Thinking about cutting sweeteners more severly

Options
GammieLCHF
GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
z3hyw33ksmu5.jpeg
As it is now I only really have two sweets. One of these chocolates (1/3 of a serving is 1 raspberry jell and they are mostly sugar alcohols and haven’t affected my ketosis or blood sugar) if I stick to my diet all day, and a packet of Truvia in every cup of coffee I drink.

The Truvia ends up being a lot of my net carbs for the day - sometimes as much as 1/2 my carbs! I’m thinking of cutting all “white sweeteners” like Splenda and Truvia to get rid of the bulking agent carbs. Maybe by using DaVinci syrups because that’s the only thing I really use sweetener in - my coffee which I can have 1-4 cups of daily.

Any tips on switching to better sweetener? I might eventually quit coffee and go for unsweetened hot chai tea which I also love - but I’m just not there yet!

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Minimally processed pure stevia liquid extract has been a game changer for me. After taking a Nutritional Science class and spending a lot of time on a mid-term project researching sweeteners like Truvia I moved away from it. Good in concept but its a 40 step process for the big soda company to make that product. I've had really good results using liquid stevia / monk fruit. Immediate sweetness for the tongue without the internal effects and only takes a tiny amount due to how intense it is.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you like something sweet and it is not causing health issues or causing you to over eat, why not try a powdered stevia with no filler. The stevia I use in my decaf is plain stevia. An ounce container has 622 servings and costs $5.95 at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It includes a tiny tiny scoop so one will be sure to not add too much and get the bitter taste so many don't like.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    Minimally processed pure stevia liquid extract has been a game changer for me. After taking a Nutritional Science class and spending a lot of time on a mid-term project researching sweeteners like Truvia I moved away from it. Good in concept but its a 40 step process for the big soda company to make that product. I've had really good results using liquid stevia / monk fruit. Immediate sweetness for the tongue without the internal effects and only takes a tiny amount due to how intense it is.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking of going to. I tried Sweet Leaf before tho and found it very bitter.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you like something sweet and it is not causing health issues or causing you to over eat, why not try a powdered stevia with no filler. The stevia I use in my decaf is plain stevia. An ounce container has 622 servings and costs $5.95 at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It includes a tiny tiny scoop so one will be sure to not add too much and get the bitter taste so many don't like.

Hmmm, none of those stores around here - I live in here boondocks - but I’ll see if I can order it to try it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You can even get powdered dried stevia leaf in a bag but you can only use it in non liquid foods because it is powdered leaf and not something that dissolves.
    g101ernn2ujh.png
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Thanks. I only use it in the coffee tho.
  • kpk54
    Options
    GammieLCHF wrote: »

Hmmm, none of those stores around here - I live in here boondocks - but I’ll see if I can order it to try it.

Amazon has it. '365 Organic Stevia' powder. 1 ounce. $5.99. The 365 brand is Whole Foods generic or private label.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    GammieLCHF wrote: »

Amazon has it. '365 Organic Stevia' powder. 1 ounce. $5.99. The 365 brand is Whole Foods generic or private label.

Ordering now, thanks! Hopefully it will work. Truvia is 3 net carbs, so this should really cut my carb count! ❤️
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Actually, that’s only for Prime Pantry and you have to get $35 worth of products I’ll never use, so I’m thinking I’m gonna try these? Anyone have experience with these? 3cvtq25cqm6d.png
    nujka0dh1rq9.png
    qfwdkpbkywmb.png
  • GammieLCHF
    edited May 2019
    Options
    70 packets should last me a month, maybe. Lol.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I've never used SweetLeaf but have heard several indicate they use it. It is available here (NC) in about every supermarket I have been in so you may not have to order it on line unless that is how you like to purchase things. :)
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that sweeteners of any kind, including stevia, seem to raise insulin levels even if there are no carbs or calories in them.

Up to you whether this is a concern or not; for me it is so I have gone cold turkey and am not using any. Yeah, it means tea does not taste as nice, but I am finding my tastes changing. Plain water tastes far sweeter than it used to, and I now quite like unsweetened plain yoghurt simply with some berries added (I used to add stevia or a little jam).

I don't know what I'll do when it comes to special occasions (birthdays, etc) if making a cake - what is the best option; sugar, stevia, or using a sweet wholefood like dates. I think I'm more likely to go the wholefood route, even if it is more calories and carbs, as it is the insulin response that I think is worse (and wholefoods pack in fibre alongside the carbs which I think is better for me) - either that or just give myself a break and use a normal recipe as we shouldn't stress too much about imperfect eating if it is in balance with everything else.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @Luciicul Not being confrontational in any way but I am a stevia user and always try to look at all angles for my own knowledge. Do you have a link to a study that shows stevia raises insulin levels?

I've done extensive research on stevia for a Nutrition Science class and if anything stevia improves our insulin sensitivity. As a diabetic I have tested myself as part of a project on stevia with a 16+ hour fast a couple times throughout the semester and my blood sugars went down rather than up.

Stevia mixed with other fillers does have the potential to have a negative effect.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    @Luciicul Not being confrontational in any way but I am a stevia user and always try to look at all angles for my own knowledge. Do you have a link to a study that shows stevia raises insulin levels?

I've done extensive research on stevia for a Nutrition Science class and if anything stevia improves our insulin sensitivity. As a diabetic I have tested myself as part of a project on stevia with a 16+ hour fast a couple times throughout the semester and my blood sugars went down rather than up.

Stevia mixed with other fillers does have the potential to have a negative effect.

I don't pretend to have done a huge amount of research on it, but I trust that the doctors who have advised against using it have done their research before making such a claim. Perhaps you can share the research evidence that shows us Stevia does not raise insulin?

One study cited: Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/ . This study compares stevia to sucrose and aspartame (unfortunately does not have a control who consumed no sweetener at all) and note the graphs that show insulin levels are LOWEST prior to consumption of sweeteners, insulin levels rise after consumption of sweeteners (including stevia), and while the study concludes that in the short term stevia raises insulin less than sucrose consumption does, 120 minutes post-lunch insulin levels are even HIGHER for those who consumed stevia than for those who consumed sucrose.

Unfortunately, I believe most of the research done is about how stevia compares to other sweeteners and sugar, rather than how does it compare to someone not consuming any processed sugar or sweetener. This is typical of commercially driven research: they want evidence that can sell a product, and there is no money to be made from research that shows that it's best not to consume sweeteners (so who would pay to undertake such research?).

So perhaps one can conclude from these studies that Stevia is acceptable for people who refuse to give up on sweeteners, but there is no evidence that it is better than not having a sweetener of any kind. It does raise insulin, as all sugar and sweeteners do.

But if you have evidence to the contrary - that proves Stevia consumption is better than someone not consuming any sweeteners - by all means I would love to know about it. Life would be easier with a healthy sweetener, I just haven't seen any evidence there is one.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Tried it. Conclusion: you need a better browser! phizgucona3c.png