I bought some new little bowls (the pic the other day is one of them) and they are all different colors and on the small side. I figured that will help me with portion control.

mhal9z75gtge.png

• Mihani
    Options
    Love those bowls Carla. I have a few pieces of fiesta ware and would like to expand my collection.

Hi Magic, glad you are doing well!

Austin, I may have missed it but I was wondering how long you've been doing martial arts? I have taken Tai Chi a few times, and really enjoyed it.

I ended up skipping lunch and had the soup for an early dinner with some sprouted grain avocado toast. I also made a cheesy sauce from the Hello Nutritarian plan with cashews, water, nooch, spices. I think it will make the steamer bags of veggies I've been eating for lunch a lot more enjoyable. I also juiced several lemons and going to try to get into a habit of hot lemon water in the morning to cut down on my tea consumption.

Looked for Dr. F's app and apparently it's not for android. Bummer. Maybe they will make it available at some point, but Dr. Greger's app is fine.

• AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hey, @Mihani , sorry to have missed answering that question. I have been studying martial arts off and on for about ten years. My journey to lose weight and get healthier is a part of that work. I have done Tai Chi but have not learned it (I know some, but couldn't lead it). It's a great thing to study, for sure!

Today was a good ETL day. Lunch was ConnoisseurusVeg's spinach dal on a bed of steamed greens. I really love that recipe.

Dinner was a huge delicious salad that included massaged kale, my new favorite addition! I put some in my husband's salad, and he did not recognize it as kale!

Also, today I made Red Lentil Soup with Lemon (but with no oil). It's a nice basic recipe, but if you try it, know that the spices needed to be substantially increased for our palate. We love cumin, and for us, this was too subtle as written.
  • magic71755
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Nutritarians! Alert...I have to tell you about this great YouTuber I found that is all about Dr. F and his program ETL. Her name is Cheri. Her show is so much fun...so informative...she is personality plus. I have chosen one little video that showcases her excitement and love of the program, featuring berries. She has tons. I highly recommend her ...she also has facebook page. She is also a coach and runs challenges...one just started the 25th of March.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I forgot to tell you...her YOUTUBE channel is called: The Watering Mouth Also, she lives in Las Vegas...she has seen Dr. Fuhrman speak so many times at the Expos and has interviewed him. She is so funny...she interviewed him in his hotel room and had him show us all the food he brought with him to have on hand. Sure enough, he walks the talk.

Oh, and Dr. F has a retreat in San Diego...she went there...I can't find the YOUTUBE on that...but it is in there. I am just so excited to share this with you. I am so getting into this ETL life! HAGDE! <3

I love that I found this sweet, close nit group to hang with and share our love of this great life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i7L7ohG1rU
  • magic71755
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mushroom.gifmushroom.gifmushroom.gifJust found this on MUSHROOMS...thought it was appropriate. I am just so excited... this one really showcases her love and excitement about ETL! Hope you check her out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CactXDLrgsE

PS: I live alone with my Lulu...I am the only one who eats this way in my real life...so playing these YOUTUBES in my home as I prep and cook...(and clean the house), just helps me so much. I love the postive connection I feel with these guys on Youtube who are so passionate about this lifestyle.
  • magic71755
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This is my plan today, dear ETLrs!

black coffee

oatmeal with flaxsee, strawberries and banana...and first time using soy milk...bought the Westsoy that is NON GMO and Organic.

Green Smoothie...left over from yesterday: organic berries frozen from Costco Triple Berry Blend, spinach, bit of almond milk that was left...and 16 ounces maybe more of water. I really liked it. I do not think I like smoothies with banana...too thick. Nor do I like cherries in smoothies. Jury is still out...cuz I love love love fresh cherries! Lots has gone down the sink...I like this one cuz it was thin and not too sweet.

Going across town today for a hair cut...will be near a Whole Foods...think I will splurge and go in ...(YIKES $$$$)....but I it is like Disneyland to us...so I want to check it out. Lots of Engine 2 products that might work for me on my long work days F: 7am - 8pm S: 8am - 8pm

Lunch: massaged kale salad.

Dinner: grilled veggie salad. California Pizza Kitchen used to make this. I hope I can remember...the lettuce is romaine grilled...with an assortment of veggies.

Dessert: banana chocolate icecream made in the blender... banana, unsweetened cocoa, almond milk , one medjool date
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Magic, thanks for all the links. I'll have to check those out later this week. Sounds like you had a great ETL day. How did you make out at Whole Foods?

Austin, I should sign up for another Tai Chi course. They are usually 8 weeks. I've done it a few times. It's not strenuous exercise at all of course, but I feel good when I do it. I bookmarked the dal recipe, will give it a try soon.

Had another good ETL kind of day...

