New Member, I think I’m Keto?

Options
GammieLCHF
GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
Hi! I’m a mom of five and now a grandma of five. I need to lose 100 pounds, improve my stamina and health, and control my diabetes. I’m doing that by eating around 20 net carbs a day and walking every day (unless it’s bad weather). Please add me if you have an open diary, I love reading what others are eating and it inspires me and gives me ideas.

My question is on term “Keto”. I see your info post links to diet doctor’s LCHF page which is how I eat (obviously based on my username) but my daughter tells me I’m “not keto” because I eat dairy and things like sweeteners. Can someone clarify the difference for me, please?

Replies

• jessicahewesmith1994
    Options
    You can absolutely eat dairy and sweeteners with the keto diet it. It all depends if it fits in your macros for the day and if your blood sugar is affected by artificial sweeteners. In fact high-fat dairy can be a crucial part of the keto diet.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are several different versions of keto, but it looks like your goal is below 45g of carbs per day, so yes, that definitely qualifies as keto!!!
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Had these for dinner (one of them) - they do use a tiny bit of flour, but they are only 2.3 carbs each (I figured the recipe for nine rather than 12, and didn’t use any egg yolks). I was amazed at the breadiness of them. I think I found my new sandwich bread! I think the key is going to be moderation and filling them with satiating high fat low carb fillings. http://www.findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    ym8ctfdcqi4a.jpeg
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    You are honestly only "keto" if you are in ketosis, which is a nutritional process characterized by serum concentrations of ketone bodies over 0.5 mol/L.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes as tmpecus78 says, Keto is a term used to describe eating in a way to get your metabolism into the Ketogenic state where your body burns stored fat for energy instead of using Glucose.

You will read that you can think you are in ketosis if your "breath smells a certain way", or if "you have ketones in your urine"... well you can get the cheaper method of ketone urine strips but if you want to know correctly if you are always in ketosis then get yourself a blood ketone monitor. You can find lot's of info online why the urine ketone strips are not a good way of going by to know for sure the state your metabolism is in... But a lot of folks use that method so it's better than nothing but blood monitor is the most accurate way to go by far.

Keep in mind that not all people are the same. Everyone can find that they have to eat different amounts of carbs per day to get and stay in ketosis. Even on this forum you will find all kinds of different numbers people are saying (claiming) that they can/do eat a day and are "in ketosis" The facts are no one really "knows" they are in ketosis without consistently testing their blood ketones. Any professional dietician trained in this will tell you this same thing. And going in and out of ketosis is by no means an efficient way of converting your metabolism into a ketogenic fat burning one. It's a lifestyle change that if done right completely changes your metabolism and how it all functions. Get blood/urine lab tests and seek professional advice. I can't stress the importance of that enough. No one in my opinion should be taking any strangers (non professional) advice from the internet without talking to their own doctors, dieticians etc first and should continue to do so along their whole fat loss journey.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    I do the urine strips. I find the blood ones too expensive. And I keep my net carbs at around 20, so I’m pretty sure they are pretty accurate for me. On top of that, my blood sugars are great on what I eat (I do blood testing for that). 6ges42zj845p.jpeg
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    GammieLCHF wrote: »
    I do the urine strips. I find the blood ones too expensive. And I keep my net carbs at around 20, so I’m pretty sure they are pretty accurate for me. On top of that, my blood sugars are great on what I eat (I do blood testing for that).

Yes blood strips can be expensive, but they are the only true was to measure, well besides measuring acetone via breath meter. You do realize that with urine strips you are measuring ketones that your body is passing. So in your first few weeks of ketogenic dieting when your body isn't set up to use ketones, you will pass them in your urine. As your body switches from being a sugar burner to a fat burner you will start to use the ketones your body produces for energy, thus resulting in less ketones in your urine. This is where the urine strips become pretty much worthless.

• GammieLCHF
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If I used the ketones all up, sure. I don’t have that problem yet. I’ve always had very accurate ketostix. If I stray, they never lie. If I’m steady, they are dark. I can’t say why they work different for you. I just know they work great for me and give me a hit of motivation every day for about six cents.

