Ketones Explained-How To Measure, Optimal Ranges Etc (Ketogenisis, Gluconeogenisis Etc)

Options
I've been seeing a lot of questions regarding measuring ketones lately on the forum and discussions about quite a bit of stuff that this video covers. Sometimes watching videos for folks comes through easier to comprehend then explanations given in text on a forum thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7md3ZzOtk

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to have ketones to lose fat.
    That guy lost me the second he suggested as such.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey Sunny are you a troll on these LC and Keto sub forums? Seriously are you? You do realize this is a KETO sub forum right? And that video Thomas is talking about producing ketone in a ketogenic state while eating very low restricted numbers of carbs in order to burn fat instead of glucose.

Do you realize that that's what Ketosis is???? Here you go if you didn't realize that: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

So yes, in FACT you do have to be in ketosis to burn fat IF you have restricted your carbs where your body converts its metabolism to a fat burning one. Please learn more about it before you make such false statements here.
    If you meant it in comparison to a CICO higher carb WOE then take that over to the main forums. This is not that place.

He isn't comparing it to a CICO lifestyle where carbs (glucose) is consumed in higher numbers. So for you to make it out like that here in a Keto sub forum is very insulting to people here I would think. (it is to me for sure) and not only that but you are also misleading people purposely.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hey Sunny are you a troll on these LC and Keto sub forums? Seriously are you? You do realize this is a KETO sub forum right? And that video Thomas is talking about producing ketone in a ketogenic state while eating very low restricted numbers of carbs in order to burn fat instead of glucose.

Do you realize that that's what Ketosis is???? Here you go if you didn't realize that: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

So yes, in FACT you do have to be in ketosis to burn fat IF you have restricted your carbs where your body converts its metabolism to a fat burning one. Please learn more about it before you make such false statements here.
    If you meant it in comparison to a CICO higher carb WOE then take that over to the main forums. This is not that place.

He isn't comparing it to a CICO lifestyle where carbs (glucose) is consumed in higher numbers. So for you to make it out like that here in a Keto sub forum is very insulting to people here I would think. (it is to me for sure) and not only that but you are also misleading people purposely.

You so seriously misinformed and will not read your misunderstood versions of the science without making correction. I am not a troll. I just don’t stand for poor advice.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html?m=1
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, guys. :unamused:

Paul, I'm sorry but she is kinda right. Even if she's not being very nice about it.
    Read her link.
    You don’t have to have ketones to lose fat.
    That guy lost me the second he suggested as such.

Actually that is quite true, but for those who want to measure their ketones, I imagine this video would be helpful. Though at this second I'm 1:09 in and he does kind of loosely imply that burning ketones means you are burning fat which is a little troubling. :confused: I'll keep watching.

No, she's a veteran here. I think you guys are quibbling over minutia constantly.

I get her point of view on the monitoring. I was keto for 1.5 years and never measured a single ketone. It's fact that it is not necessary to buy expensive monitoring devices to be in ketosis or follow a ketogenic lifestyle, though some people enjoy the data gathering and certainly may. Eat less than 50g total and MOST people can achieve ketosis, others who have metabolic issues or are sedentary, may require a lower carb limit. Eat few enough carbs for long enough, and you will achieve a state of ketosis. The exact number may take some determination. In my journey, I started at 20g total until I was fat adapted, then I messed around a bit with net carbs and finally the 50g total. I could tell when I popped out of ketosis. The scale also rewarded me with a jump that hung around 3-4 days. So it is possible to do this thing without a ketone monitor, but some people may not want to leave it to chance and that's fine. I concede that it may even be more effective in narrowing down your personal carb threshold than trial and error via reading your body cues.

Burning fat and burning ketones aren't synonymous. Your body burns ketones in ketosis, but may also burn body fat if you burn more energy than you intake. I'd love for it to be the case that ketosis automatically meant weight loss. But that's not how biology works; increasing energy intake too much will store fat, decreasing intake enough will burn fat. That's universal across WOEs, fat loss in the presence of an energy deficit. How do people not lose so much weight once they achieve maintenance that they waste away and die if the presence of ketones guarantees fat loss? Ketosis is notable for a great many other good things though. It sets up an ideal chemical situation in the body for a lot of people. Lots of benefits. I would have loved to have stayed keto. Sjogren's told me NOPE.

So it is true that you don't have to be making ketones to lose fat. And you don't HAVE TO measure ketones.
    You can do either. :smile: Amy Berger provides some level-headed advice and good info.

I still haven't gotten to finish the video but you all keep snipping at each other. :neutral:

As I mentioned in another thread. There's many ways to skin this cat.
    Let's not go to war over it. There's no "One True Method" for ketosis and weight loss. Or keto and weigh maintenance for that matter. But there is correct science. We don't want new ketoers to think things we feel aren't accurate are true. It may cause them to struggle, stumble, and not achieve the success we have.

We don't have to be mean to disagree! Sunny is right to express that she feels that misinformation is be presented. Paul, you aren't the world's keto expert either and need to be open to other sources of information. But our opinion doesn't nullify your value to the universe. Disagreement is just disagreement.
    You both need to play nice and learn when to let sleeping dogs lie. Agree to disagree.
    You've both presented your cases. I think it's time to let it mellow and let the forum readers decide which source is more credible or applicable since you aren't convincing each other. I'm willing to bet bacon that it's turning newbies off.

This discussion has been closed.