Living the Lifestyle - Thursday, 04/25/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: Origins

Looking back, are there defining moments or events where your weight struggles began?
Or, has your weight always been an issue, even back before you really realized it? If you went back and talked to THAT you, what would you encourage them to do to mitigate those moments/events?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I trace things back to a couple of things.

I was a skinny kid. Rail thin until high school, when I began to acquire mass. I was an athlete - not a very good one - but an athlete, nonetheless, and I worked out all the time. And, I ate like a horse, which was encouraged by everyone around me. I grew into a pretty big, athletic kid.

Then, I left high school - and athletics. I became sedentary, but I kept eating the same portions I'd eaten as a growing, active kid. My weight began to grow.

Plus, I discovered how to self-medicate against boredom and emotions by eating. This only enhanced my overindulgence.

I wish I'd been better educated regarding portion sizes. I grew up in Texas where portion sizes were always big, and not eating a huge amount was insulting to the host. Portion size is the key thing I'd change. I would also continue my physical activity - in fact, I'd probably enhance it. I truly love the outdoors, and while I hiked and camped some, I didn't do it nearly as much as could have. I was single, without many responsibilities; so, it's a hobby I could have embraced with very little trouble.

I wonder if I would have been ready to hear it, though.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    According to my mother, I was normal weight until age 7. Then I started gaining weight and spent the rest of my adolescence being overweight. Since there was only 2 of us "fat kids" until high school, we were both picked on a lot. I found comfort in food, especially sweets and the other delicious homemade things my mother baked. My parents tried to limit my sweet consumption but I became a very good food sneak. Sneaking food persisted long into adulthood. I still feel self conscious when people comment on what I am eating or how often I am eating. I don't like big meals so tend to have several much smaller meals/snacks during the day. Just how I'm wired.

I have always felt socially awkward. I never fit in with the other kids at school, even in kindergarten. I have no idea what I could have told 6 or 7 year-old me that would have made a difference.

Perhaps 16 year-old me might have been more receptive? But I was still desperate to fit in and especially wanted to be noticed by guys. I was basically invisible unless they wanted to copy my homework. Even though I lost 40 pounds at age 16, I was still invisible. I have zero desire to go back to a high school reunion as there is just too much pain associated with that part of my life.

It really took until I turned 50 to stop giving a care about what others think. I march to the beat of my own drummer. I have a very supportive husband who doesn't mind that I go off on my long endurance events. We both have a high need for along time, maybe because we are both only children.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think there were probably two key "moments" that defined my weight increases over the years.

First was simply going away to college. I was a pretty skinny kid growing up and when I got to college there were a number of factors that coalesced to give me the classic "freshman 15." One big thing was portion sizes: they were no longer controlled by what my family ate, but instead was more managed by what my friends ate. Related to this was late-night eating, which really amounted to a second dinner (we ordered a lot of late-night pizzas to the dorms). Finally, there was the ready access to alcohol. I guess I should be thankful that it was only 15 or 20 pounds I put on during that time!

After that, over the years, I was pretty stable at that higher weight, although there was a slow drift upwards.

The second moment was when I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. The treatment for that includes steroids...lots of steroids. I put on a lot of weight during my multiple steroid courses. I'd gain weight with each course, and then lose weight after the course was over. But...I'd never lose as much weight as I put on! As such, over a couple of years there was an overall increase in my weight. When my disease was finally under control, I figured that I was now stuck at the higher weight. To be honest, though, I didn't realize that I had become officially "obese!"

Each of those time-periods could have probably been managed better, but I hadn't really been concerned with my weight at the time, so I just let it happen, so to speak.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    I was always the "fat kid", until around 16 I started exercising. I soon was a 6’0”, 190# of muscle.
    Joined the Air Force, after high school, and started getting heavier (ever had bacon in your green beans?)
    Got married 2 years later, and slowly slid up to @235#.
    I stayed about that until I was in my mid-30’s. Went to WW with TOL and lost down to goal of 189#. Then stopped going to meetings.
    In the mid-80’s crept up to @240-245, and was there until the 90’s. Then 265# was the norm.
    Changed jobs to a “sit at a desk with phone in my ear”, and finally got up to 335#. My PCP said, “you’re a diabetic”, and that got me into serious weight loss. Went back to WW, dropped just over 90#, then got lazy (still am) and put back 25#. And here I am! Still claiming 6’0”, and 240#.
    Doctor’s note is for official WW weigh-in at 220#.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Looking back, are there defining moments or events where your weight struggles began?
    Or, has your weight always been an issue, even back before you really realized it? If you went back and talked to THAT you, what would you encourage them to do to mitigate those moments/events?

I was the so-called "black sheep" in a pretty large family. I have no idea really how I made the link from feeling different to getting some comfort from food, but it happened young and went through my high school years. Like @gadgetgirlIL , I developed an early sweet tooth and I too figured out ways to sneak those treats. However, I certainly didn't limit my reliance on food to sweets--there was plenty of other stuff too.

Once out on my own, I became more active and for a while, stopped eating so much. As I moved into a career that entailed a lot of field work, I slimmed down even more--was pretty much height:weight proportional.

However, as responsibilities increased, I turned back to food, added drink and socialized enough to imbibe in both--often. This was also a time when my Mom's health was failing and that seemed to bring a lot of turmoil to me and my siblings (to varying degrees). Eating and drinking were once again the crutches I leaned on most heavily. As I got bigger, the little nagging voice just couldn't outdo the louder 'have another' voice, despite my growing dislike for what I was becoming. This continued on until I joined WW in 2014.

It really wasn't until a year or more into WW that I began to connect the dots and recognize how I turned to food and drink as a crutch (that really didn't work) to deal with unpleasant emotions. I think at each of the pivotal times in my life, if I'd grasped that food and drink really didn't change the stresses or unpleasant emotions I was dealing with, I might have avoided part of this journey.

Thanks for asking the question, @misterhub --it made me think.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,077 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I was not overweight as a young child and my mom served us a decent diet. My senior year in high school (about the time I discovered pizza too I think etc) I put on a couple of pounds and maybe was up to 160 lb at about 5'9.5" . Someone remarked at how I was growing up and filling out and I thought I was a bit too heavy for me. They didn't mean it that way but it was the first time in my life I felt a pinch more at my waistline. My freshmen year of college I played varsity/jv football at a non-scholarship university in Riverside (UCRiverside) where we had 3 a day practices and sometimes in the heat. I got down to 149LB which I didn't like as a football player. 150LB just sounded better. I think they listed my weight at 165 LB in the roster but honestly they never weighed any of us. I played varsity rugby (a club sport) after that but got injured w my knee. I was active rock climbing and hiking when not hurt. I did stop bicycling which I had done every day going to high school (a boarding/day prep school which didn't allow cars). Big mistake. Late in graduate school I bought a bike for awhile but sold it before I moved to my first real job. With my first tax rebate I bought another bike. While active I just struggled with my weight as I could "easily outeat my legs" as they say. Not sure why WW fit my style when many other plans were short term. I know the FTF meetings and these boards helped keep me focused.
    I attribute my lucky/good fortune to not being in the over 300lb class to my nature which doesn't find food comforting. I am sure that helped me stop at somewhere around 220LB.