Ps. The ketones are not my driving measurements. My order is: blood sugar, joint pain (I have several chronic conditions), weight loss and ketostix way at the end. But they are still on my list and I like ‘em.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If I used the ketones all up, sure. I don’t have that problem yet. I’ve always had very accurate ketostix. If I stray, they never lie. If I’m steady, they are dark. I can’t say why they work different for you. I just know they work great for me and give me a hit of motivation every day for about six cents.

Ps. The ketones are not my driving measurements. My order is: blood sugar, joint pain (I have several chronic conditions), weight loss and ketostix way at the end. But they are still on my list and I like ‘em.

The urine strips seem to function for me as well. Even now, 4 years later they always show at least trace ketones. I know that some people do not get any positive test result at all despite being Ketosis confirmed by other testing methods. My opinion on that is the urine strips are easily influenced by how much fluid you drink. I do not drink a lot. I tested the idea on myself once where I drank a lot of black coffee and remained fasted over several hours and each test got lighter and lighter. When the diuretic effect of the coffee was in full swing and I was in the bathroom every hour I was testing negative. I think it just had to do with how frequently I was emptying my bladder and how diluted the urine was.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

If they are not your driving measurement, why test them at all? let me guess, cause they are 6 cents?

The urine strips seem to function for me as well. Even now, 4 years later they always show at least trace ketones. I know that some people do not get any positive test result at all despite being Ketosis confirmed by other testing methods. My opinion on that is the urine strips are easily influenced by how much fluid you drink. I do not drink a lot. I tested the idea on myself once where I drank a lot of black coffee and remained fasted over several hours and each test got lighter and lighter. When the diuretic effect of the coffee was in full swing and I was in the bathroom every hour I was testing negative. I think it just had to do with how frequently I was emptying my bladder and how diluted the urine was.

Testing is def not a requirement, however if I'm gonna test, I personally don't see the use is measuring ketones my body isn't using. I wouldn't be too "thrilled" about seeing a high level of ketones going into the toilet.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Home blood ketone monitoring equipment can easily be off by +/_ 0.5 mmol/L so it's kind of like having a scale, if it's a metric you care about, go for it, but it's just another metric and the number won't change anything that is actually happening in your body.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The fact that you track here and can easily see your macros should tell you all you need to know about whether or not you are "not keto."

Additionally, your woe seems to be working for all the things that you are hoping to fix, and you get to eat your dairy and your sweeteners. Sounds like a win to me.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    tmpecus78 wrote: »

If they are not your driving measurement, why test them at all? let me guess, cause they are 6 cents?

Testing is def not a requirement, however if I'm gonna test, I personally don't see the use is measuring ketones my body isn't using. I wouldn't be too "thrilled" about seeing a high level of ketones going into the toilet.

Are you rude all the time or just having a bad day?
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    The fact that you track here and can easily see your macros should tell you all you need to know about whether or not you are "not keto."

Additionally, your woe seems to be working for all the things that you are hoping to fix, and you get to eat your dairy and your sweeteners. Sounds like a win to me.

Yes, I was more asking if this group was hard core no aeeetener no dairy no grain keto or you’re outta here like some FB groups.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

I was just asking the question. I honestly did not mean for that comment to come off as rude.

• GammieLCHF
    edited April 2019
    Options

I was just asking the question. I honestly did not mean for that comment to come off as rude.

Ok I apologize. I took it as snarky.

No I don’t just use them cause they are six cents each. I use them because I find them accurate and they mirror how I’m eating. I like the motivation of seeing that I’m dropping lots of ketones and I also am using ones that test for sugar and protein in my pee as well as about ten other things (photo further up).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Gammie isn't the only one who took it that way. Honestly, now it just looks like you are backpedaling.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    Ok I apologize. I took it as snarky.

No I don’t just use them cause they are six cents each. I use them because I find them accurate and they mirror how I’m eating. I like the motivation of seeing that I’m dropping lots of ketones and I also am using ones that test for blood sugar and protein in my pee as well as about ten other things (photo further up).

Thats great that you are having success and that it is motivating you. All I am saying is that the purpose of eating a ketogenic diet (besides the amazing taste of fatty foods) is to benefit from the production on ketones, right? I personally love the way I feel when I run on ketone bodies compared to the way I feel on high amounts of glucose. With that being said, seeing high amounts on ketones in your urine is letting you know that your body is still yet to become efficient at using ketones as an energy source, hence why you are peeing them out.