Alpha-lipoic Acid and Fish Oil - what else?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I'd talk to your doctor before starting any supplements. I was taking fish oil and my doctor told me to stop because of some side-effects it can have, especially with my medical history, (that I hadn't even thought of). I asked her about several other supplements I was thinking about taking and she went over my blood work/health markers/history and none of them were necessary.

Supplements are not a regulated industry and while many of them are harmless, there are some that can have side effects, interact negatively with other medications etc. Use caution with them.

What are some of the side-effects fish oil can have?

Peter Attia MD has podcast about when antioxidants might not be best to take that I am going to check out too.

I have a history of blood clots and my doctor was concerned that I was taking fish oil with that in my background. A quick google search pulls up several potential problems related to blood issues, plus there's documented adverse reactions with certain medications.

OK I can see if one is taking a blood thinner since fish oil does the same in some people.

I have been taking fish oil supplements for 23 years at very high dosage sometimes since it helps manage my joint pain as does drinking a gallon of water a day but since 2014 Keto has been the icing on the cake so to speak. Thankfully I am Rx Med free.

One thing that I do take at bedtime and after 2 hours of no food to prevent blood clots is Wobenzym tablets. All that I know is they seem to be safe. A few years ago I took 20 tablets 4 times daily for 30 days before introducing them to a family member that is important to me.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    My recommendation is to first get yourself checked to see where you are deficient or even below optimal to know what YOU need.

Any insights into amino acid testing?

I have not looked at amino acid testing. Given how my diet has changed based on my own n=1 experimentation and what is working for me, my protein intake has gone up quite a bit and is mostly from animal sources and therefore complete proteins.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to first get yourself checked to see where you are deficient or even below optimal to know what YOU need.

I have not looked at amino acid testing. Given how my diet has changed based on my own n=1 experimentation and what is working for me, my protein intake has gone up quite a bit and is mostly from animal sources and therefore complete proteins.

Dumb question here, but I just got blood test results this morning and one of the things tested was levels of protein-is this the same thing being talked about here or am I completely confused, lol.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

Dumb question here, but I just got blood test results this morning and one of the things tested was levels of protein-is this the same thing being talked about here or am I completely confused, lol.

Not the same thing - the blood protein test is usually a kidney function test (I think).
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Not the same thing - the blood protein test is usually a kidney function test (I think).

thanks o:)
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Finally typed this up for my doc. All but the magnesium (doc ordered) are new. Something in there seems to be helping my joint pain.

Supplements started May 7th:
    Chromium Picolinate 800mcg
    Vitamins D3&K2 1000iu/45mcg
    Selenium 200mcg
    Magnesium 500mg
    Turmeric Curcumin 750mg
    Vitamin C 1000mg
    Fish Oil 1200mg
    Vitamin B-12 1000mcg
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Be careful with chromium and selenium. They can be toxic if taken too long at high doses.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The selenium is essential to make use of iodine to help with hypothyroid conditions. Just by taking selenium I was able to move my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies from 1108 U/ml (normal range is 0-60) down to 312 U/ml. Iodine without selenium negatively affects Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, iodine with selenium improves Hashi's. (2007 study - PubMed ID 17696828)
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I ran them by my endocrinologist (I don’t have a thyroid). He said they were excellent choices.