April 2019

Options
NicoleL874
NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
Hey everyone! You want more activity here? You want more accountability?

NEW MONTH, NEW YOU!

It's April 1.

EXERCISE: This month, I am committing to continue my PiYo Program. (Beach Body on Demand, I'm not a coach, not doing their products, just like their exercise programs) Last month, I pushed too hard to try and maintain daily workouts and ended up with a litany of injuries. So, this month, I'm dedicated to also listening to my body and being flexible with my schedule when needed.

I hate pushups. So I'm going to try and do them. I have to do them on my knees, and don't want to, so I'm going to do them on my stairs instead. I read an article that this is supposed to help build the right muscles to then be able to do them on the floor.

FOOD: I'm committing to continue my no-added sugar diet. I've been doing this since mid-Feb (huge hiccup when I visited my parents).

I'm also committing to making some type of healthy, veggie at least once a week. My boyfriend is a creature of habit, so once a week is rough for him. Typically, we have a stew, lentil soup, or a grilled protein with either grilled peppers and onions or a green salad. My body is craving variety, lol!

WEIGHT: I'm still working on losing my regain. I've finally gone 2lbs lower than my pre-plastics weight, so I have 11lbs to where I want to be, 14lbs to the goal I never reached! For April, I'm hoping to see a loss, lol! I would love to see a steady .5 lb/week, but it's been rough.

Exercise, Food, and Weight are my categories. Feel free to use them, create your own, whatever...I'm hoping this will get people to refocus and reach out as needed! We're here, the group is ours to use as we need!

Check in as often as you'd like. My goal will be Mondays.

HAPPY APRIL!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I need to be more active in everything. This week I am really trying to re-focus. My exercise has been good and varied. I have the Peloton so it’s in my house and I get a lot of variety.

My eating got out of control. I am going to try and follow the Bariatric Eating Inspire Diet to help me at least focus. We are going back to NY in a couple of weeks so I know I will indulge but if I can at least make it more manageable by getting myself back in control ahead of time I figure I can get ahead of things.

Hoping to lose my regain and get back in the right direction. Also trying to focus on what I have lost and kept off...

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I need to focus on increasing my physical activity this month. Also, I really need to plan better for weekends, that's when I really tend to go off track! I want to lose this regain!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    April is going to be a crazy month for me!! We leave this Saturday for Ft. Lauderdale, Florida where we will get on a cruise ship. We will sail across the Atlantic Ocean with the first stop a week later in th Azores, Portugal! Then two stops in Spain! The we end up in Rome, Italy two weeks after we get on the ship! We will spend two more nights in Rome, and then fly home.

So I will be gone from the 6th through the 24th!

My plan is to do a lot of walking around the ship! I know I will be surrounded by food, but I will make the best choices I can. A lot of the higher carb foods (sweets, pies, cake, donuts...)give me migraines and bad fibromyalgia pain so that makes it easier to avoid them.

I plan to have WiFi on the trip, so I hope to see y’all while I’m out there!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    My work has disabled java so I can't thumbs' up or Woo or Hug anything, lol! I'm glad we've got people on board! Reach out if needed!

Anyone is welcome to join at any time!
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Loving this! This month for me is focused on clean eating, hitting my water goals, and getting back in the gym!!
  • HelloBodyJoy
    HelloBodyJoy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone,

I’m fairly new here to the community (but not to MFP) and still kinda figuring out participating in a social forum like this. Also figuring out the various tools available, including my pouch and bariatric keto.

As a fairly active grandma, now 6 years post-RNY, who fell about 40 lbs shy of reaching goal, it took me 3+ years to regain 55 of the 117 pounds I did lose. During that time, my husband of 40 years died after a major trauma, and I’m just now feeling like I can pay attention again.

For April 2019, I’ll piggyback off of the categories Nicole used above.

Exercise: I commit to doing my physical therapy exercises as prescribed daily and walking for a total of 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.

Food: I commit to logging daily and creating a weekly menu to help make shopping and daily prep easier.

Weight: I commit to continue my habit of weighing daily when not traveling, accepting weekly fluctuations, and focusing instead on the monthly trend. I also commit to updating my measurements this month. I’m down nearly 10 pounds in about the last three months, so that leaves ~45 pounds to get back to my lowest after surgery.

Cheers and success to all,
    Gigi
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I’m so glad to see more people here too!! This is awesome! I will say that the forums (Low Carber Daily, Keto, an Over 50 Ladies Group that’s sister to the low carb group, and a Carnivore group) have kept me focused on myself too.

Everyday I pop back over here too to see if there’s any activity, so I’m so glad to see some activity here too!! Thank you Nicole for starting this thread!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @HelloBodyJoy I’m so sorry for what you have been through! I can’t imagine the loss of a spouse!! The pain must be terrible!! I pray the memories you have give you comfort and provide some peace for you!

