Alpha-lipoic Acid and Fish Oil - what else?

Options
GammieLCHF
GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
What vitamins would you recommend? I’m gonna look for these based on this article about supporting my leptin levels. What supplements do you take and why? I don’t have a whole lot of extra money, but I can afford maybe two things. o2n0gm221pkr.png

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would maybe take fish oil and that's it. If you eat a fair bit of fish, I would skip it. I live in the prairies so I don't eat much fish.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I would maybe take fish oil and that's it. If you eat a fair bit of fish, I would skip it. I live in the prairies so I don't eat much fish.

I hate fish or any seafood. I can sometimes tolerate tuna fish if it’s hidden with a lot of mayo and pickles!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL I would consider fish oil pills then. ;)
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Oops. Well, I like lobster. But everyone likes butter. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    alpha-lipolic acid causes organ failure when overdosed...that's kind of crazy, but it looks like it has good results for treating diabetic neuropathy and that's kind of amazing.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    alpha-lipolic acid causes organ failure when overdosed...that's kind of crazy, but it looks like it has good results for treating diabetic neuropathy and that's kind of amazing.

Hmm, good to know! I’ll be careful.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Speaking of neuropathy my daughter sent me this photo a few months ago. At the time it made me really mad, but I actually think it’s one of the reasons I got back to LCHF instead of eating junk. 98usrsjrvo3s.png
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I giggled at that meme, even though I know diabetic neuropathy is no laughing matter.

As for supplements...

In general, I subscribe to the philosophy of "don't take them 'just because,' take them if you see a demonstrated need for them."

I agree with the fish oil and make sure it's a high quality one. Rosita and Green Pastures seem to be the top two (just discard the drama between them). They're pricy, but they're the real deal as opposed to the knock-offs which tend to be questionable.

A good Vitamin D + K2 supplement is another good one, especially if you live outside of the tropics.

Electrolyte supplements are good to have on hand in general, but that's probably a given.

Selenium and chromium have been shown to be beneficial in those with metabolic dysfunction and signs of adrenal fatigue. They're both hard to get in the diet in most cases, so it can be a useful temporary supplement to replenish depleted stores.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When looking for fish oils, look for ones that are DHA/EPA, not just general fish oil. That is the easiest to use form for your body.

Here is my list of daily supplements:

Gut health (I have issues):
    L-Glutamine - Dr. recommended
    Probiotic (Garden Of Life Primal Defense Ultra)
    Prebiotic (Epicor)

Others:
    Multivitamin
    1500mg of DHA/EPA (I rarely eat fish, particularly the fatty kind)
    Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc/D3
    Vit C (somedays I am more carnivore than omnivore)
    Turmeric Curcumin with Bioprene (for joint inflammation and I swear it helps my eczema!)
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    Well, I placed my order and this is what I’m gonna try:
    Turmeric (current as my mom swears it’s a cure all)
    B12 (current my doc says I’m low)
    D3 and K2
    Vitamin C just cause I have it
    Magnesium (doc ordered a while back but I stopped taking it, I’ll finish up the bottle)
    Chromium
    Selenium
    Fish Oil

We’ll see if I notice any change.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a good b complex and vitamin e(mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols) in addition to those nutrients. It's best to get them all from food even though it can be hard to do.

https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrient-ranking-tool.php

This is the website I use to get a lot of info on what nutrients are in food.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to first get yourself checked to see where you are deficient or even below optimal to know what YOU need.

I found out through such testing that despite my high intake of B vitamins, I was low or borderline low on all but 1 of them. Subsequent testing showed I have a variant of the MTHFR gene that makes metabolizing B vitamins less efficient.

If you are low on something, I would first suggest trying to get it from food because, as several studies have shown, supplementation does not have the same impact as getting vitamins, minerals and other micronutrients as getting them from food. This is likely because there are other parts of those foods that help with the metabolizing of them.

Fish oil, vitamin D and multivitamins all have studies showing that supplementation did not have the positive health outcomes that higher blood levels without supplementation had.

Vitamin D is different than the others because the sun is the best way to get it. Even getting it through food is not as effective in terms of the cardiovascular benefits associated with higher blood levels. This is because in addition to vitamin D, sun exposure leads to other chemical responses involving nitrogen which act as a vasodialator (relaxes the blood vessels making it easier for them to stretch thereby lowering blood pressure).

