Thinking about cutting sweeteners more severly

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chocolate but without any kind of sweetners period. Talking about taste changes I just can not seem to get enough whole milk plain Greek yogurt these days and just eat it out of the tub. That one came out of the blue a month or two ago. Recently I bought 5 of the 2 pound tubs and three are already gone. All of my life I would gag on any plain yogurt.

When I dropped sugar I dropped all sweeteners pretty soon because I realized I had no emotional need for them any longer.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this, just watched it and thought it was really interesting! I'm not keto, but am becoming more mindful of my artificial sweetener intake. Recently went from 2-4+ cans of diet soda a day, plus several packets a day of Splenda in my coffee, to completely cutting out the diet soda. However, I've added a bit of flavored water enhancer (Crystal Light), which has aspartme (still at a reduced intake from the diet soda!).

It was interesting to see that aspartame is neutral, as is liquid sucralose ie liquid Splenda :) My weight loss has seemed to take care of my prediabets, but I wonder if I should be paying a bit more attention to all of this. I'm going to see if I can find liquid sucralose for my coffee and eliminate the packets of Splenda.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this, just watched it and thought it was really interesting! I'm not keto, but am becoming more mindful of my artificial sweetener intake. Recently went from 2-4+ cans of diet soda a day, plus several packets a day of Splenda in my coffee, to completely cutting out the diet soda. However, I've added a bit of flavored water enhancer (Crystal Light), which has aspartme (still at a reduced intake from the diet soda!).

It was interesting to see that aspartame is neutral, as is liquid sucralose ie liquid Splenda :) My weight loss has seemed to take care of my prediabets, but I wonder if I should be paying a bit more attention to all of this. I'm going to see if I can find liquid sucralose for my coffee and eliminate the packets of Splenda.

The best and most cost effective way to get liquid sucralose is to make it yourself. Stuff like EzSweetz is $13/bottle (last I checked) for the big bottle. I bought a few times. I then purchased pure sucralose powder (I use Bulk Supplements from Amazon).
    1. You heat 2 cups water hot enough to dissolve.
    2. Add 2-3 tsp of pure sucralose powder to the water, depending on how concentrated you want it. Stir and cool.
    3. Add to dropper bottles and freeze the rest in a plastic container (which you can then thaw overnight when you are about to run out).

A 100g bag was $26, I think I made well over 6 big bottles worth. I'm not sure how many it makes since I stopped counting after that as it took me well over a year to use it up. I think I bought my first bag in Dec of 2016. I reordered in March of 2018. I'm still going strong on my that second bag. I use it in daily coffees and other random things.
    HTH :smile:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ..and for those interested in stevia and water enhancers: Mio has 3 flavors sweetened with stevia that I am aware of (Strawberry Orange, Tropical Cherry, Blackberry Raspberry).

I think all "Stir" (brand) LIQUIDS (not powdered) are stevia sweetened. Powdered Stir has cane sugar and stevia.
  • zeejane4
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

The best and most cost effective way to get liquid sucralose is to make it yourself. Stuff like EzSweetz is $13/bottle (last I checked) for the big bottle. I bought a few times. I then purchased pure sucralose powder (I use Bulk Supplements from Amazon).
    2. Add 2-3 tsp of pure sucralose powder to the water, depending on how concentrated you want it. Stir and cool.
    3. Add to dropper bottles and freeze the rest in a plastic container (which you can then thaw overnight when you are about to run out).

A 100g bag was $26, I think I made well over 6 big bottles worth. I'm not sure how many it makes since I stopped counting after that as it took me well over a year to use it up. I think I bought my first bag in Dec of 2016. I reordered in March of 2018. I'm still going strong on my that second bag. I use it in daily coffees and other random things.

Thanks for the tip!

I just got back from the store and bought the store brand liquid sucrolose, it was $3 for 200 drops/servings. Going to try it in my coffee and see how I like it :)
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I wonder if I can put Mio drops in my coffee...

I don’t do a lot of treats tho I usually have 1/3 a serving of chocolate before bed.
    ue0ksss8kyll.jpeg

Lately the malitol has been upsetting my tummy (or bowels, lol, YOU know) so I’m cutting that for now.

For Mother’s Day I am making a dessert using SF pudding but it’s something I don’t do often. A friend of mine have me this idea of a strawberry shortcake to make with the Magic Rolls I make every week (batch in the oven now!)

Sorry the photo posted in the middle of my post cause... phone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip!

I just got back from the store and bought the store brand liquid sucrolose, it was $3 for 200 drops/servings. Going to try it in my coffee and see how I like it :)

Man I wish my stores had that. It would save me a lot of trouble playing kitchen chemist. :lol:
  • zeejane4
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thanks for the tip!

Man I wish my stores had that. It would save me a lot of trouble playing kitchen chemist. :lol:

This is what I bought, I'm pretty sure I only paid $3 though-I think they mark up on their online shopping option?
    https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/pantry/baking/sugar-substitutes/meijer-liquid-sweetener-with-sucralose-1-68-oz/p/88692621697

They also had this, which is the brand name liquid option I guess. I'm cheap so I went with the generic lol
    https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/pantry/baking/sugar-substitutes/splenda-zero-liquid-sweetener-1-68-oz/p/72277600000

eta: Meijer is a Midwest, US, chain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    @Luciicul Not being confrontational in any way but I am a stevia user and always try to look at all angles for my own knowledge. Do you have a link to a study that shows stevia raises insulin levels?

I've done extensive research on stevia for a Nutrition Science class and if anything stevia improves our insulin sensitivity. As a diabetic I have tested myself as part of a project on stevia with a 16+ hour fast a couple times throughout the semester and my blood sugars went down rather than up.

Stevia mixed with other fillers does have the potential to have a negative effect.

I’m not aware of any studies that prove it but it’s based on the idea that insulin is secreted upon tasting sweet food in anticipation of blood sugar rise. I believe it’s called first phase insulin response.
    Your experiment showing that blood sugar goes down upon using it would actually serve to suggest this theory is actually true rather than untrue, because your body would secrete insulin but have no incoming sugar to actually work upon, therefore bringing blood sugar down.

I put a small amount of whey protein powder in my coffee every morning for that very reason. It brings my BG right down if it is a bit high.