Being a grandma must keep you busy!!

Keto is a great way of eating that can give us control over food we never realized existed! I’m here anytime you have questions. Whether you need to bring them here or in a message! Also, do consider the other groups I mentioned above. They’re private, but the ability to learn about this way of life is endless!

And thank you for the friend request!! I’m always happy to have new friends! Even if we don’t eat the same we can support each other, so if anyone else wants another friend, I’m here!!

Hugs to you, and everybody!!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    CHECKING IN!!!!

How is everyone doing? I'm still working my behind off with PiYo! I'm ahead of schedule because there were two short programs that just screamed to be done together. (The end of one she even says, "if you're feeling good, go ahead and jump in to..." so I did!)

I've been neglecting the push ups. By the time I get home I'm exhausted. Most of the workouts incorporate some type of push ups, so I don't feel horrible, but I did find an app to try and get me doing them. I am able to do 12 with good form, on my third stair, lol

Food is fine. I'm increasing my calories starting today. Instead of doing intermittent fasting every day, I've decided to try a 24-hour fast once a week. Wednesday after dinner to Thursday at dinner. It's not something I'm committing to, just going to try. I like the idea of the benefits of autophagy, which really can't be hit during a 16:8 anyway, and I can't seem to get enough food in during a 16:8 fast because of the amount of restriction I have.

I did have a bit of a wheat binge. My ovaries demanded brownies. I did sugar free at least. I don't feel bad, I am bloated and paying for it on the scale, but I'm ok with it.

@jcavanna2 how's the eating been? I know you're good with exercise when your schedule allows it, but your food is more a struggle because of your situation. Any way I can help?

@garber6th did you come up with any plans? Physical or weekend-wise? Also, any way I can help out? Let me know!

@SimplementeSM how is your focus? Getting there? If you need any help with recipes or anything, reach out!

@HelloBodyJoy how's it all going? Meal planning? Prepping? Weighing daily? Loving on them Grandbabies whenever possible??? :smile:

@KarlaYP I'm totally jealous about your cruise! Have the greatest time!!!!! If you need help, I can be helilifted onto the ship. I WOULDN'T MIND! :lol:

Seriously, if anyone has a way I can help, let me know, reach out. I'm available here Mon-Wed until 2pm CST, Thurs until 12pm CST...Fri varies. I'm more than happy to share my email via private message if needed. Reach out!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @NicoleL874 doing okay - the Inspire Diet has been tough to follow to a tee, but doing ok. I bought the Cacktacki bottle which is so helpful for water tracking. It’s definitely helped. Did a decent workout this morning and try to be active daily but missed the last 3 days which isn’t like me but going through work depression so trying to pull myself up...
  • garber6th
    Options
    I struggled a bit over the weekend. I really do need to plan better. One thing I did do was meal prep, I made a nice big pot of turkey chili and portioned it out and put it in the freezer. I had made chili verde last weekend too and I have a bunch of that in the freezer as well. Monday through Friday is easy, weekends when I don't have a schedule throw me off, but my goal for this week is to make a plan for the weekend!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Monday through Friday is easy, weekends when I don't have a schedule throw me off, but my goal for this week is to make a plan for the weekend!

That's something I have to be better at as well. When I'm at work, I know what I'm eating and when. It's all the same. When I'm off work, things get willy nilly! Really, not too bad for me, I end up under-eating, which can be as detrimental. I tend to make a nice healthy breakfast, then putter out...

Always a work in progress, right?
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @NicoleL874 water goals are going great and I'm exercising more consistently. I've identified my snacking "opportunities" and I'm working to put a plan in place. Basically, I like to eat in the evenings and weekends are tough. Especially when I don't have any plans!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options

@NicoleL874 Glad you started this thread. You couldn’t have had better timing *smile*

I’m back in weight loss mode. Right now, I’m up 12 pounds. I’ve been consistent going to the gym but, I can’t out exercise a bad diet. I’ve been justifying my food choices for months.

I’m committed to:

Finding my discipline and being accountable.

Going back to my weight loss food plan.

I need to get out of my food rut. I’ve been eating the same menu items over and over. (shakes, riced cauliflower, eggs, chicken) I’m going to cook/prep healthy flavorful meals.

Night snacking - I'm Going to allow myself hummus and veggies only
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    I have found that like @garber6th weekends are hard for me. During the week at work, it is so much easier to stay on point. I am trying to track on the weekends. I do a lot of meal prep on Sundays, however, we are going back home to NY for a visit next week so fortunately I have a lot of food previously prepped and frozen so eating my way through that. Whenever we go home, we bring a cooler and get really good stuff that isn't the same quality as here in NC (we moved here 6 years ago). Anyway, what has also helped me is my Peloton. I didn't get a chance to get on this morning but told my husband when I get home he needs to allow me some time for myself where I can get on and do a ride, or a yoga class, something. Typically when I get home I have my Velcro human kid and dogs attached to me. Not tonight. I'm trying to learn to be more assertive with my needs.