An exception being K2 which, in the modern food world, is almost impossible to get in sufficient quantities.

The other potential exception that was relevant to me is magnesium. I have not found any studies showing supplementation is not effective, and given many of the foods that should be high in magnesium (spinach for example) do not have as much as they used to because of monocropping. Magnesium is not part of the chemical fertilizers that are used as they generally are only concerned with those things which help the plants to grow bigger and faster like nitrogen. Because the grow so much faster, in addition to not having as much magnesium in the soil, there is less pulled into the plant because it is in the ground for a shorter period of time before getting harvested.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fermented cod liver oil will cover a lot of the things you appear to be looking for.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I concur with getting yourself tested to see if you are deficient before you start supplementing. If you are taking ANY type of medication...ANY...thoroughly research the use of a supplement and discuss taking the supplement with your physician.

I think it is important to realize that if supplements are suggested because they are effective/beneficial...then so too should one accept they have the potential of being harmful under the right circumstances.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    My recommendation is to first get yourself checked to see where you are deficient or even below optimal to know what YOU need.

Any insights into amino acid testing?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Magnesium is the one supplement that I might kill for but there are other important ones but just not a matter of life and death like magnesium when it comes to my heart health.

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/5/2/e000775 Magnesium for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3957229/
    Magnesium Intake Is Inversely Associated With Coronary Artery Calcification
    The Framingham Heart Study

"RESULTS
    In fully adjusted models, a 50-mg/day increment in self-reported total magnesium intake was associated with 22% lower CAC (p < 0.001) and 12% lower AAC (p = 0.07). Consistent with these observations, the odds of having any CAC were 58% lower (p trend: <0.001) and any AAC were 34% lower (p trend: 0.01), in those with the highest compared to those with the lowest magnesium intake. Stronger inverse associations were observed in women than in men.

CONCLUSIONS
    In community-dwelling participants free of cardiovascular disease, self-reported magnesium intake was inversely associated with arterial calcification, which may play a contributing role in magnesium's protective associations in stroke and fatal coronary heart disease."
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'd talk to your doctor before starting any supplements. I was taking fish oil and my doctor told me to stop because of some side-effects it can have, especially with my medical history, (that I hadn't even thought of). I asked her about several other supplements I was thinking about taking and she went over my blood work/health markers/history and none of them were necessary.

Supplements are not a regulated industry and while many of them are harmless, there are some that can have side effects, interact negatively with other medications etc. Use caution with them.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I'd talk to your doctor before starting any supplements. I was taking fish oil and my doctor told me to stop because of some side-effects it can have, especially with my medical history, (that I hadn't even thought of). I asked her about several other supplements I was thinking about taking and she went over my blood work/health markers/history and none of them were necessary.

Supplements are not a regulated industry and while many of them are harmless, there are some that can have side effects, interact negatively with other medications etc. Use caution with them.

What are some of the side-effects fish oil can have?

Peter Attia MD has podcast about when antioxidants might not be best to take that I am going to check out too.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »

What are some of the side-effects fish oil can have?

Peter Attia MD has podcast about when antioxidants might not be best to take that I am going to check out too.

I have a history of blood clots and my doctor was concerned that I was taking fish oil with that in my background. A quick google search pulls up several potential problems related to blood issues, plus there's documented adverse reactions with certain medications.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    I’ve been tested many times over the past few years. I’m always deficient in certain things. Vitamin D, K, magnesium, B12 and B6. I was already taking all those, but stopped for a few month so Ive restarted. I think I just had pill weariness! Lol.

I’ve added selenium and chromium, no idea what my levels are in those. Also added a few other things I’m usually borderline in. And I added a good fish oil capsule. I hate eating fish. I can barely stand fish sticks, and sometimes tuna, but barely.

It’s been two weeks now and I definitely feel a difference. A lot less joint pain. Not sure what to attribute it to, added some questionable things like turmeric too which I used to take a lot but got out of the habit. One day I’ll list all my supplements if anyone is interested, but I think I hit most of them above. There are 9-10 I think. Thanks all!