Trouble With Sleep

Options
tuscaroragirl
tuscaroragirl Posts: 21 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
Does anyone else have trouble falling asleep on low carb? I find that anytime I go below 30 carbs a day, I am wide awake half the night. The extra energy is a very nice perk when chasing my 3 year old son around😁 however, I have trouble winding down in the evenings. I need all the sleep I can being that I have to get up at 5am in the mornings for work! Any advice anyone? Thanks so much!

Replies

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I would suggest giving it a little more time to see if your body adjusts. If not, add back minimum amounts of carbs until you reach your sweet spot.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had problems sleeping initially but now that I’m fat adapted and my electrolytes are in order, I am sleeping much better. It took about 3 months for my body to get used to the changes.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I too found sleep challenging in the beginning, it's part of the bodies adjustment. Cutting out cheese all together, coffee and tea after noon. A hot shower and doing stretches helped.
    My body did adjust and now the only reason I wake up is to pee.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sodium?
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get to sleep no problem but waken at 2.30, 3 or 4, then can’t get back to sleep😴
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble falling asleep on low carb? I find that anytime I go below 30 carbs a day, I am wide awake half the night. The extra energy is a very nice perk when chasing my 3 year old son around😁 however, I have trouble winding down in the evenings. I need all the sleep I can being that I have to get up at 5am in the mornings for work! Any advice anyone? Thanks so much!

What time is your last coffee? I used to drink coffee all day but on low carb I can’t have it past 2-3 or I’m up all hours. Have you tried relaxing teas at night? Turning off lights when the sun goes down and keeping the house pretty dark at night? No screens after a certain hour? I’ve done all these with some success. Especially the light one. It seems to help my body adjust. I want through a bit where I only used candles at ight I was so desperate! But I’ve found it’s the coffee.

True story I went to buy relaxong tea and accidentally got a mate tea. I had no idea what it was. I’d drink it at 9:00 each night and couldn’t figure out why I was so amped! Lol.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ecosse2018 wrote: »
    I get to sleep no problem but waken at 2.30, 3 or 4, then can’t get back to sleep😴

Same here. Been like that for years. I finally asked my doctor about it and prescribed a med that helps. Usually sleep until 5 now.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Also wake up at 2 or 3 am each evening, no matter what time I actually go to bed. Sometimes I can get back to sleep, other times I just watch tv
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have "always" had problems with staying sleep, so it is not a function of LC. I have gone through some periods of very strange and vivid dreams that I do think may have been because of the diet. In general I think I am sleeping better now than I was 10 years ago. My primary issue is that if I have slept more than 4 or 5 hours, almost anything will wake me up, and once I am awake, I stay that way. FWIW, going to sleep is not a problem. My head hits the pillow initially, and I am out.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have had chronic insomnia for a little while now but the start didn't match up with when I started keto/LC. I'm not sure if it's contributed to it. I did start taking magnesium at night and i do think that helps. I also still take a benadryl before bed every night.