I go to bed super early (8/8:30) and get up at 4 am. I'm trying to listen to my body and after dinner really pay attention to whether I am full or not. If I'm not, I'm going to try and drink some flavored herbal teas so I still have something without it being more calorie dense.

Some good food sites I use for meal prep (and not all are geared to being specifically healthy - but I make my own portion sizes and plug into MFP): Skinnytaste, Emily Bites, Peace, Love and Low Carb, Damn Delicious, Mel's Kitchen Café and Once Upon A Chef.

• fit_chickx
    Options
    Feeling pretty good today. Finding my weight loss mojo. Commitment to make flavorful healthy food and get out of my food rut. (stay on plan)

I found wing sauce packets at Walmart. I coated pork chops with parmesan garlic wing sauce. It was wonderful. No prep time. Season and put it in the oven. I’m going to try the mango habanero on chicken soon.

Don’t knock it unless you try it . Potage (French pureed vegetable soup) It has a small amount of sweet potato. Its seasoned with nutmeg, clove and bay leaf. The smell in my house was heavenly.

@jcavanna2 thanks for the recipe sites. I need to listen to my body for hunger signals. Right now, it’s a work in progress. I have been drinking chamomile lavender tea before bed. I add a splash of vanilla protein shake instead of creamer. Its calming and helps me sleep.

Hope all is well.
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    4 down. Hope its not all water weight.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    So glad to see everyone using the board more! Yay!

I was struggling. Hope it's over. I can share here, because none of you are even remotely close to the situation. My closest friend (family by choice) has an odd relationship with her daughter. Well, last week, her daughter told her she thought she was pregnant. Within five minutes it turned to, I am pregnant, not sure when I'm due, but it's soon. My bf is not the father. I need help. There's so much complexity here, but that's the gist.

So, it's been a week of an emotional trials. I've taken her out several times, and allowed myself (for no good reason) to eat poorly with her. Her support bud. Bleh. Been fooling myself. I made the sugar-free brownies. Sugar-free, but gluten filled.

I feel like crap and know that it's all the crud I've been shoving in my face. It's not been much, and it's not been too often, but I can feel it.

Today, I got a text when I woke up, they are inducing. Keep reassuring her that it's best this way, one week of stress instead of 10 months. (Daughter is giving the baby up)

So, it's been stressful. I've been a part of their lives for 20 years now. When I say family, they are the family I was with on holidays because my own family didn't call.

I have to stop making stupid excuses. I have to focus on me. I know food is not a solution, and I feel like crap. Whether it be menstrual related, emotionally tied, whatnot...food cannot be the answer. So easier said than done sometimes.

So I picked myself up today. I threw out the rest of the brownies. I ignored the break room (even the nuts). I'm going to focus on me.

I'm with everyone else, weekends are HAAAAAARD (insert best whine). Our schedule is never static, so I hate planning. He doesn't eat lunch, so I tend to eat small, quick things. Our dinners are never an issue, we eat the same things over and over...which really doesn't bother me, except veggies. I'm slowly adding them in on the sly every week.

Water is not a problem. I'm floating away over here! My minimum water daily intake is 96oz. Yup, I said minimum...
  • garber6th
    Options
    @NicoleL874 it's sometimes SO hard to go through "stuff" and not get thrown off our plan. Like I mentioned in a prior post, I was really letting menopause get to me physically and emotionally and I took on a serious "*kitten* it" attitude until I got it together again. It's still a struggle but I am more focused now and it's getting better.

I started a little side hustle with an artist friend of mine that I work with. Of all things I had to get myself into, we are making cookies together. Fortunately at this point I have my recipes down pat and I don't need to taste, but I have to really watch it because it's easy to automatically take a bite of cookie dough without even thinking. I had to make 5 dozen cookies last night and I made sure I brought them to my friend at work today so they weren't in the house, just in case. (Shameless plug - my friend's IG is @nehaassar and our IG for our cookies is @hennameetscookie)

One thing that is also helping me - my company has a wellness program where we can earn gift cards for things like gym check-ins and completing "missions" which can be anything from getting steps in, meal planning, etc. I am not ashamed to admit that I am competitive and I can totally be motivated by gift cards!
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am very late to this party!! So wish my month had gone better but I am joining now. Hopefully you guys will keep going in May (will have a little more bandwidth then). Lots of travel and work that kept me away from the gym, emergency stuff with family and now of course Easter. Taking my grandkids to the beach so that should be lots of exercise! My first priority is to get back to my low carb/high protein for lunch/dinner. And I want to accept that over Easter I may slip a little but hoping (I know hope is not a strategy) I can lose the five pounds I gained by end of month. Been AWOL at the gym and my hours are crazy but figure I need to get up at 5am and make it work.....wish me luck!!!