likes and dislikes

takuwinds
takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
I thought I would give Keto a try. I could hang on for a week and was struggling. I like carbs and that's probably not going to change. I could not get used to eat a lot of fat because I learned fat is bad for you. And all the Keto rules was exhausting. I did enjoy eating bacon and cooking my food in butter. But I love rice and popcorn and chocolate. I know I could stick with high protein and veggies but I like fruit too. I just don't know. I have to find something that works for me.

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Good luck to you! We were all "taught" that fat is bad for you...turns out it isn't...you can be taught anything you are open to...

It is however very hard to be taught subjects you are close-minded to.

Nothing works if you can't stick with it, no matter what "type" of diet that is.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    craigmandu wrote: »
    Good luck to you! We were all "taught" that fat is bad for you...turns out it isn't...you can be taught anything you are open to...

It is however very hard to be taught subjects you are close-minded to.

Nothing works if you can't stick with it, no matter what "type" of diet that is.

Yep. 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat works for me. The winning factor being appetite suppressant. I literally eat about 800 cals a day and am never hungry. And I don’t count cals (but MFP does).

Every person is an individual aka you have to develop an individualized plan that works for you. I find “you must do this my way” advice stressful and counter productive.
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    What’s really helped me is focusing on the many positives that have come as a result of my change in eating habits... the increased energy, improvement in mood, greatly reduced migraines! I do miss some of my high carb/sugar treats too and there are times when I will allow myself some (I AM going to eat cake on my birthday or fresh fruit when I’m on a sunny vacation) but generally speaking I’m most successful when I try not to even allow my mind to “reminisce” about what I’m missing but rather allow myself to get excited about discovering new things that are “Keto friendly” (recipes, tips from other members, etc). Just remember it’s not a one-size fits all approach!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    FWIW, I find my version of keto pretty easy to follow. I keep net carbs under 20 g and try to keep fat under 100 g these days. I find that higher protein works better for me in terms of being satisfied with what I am eating.
  • gedanjj
    gedanjj Posts: 12 Member

I have been keto for 4 years.

Wow, that's impressive. I'm sure you're eating maintenance calories now. Has it been hard to stay within your goal weight once you reached it after all this time?

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    gedanjj wrote: »

I have been keto for 4 years.

Wow, that's impressive. I'm sure you're eating maintenance calories now. Has it been hard to stay within your goal weight once you reached it after all this time?

Well, I didn’t reach the goal weight I originally set. I’m 10 pounds away and have been 10 pounds away for 3 years. Maintenance I’m finding to be easy. Losing that last ten...?? Well, I’m not working hard enough at it. I don’t track how much I eat anymore really. After gaining 6 pounds between thanksgiving and Christmas from eating way too much keto cheesecake, I did track in January and lost that whole 6 pounds. I don’t have the significantly reduced appetite that I used to have when I first started keto anymore. As I lost weight, my appetite increased and now I find maintaining a deficit to lose more fat difficult to do for very long. Not because I cheat or anything. I can seriously eat a lot of eggs and beef! :lol: I maintain pretty well just following hunger signals but I have to feel hungry, often in order to lose more weight. That’s difficult for me.
    And I’m not super active. When I have been, I was even hungrier anyway.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    I should add that I did reach the clothing size goal that I thought I would be when I reached the goal weight. But not I want to go a little smaller, hopefully I can get it together and do that.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    That is exactly why calorie cycling works so well for me...I can handle being hungry for a day or two to keep calories low, but it's utterly unsustainable for me long term...however, if I can have more food and not be hungry a few days a week, then it's easier for me to push through the hungry days.

Weight is far less important than size. I would really like to get down to about 15% body fat, and hopefully that will happen this year. I went from 25 down to 20 in 2017, then 20-17 in 2018, hoping to make it down to 15% this year...I'm heavier at 17 than I was at 20...the scale, she is such a pain in the neck!!!
  • 2t9nty
    I would really like to get down to about 15% body fat, and hopefully that will happen this year. I went from 25 down to 20 in 2017, then 20-17 in 2018, hoping to make it down to 15% this year...I'm heavier at 17 than I was at 20...the scale, she is such a pain in the neck!!!

How are you measuring body fat?

• tcunbeliever
    I have an electrical impedance scale, combined with measurements and visual comparison to online photos...I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's good enough for me and I can definitely see the improvements that I'm looking to achieve!
  • 2t9nty
    I have an electrical impedance scale, combined with measurements and visual comparison to online photos...I'm sure it's not 100% accurate, but it's good enough for me and I can definitely see the improvements that I'm looking to achieve!

My scale gives the impedence body fat numbers, but they don't make sense to me. I know I have lost a greater % body fat than it indicates. I also think I was higher at the start than it said.

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    I feel like I read somewhere (never a good way to start a sentence...lol) that level of hydration could affect the readings on those electrical impedance scales. Maybe you are just really hydrated!
  • 2t9nty
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I feel like I read somewhere (never a good way to start a sentence...lol) that level of hydration could affect the readings on those electrical impedance scales. Maybe you are just really hydrated!

I have read that too, and supposedly if you step on the scaled after a shower, it changes readings too. It does not seem to do any of this for me. In fact, I could believe mine is just calculating an estimate from BMI.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Navy calculator has me about 29% body fat but my scale has me over 35%. It varies within a few %. Comparing to photos, I feel like I’m in the middle.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member

[/quote]

Well, I didn’t reach the goal weight I originally set. I’m 10 pounds away and have been 10 pounds away for 3 years. Maintenance I’m finding to be easy. Losing that last ten...?? Well, I’m not working hard enough at it. I don’t track how much I eat anymore really. After gaining 6 pounds between thanksgiving and Christmas from eating way too much keto cheesecake, I did track in January and lost that whole 6 pounds. I don’t have the significantly reduced appetite that I used to have when I first started keto anymore. As I lost weight, my appetite increased and now I find maintaining a deficit to lose more fat difficult to do for very long. Not because I cheat or anything. I can seriously eat a lot of eggs and beef! :lol: I maintain pretty well just following hunger signals but I have to feel hungry, often in order to lose more weight. That’s difficult for me.
    And I’m not super active. When I have been, I was even hungrier anyway. [/quote]

Reading this I am pretty much in the same boat. I lost over 70 pounds eating over 2000 calories a day my first year of keto.

My appetite was only surpressed for the first few months of keto. I never have an all cheat day on carbs but I am a total garbage can with calories, always have been.

Only way I can drop anymore weight would be to start exercising again but the last several months I have a serious hate on for my stationary bike.

I can eat what I want if I watch my carb counts and I'm good with that. Being off high blood pressure meds, no longer being type 2 diabetic and my fatty liver recovering and the weight loss was my goal. A goal I have attained.

The last 10 or 15 pounds would be nice but I am not chasing it.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    My scale reports that I'm at 23%. Navy calculator has me at 19%. I figured I must be somewhere in the middle.
  • swezeytba
    2t9nty wrote: »

Some scales are probably better than others too.....
  • tcunbeliever
    Mine seems to be consistent. At least if I step off and step back on, I get the same reading. I definitely don't pay attention to the body fat % unless it's first thing in the morning because later in the day it's just all over the place. But from one morning to the next it doesn't shift much unless I've had alcohol the night before, that does seem to make it all wack-a-doodle.

Mine is a Vive Precision, and apparently it's on sale at amazon for $9.99 because it's now discontinued...just in case anyone is interested...

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01LBM3AVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • swezeytba
    @tcunbeliever thanks for the link. For $9.99 I think I will give it a try!