VGS 5 Years Out - Keto?

kjs1228
kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
I've regained 30 pounds and am giving keto a whirl...but not sure if it is for me. Anyone else who had weight loss surgery been successful doing keto a few years out?

Thanks.

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Well I'm 14 and 1/2 months out. I struggle with keto though. I did stall last half of last year because I guess I thought the weight would come off without me doing any work...I got lazy I gained about 6
    Pounds from my lowest weight since surgery. Not compared with 30 pounds though. Keto can be a good weight loss tool. Probably another experienced person in keto may be able to help you more. I did lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks. But I also do the InTERMITTENT fasting... The 16:8 method. I would get headaches, dizziness and nausea near the end of my fast; around10:30 to 11:30.. When, I ate some carbs the symptoms would go away. But, I found that this can be avoided by getting the proper electrolytes which I did. I am currently doing a 48 hour fast. I'm in my 28 th hour. I'm just waiting to get sleepy. I have superenergy!. You probably can give it a try at least. See how it pans out for you. Much Success
    Lee
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I’ve been Keto since I began eating solid foods after my surgery four years ago. I don’t plan to ever eat any other way.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    I had VSG in 2014, went from 230 down to 170. By summer 2018, I regained and weighed 203. I had previously done low carb dieting with some success pre-VSG. So, in July 2018, I went keto and have stuck to it faithfully. My weight has decreased from 203 to 183. I track blood glucose and that has definitely improved. I feel good. Recommended reading: the obesity code by Jason fung. It advocates for keto and some intermittent fasting, as well as for adding in a lot of fiber to your diet. I think that the small changes I adopted from that book have helped me to get out of a plateau and start losing again over the past 4 weeks.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    I'm doing a modified bariatric keto, the fat isn't quite as high as mainstream keto. I started it back in Nov. My weightloss has been slow, but consistent. I measure regularly and those are also consistently improving.
  • kjs1228
    kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
    May I ask if you are also counting calories?
  • KarlaYP
    @kjs1228 When first starting Keto calories aren’t very important because the carb/sugar withdrawals can be tough and you just need to eat. So if you go over what that set calories are I wouldn’t worry about it too much. But the beauty of Keto (for most people) is that it makes you not hungry after a little while and then it becomes easy to stay within the set calorie amount.

So it’s not a real calorie count, but more of a carb, protein, and fat count. The carbs are a set maximum, protein is a minimum you want to get every day, and fat is a number that you find that will work for you. But fat is what makes you “unhungry”.

Once you get the learning curve behind you (doesn’t take long to get the Keto thinking down) you can decrease your fat intake and allow your body to burn the fat stores it has for energy, instead of what you eat. Because that’s what Keto is; it’s changing your body into a fat burner for its energy, instead of being a sugar burner. It’s truly what the body prefers.
  • NicoleL874
    @KarlaYP do you mind if I pick your brain a bit?

Imma ask, because I'm sure it'll be fine, and if not, that's fine too! Ha!

Ok, do you count total or net carbs? I'm a researchaholic, lol, sometimes to my own detriment. There's a lot of information showing that not all fiber just passes through the body. That many types of fiber can and will have an effect on blood sugar. I've been counting total. It's also easier math, lol!

What level do you set your carbs to? I've been doing 8 weeks at 20 total, then 2 weeks at 50 total.

Thanks!
  • KarlaYP
    If it’s vegetable fiber I subtract (mentally) the net carbs from the daily total. Otherwise I don’t. (Some people get into subtracting sugar alcohols because they’re considered to act like fiber, but I don’t trust that. Though I don’t consume them anyway)

But, my diet is mainly meat, eggs, cheese, heavy whipping cream, and a few green vegetables (Brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, and broccoli). Though I don’t eat the vegetables very often since they cause bloating and gas. I tend to be more carnivore (foods from the animal kingdom) in my ketogenic way of eating. It seems to make me feel best, and is the easiest to maintain weight loss too. Don’t really have to think about it!

My carbs are usually less than 10 a day. I don’t count calories, per say, but when I did log a day recently it was right at 1700.

And feel free to ask questions anytime. I’m always glad to help when I can!
  • NicoleL874
    @KarlaYP what kind of supplements do you take? Do you do any probiotics? I'm really trying to focus on my overall gut health. Even before surgery it was an issue, and some things have started coming back and I'm trying to figure out why...while healing my gut.

I don't eat many carbs, 20 hasn't been an issue. I typically only have them at dinner, unless I have a yogurt. A crutch I've been trying to let go of. I went from 5 a week to 1 or 2...I'm happy with baby steps.

I do have a problem getting fats in. I've been using MCT in my coffee to get at least that bump, but I don't have a gall bladder, and fats can be an issue, and digestive enzymes don't help. For example, today (without dinner) I will have 28 grams of fat and 40 grams of protein. It's taco Tuesday, so I'll be doing taco insides, so mostly meat, and I know crap but...I do it once a month with the girls, so I'm ok.