B - oats with the usual additions
    L - green beans with cashew cheese sauce, brown rice cake, apple with a dab of sunflower seed butter
    D - Eat Your Greens soup, slice of sprouted grain bread with avocado

I'm overdoing the starches, which is pretty typical for me, but as long as I'm not going totally overboard I'm okay with it for now.
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hello, all!

@Mihani , a Tai Chi class sounds great!

Magic, how was your Whole Foods trip? And are you happy with your haircut?

As an FYI on the Spinach Dal recipe, it is one of those dishes that ages nicely. I just ate the second-to-last helping, and I swear it has only gotten better. It went from "this is pleasant" to "wow" after being refrigerated and left for a day or so. Oh, and I have been adding a spoonful or two of nutritional yeast.

Yesterday was a great ETL day:
    B - the usual spinach, blueberry and flaxseed smoothie, plus a few deliciously tart goldenberries
    L - steamed spinach with a half cup of Spinach Dal and some nutritional yeast, apple slices
    S - apple slices, walnuts
    D - huge salad with dressing of almond butter, nutritional yeast and cashew milk

Today will be similar. Lunch today also included a small smoothie of spinach, green cabbage, cashew milk and water.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Magic, what did you end up getting at Whole Foods? We have one about 40 minutes from here and everything is so tempting!

Our local Safeway stopped carrying Food for Life (Ezekiel bread, etc.) products. I'm not sure why because every time they have it in stock we always buy multiples because they seem to be out so often. I'm hoping that the reason they aren't going to carry it anymore is because there is a new grocery store opening next door and that the new store will concentrate on healthier options while Safeway does the SAD thing.

I should get in a good workout today! My parents are coming over and the 4 of us are going to do a bunch of yard work. The offer was to take them out for lunch and go for a walk, but they would rather work in our yard. That's okay by me!

I made tu-no salad yesterday and once again was reminded about how much I love it!! Here's the one I make if anyone is interested: https://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2011/04/15/tu-no-salad-wraps/

I have it over leafy greens or on sprouted grain english muffins for a treat.

I've played with it a bit and I always add turmeric because why not and when I want to change it from tu-no salad to mock egg salad, I add black salt instead of regular. (Also, they don't have salt in their recipe, but 1/2 tsp of salt or black salt if egg version makes a big difference in the flavor for me)

• Mihani
    Options
    Hope you had a nice visit with the family Carla.

It has been a super busy week, working late into the evenings every day. I am going to bed early tonight.

B - usual oats with additions
    L - steamer bag of mixed veggies, couple brown rice cakes
    D - stopped for carry-out from a local healthy food place (all their stuff is ETL compliant) and got a bowl with quinoa, tofu, raw veggies

• magic71755
    Options
    The only thing I got at Whole Foods was some Engine 2 Plant Strong products...really just to help me on my long days at work...Fri/Sat. 13/12 hours. I could have gotten into all the really different varities of veggies that I do not see at Sprouts or my markets...but I just didn't.

Today's Menu:
    2 Black Coffee
    Oatmeal with the usual suspects
    celery with Engine 2 Plant Strong Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
    Rice Tortilla with Daiya Mozza cheese shreds on the panini press...really crispy, cut into wedges and a great take along for work
    Veggie soup
    cuties and fresh strawberries
    Massaged Kale Salad

I may not eat all of this at work...but I know from experience, at about 6:30, I am looking for something that is NOT on my program. We have a soft serve ice cream machine at work...(I am a receptionist at luxury car dealership)...all the ice cream we want. I DON"T WANT ANY!

That's my plan for today. Wishing you all a great day.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hey Magic, good for you for making sure you have something tasty and healthy to choose at 6:30! Your menu looks delicious!

Carla, how great that your parents wanted to help in the yard. I hope you guys had fun!

Mihani, did you make it to bed early and rest up? You have sure sounded busy!

I am having a good ETL day. I had garbanzo beans on a bed of greens and some fresh apple for lunch, and I am looking forward to a huge salad for dinner.

Does anybody have big weekend plans? I am headed to a breathing and meditation clinic early tomorrow morning. I have been looking forward to this for weeks.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Austin, enjoy your clinic today...breathing and mediation...I need that. Have a great time out. (hehe, get it... :D )

Today is my other long day 8am - 8pm. I really don't mind these days...it ends up giving me a 3 day weekend. Anyway, I am retirement age...way past (70), so most of my peeps are available on my weekends Tue - Thu.

Menu not as great as yesterday...out of salad stuff.

Today's Menu:
    2 Black Coffee
    Oatmeal with the usual suspects
    celery with Engine 2 Plant Strong Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
    Rice Tortilla with Daiya Mozza cheese shreds on the panini press...really crispy, cut into wedges and a great take along for work
    Veggie soup
    cuties and fresh strawberries
    Gotta figure out something here...I DID NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE ICE CREAM MACHINE YESTERDAY! VICTORY! o:)

Have a great Saturday, everyone!