Help and advice for a newbie

Options
kentcyprus
kentcyprus Posts: 31 Member
I have just started low carb and confused I now the rule is 50 for carbs is that every meal or overall for the day xx TIA

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's overall for the day, but everyone is different, some go up to 100g others go keto at <50. whatever works for your body.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Whatever carb amount you set, it’s for the entire day and it’s generally considered a limit. Not a goal.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    kentcyprus wrote: »
    I have just started low carb and confused I now the rule is 50 for carbs is that every meal or overall for the day xx TIA

My rule is twenty to thirty carbs a day. I tried fifty and I don’t lose on that many.
  • joefettucine
    joefettucine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you are counting the right carbs. Fiber (also a carbohydrate) is absolutely essential and should still be a major part of your diet. Avoid grain and legumes, add green to as many meals as you can.
  • kentcyprus
    Options
    Hi again if I lower my carbs down. What should my ratio be at the moment its 30.30.40 is that ok ????
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's a good 'beginner' video on Keto from Dr. Stephen Phinney from Virta Health: note especially the chart and explanation from minute 3:05 on, re: macros for weight loss as compared to maintenance.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=k0NE8WEH44A
    The whole video is only 21 minutes long - well worth watching to troubleshoot.

• kentcyprus
    Options
    That was very informative x thankyou
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Hi again if I lower my carbs down. What should my ratio be at the moment its 30.30.40 is that ok ????

Don’t use ratios. Figure out how much protein you need and make sure to reach or exceed that. Usually around 90-100g protein. Then limit your carbs to your chosen amount and fat makes up the rest of your intake. Additionally, you can also have more protein if yoy like as well.
    Note that when I say protein, I do not mean shakes or bars. I mean whole food animal sources only.
    Ratios will likely leave you protein deficient. It’s the total grams that matter.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Don’t use ratios. Figure out how much protein you need and make sure to reach or exceed that. Usually around 90-100g protein. Then limit your carbs to your chosen amount and fat makes up the rest of your intake. Additionally, you can also have more protein if yoy like as well.
    Note that when I say protein, I do not mean shakes or bars. I mean whole food animal sources only.
    Ratios will likely leave you protein deficient. It’s the total grams that matter.

I'll take exception to the bold and specifically the "animal sources only". :/ There is such thing as vegan keto and vegetarian keto. A vegan would not eat animal anything and a vegetarian might limit their animal sources to only ovo or lacto types such as dairy and eggs.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I'll take exception to the bold and specifically the "animal sources only". :/ There is such thing as vegan keto and vegetarian keto. A vegan would not eat animal anything and a vegetarian might limit their animal sources to only ovo or lacto types such as dairy and eggs.

Perhaps it would have been better to say "no powdered/processed protein" or "whole food sources only." :smile:
    Vegan and vegetarian keto do have a much smaller pool of adherents, so I can see how one might assume that the OP doesn't have special restrictions since it wasn't mentioned. Though I imagine vegans have a harder time with getting enough protein if they don't employ plant-based protein supplements. :confused:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Perhaps it would have been better to say "no powdered/processed protein" or "whole food sources only." :smile:
    Vegan and vegetarian keto do have a much smaller pool of adherents, so I can see how one might assume that the OP doesn't have special restrictions since it wasn't mentioned. Though I imagine vegans have a harder time with getting enough protein if they don't employ plant-based protein supplements. :confused:

LOL. Yes. "whole food sources only" (to me) is more reasonable than "whole food ANIMAL sources only".

There is is a new processed high (er) protein non-animal product available if anyone is interested. At least I think it is new. Those who are lactose intolerant (or a vegan or vegetarian) might want to try it. The product is "Ripple" and it a yellow pea protein milk-like- drink. At least the one I tried has as much protein as whole milk (per cup) with fewer carbs and fewer calories. Of course it has some additives that select folks might find questionable but I won't digress....

I "taste-test" this stuff just because I like to. Not because I have a desire to eat vegan/vegetarian or have a medical need to eliminate anything. The "Ripple" I tried (because it was the only version available) is probably better tasting <to me> than the many other dairy free "milks" I have tried. I also found it to be less watery than things like cashew mild, almond milk, etc. Here's a link:
    https://www.ripplefoods.com/vanilla-unsweetened-plant-milk/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I started keto vegan, and it's a lot of work and even with lots of tofu and protein shakes, it was tough to hit protein goals, but it can be done...particularly if you go vegetarian and do eggs and dairy, that makes it easier.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

The point was to make sure someone doesn’t think an all whey protein and quest bar in unlimited amounts diet is ok. Like when I said, I don’t mean shakes or bars.
    Someone can do vegan if they want, but again should be eating whole food sources. I definitely don’t think that’s advantageous to health but to each their own.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    That was very informative x thankyou

Their book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is quite good too.

I set my carb total for the day - my carb amounts in meals used to vary a fair bit so setting a carb ceiling worked best for me.

I agree with figuring out your protein goal at a lean weight and keeping to it while losing. 300-400 kcal is a pretty good level for many women, men may need to go higher.

Good luck. :)

ETA I literally eat a carnivore diet yet I still add protein powder to my coffees to get my protein levels up. I like fatty meat so I rarely hit 100g of protein even though I only eat meat, eggs, seafood and dairy. :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you are counting the right carbs. Fiber (also a carbohydrate) is absolutely essential and should still be a major part of your diet. Avoid grain and legumes, add green to as many meals as you can.

As a blanket statement, this isn't actually true. Fiber - or any carbohydrate - isn't essential. Some people do best to minimize intake even down to 0, while others do best with far more (and in those cases, I do agree that soluble fiber is the favorable source over insoluble sources, and you get a good balance of both of you source from whole foods and focus on the soluble sources).

This is a case of "listen to your body and experiment to see what's right for you."