I really need to commit to tracking and planning better to get more protein in. I never got hunger back after my surgery and at work I get 10 minutes an hour to use the bathroom, get more water, eat, etc...so it does get difficult. I do egg muffins and meatloaf muffins because I can eat them cold, or warm them up, I can eat them during a break or in my car if I miss a break. I typically don't eat until 10:30am, then again at 12:30, 2pm, 4pm, 5:30pm. I can't eat more frequently because I have no space in my stomach. I guess I could eat earlier, but I've been trying to do the IF because it's a way to control my brain. (Weird anxieties have surfaced the past six months and having a set time seems to help a ton)

Any advice, suggestions, brutal honesty, whatnot welcomed! lol
  • KarlaYP
    @NicoleL874 I take magnesium citrate 400mg twice a day (you know us bariatric patients can’t get enough from just once a day!) along with all of my other vitamins. If I don’t get enough sodium in my meals I will take a sodium tablet too. And I know when I haven’t gotten enough if I begin having muscle cramps.

The high fat part of Keto is the part that controls hunger. It’s what increases satiety and makes us able to not be constantly thinking about what we get to eat next. That being said, once you’ve developed the habit of eating this way lowering the fat is fine. We all have enough fat on our bodies that we can allow it to burn that fat, instead of what we’re eating. So trying to hit a fat “goal” isn’t that important.

At a Mexican restaurant I would eat the meats, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. I would leave the beans, rice, and tortillas. Even the chips don’t tempt me. The main reason is that they’re cooked in vegetable oil, and it causes me inflammation (pain). Plus it’s man made, from chemicals,(it doesn’t come from vegetables!) and I choose not to consume man made (processed) junk as much as I possibly can. I don’t have a gallbladder either, but the high fat hasn’t been a problem for me. I know it can be for some people.

I believe these types of substances have led to the myriad of problems we’re seeing today, such as celiac disease, and other autoimmune disorders. I see it everyday where I work (an outpatient surgery facility)! I’m the nurse who wakes you up after your procedure! We do hundreds of Endoscopic procedures weekly and I would guess that nearly half of the people are having problems because if the processed foods they’re eating.

So, gut health is a true concern to have! But, imo, it’s a problem that stems from what we’re putting in it. Honestly, if something looks the same (doesn’t rot, like a McDonald’s French fry that fell under the seat and has been there for months) weeks from the day you purchased it? I don’t think those substances were meant to be put in our bodies. Our foods should go bad within a few days. It a hassle, but foods are not supposed to be “shelf stable” for years!

So, to answer your question, I don’t take a probiotic. I don’t think they’re necessary when we put the right things in. Case in point: I’ve had GERD since I was 24 years old (I’m 51 now). Every endoscopy I’ve had has shown gastritis, or an ulcer. The routine scope I had done in February showed I was gastritis, and ulcer free for the first time!! I truly believe that eliminating all of the processed, fake foods has helped me heal my gut too! This is confirmation, for me, that I’m doing the right thing.

• NicoleL874
    @KarlaYP hunger and satiety is my issue. I have not felt hunger since surgery. I have done multi-day liquid fasts to reach autophagy. I have no issues. So, my issue is needing to monitor how much I eat to be sure I'm getting enough. I can mindlessly snack because I don't think. I can graze. Or, I can plan and make sure I've eaten enough and the right foods. My issue is uncommon, and odd, and difficult because I don't know when I have true hunger vs head hunger because I think I need food, but have no physical way of knowing. I just have to make sure I'm eating. I feel full. For sure. I try to not eat to full, but it happens. (Like the Mexican food last night, I barely at, but was stuffed.) It's why macros are important for someone like me, but trying to find someone that gets it is difficult. I have been working with a company that does Bariatric Keto, but I'm starting to question their formula. I'm 3.5 years post-op. They have me set at 965 calories a day. I can eat within that, but I'm wondering if I'm not stuck because I'm not getting enough.

If you knew me, this would make you laugh...so please know it's total sarcasm...IT'S HARD BEING MEEEEEEE.... ;)
  • KarlaYP
    Wow! I would think staying at that low of a calorie range would keep you in starvation mode. Your body can’t lose because you aren’t giving it enough calories to run vital functions, imo.

And yes, I understand having to eat to macros too. I would focus on getting the protein goal everyday, then setting the carbs, and fat, as a maximum daily. The protein is what we need for body functions anyway.

So sorry for your challenges! I hope you can find a happy medium that works for you soon. It has to be frustrating.

I’m 5’9” and maintain at 1700-2000 calories a day. If I want to lose I drop to 1500 or so and I will being to lose. I don’t think you’re eating enough.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I am 5'4 and my surgeon told me I would probably always need to be around 1300-1500 calories a day. Since I am trying to lose some regain I have been staying in that range now and slowly but surely it's working. I am not doing strictl keto, but I am staying very low carb and when I do stick with that, it works for me.
  • KarlaYP
    Low carb is a great for everyone anyway! The carbs just aren’t good for the body, imo!

I don’t believe you have to be in ketosis for weight loss. I do it for the health benefits I’ve seen (decrease in migraines and also a decrease in fibromyalgia pain)!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    My preferred way of eating is vegetarian keto, intermittent fasting and calorie counting.......

All it means is I don't like eating before early afternoon, I weigh and measure what I eat and I avoid most carbs and all meat and fish
  • NicoleL874
    My preferred way of eating is vegetarian keto, intermittent fasting and calorie counting.......

All it means is I don't like eating before early afternoon, I weigh and measure what I eat and I avoid most carbs and all meat and fish

How many calories do you get in a day? I was doing intermittent fasting and was unable to surpass 1000 calories...
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

How many calories do you get in a day? I was doing intermittent fasting and was unable to surpass 1000 calories...

Between 1000 and 1200 usually