Wait times

Options
KennyPollard
KennyPollard Posts: 36 Member
Does anyone in Ontario know the average wait time between having the nutritionist and social worker sign off, and actually getting the surgery done?
I have some job opportunities this summer and want to plan accordingly.

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I hope you find your answer, I am over in Manitoba, not sure how different the process is but from the time I got signed off from all the right people, till I met with the surgeon was about 4 weeks and then my surgery was 5 weeks after that!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Depends on your clinic. I had a 5 month gap from last trio until meeting the surgeon because of the cpap stuff. But then it moved very quickly. I was offered a surgery date for 2 weeks later but opted for 4 weeks to give work more notice. I was through Guelph.
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    I’m all signed off, and my CPAP stuff is done. Just need the staff to review my file and hook me up with a surgeon.. I don’t care where, I can travel... the when is killing me.. of course I’d like this done yesterday...
  • HLaR79
    Options
    It’s hard to wait when your waiting for something that will change your life! I hope you don’t have to wait much longer and you get a chance at those job opportunities.
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Well, the file is now off to the surgeon.. it’s up to the meat cutter and the scheduling Gurus. Could be a week, two or who knows.
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Getting it done in London, so travel time will be minimal...
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Yay! Hopefully it’s fast now
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Surgeon appointment on Monday.. Hopefully I’ll be on the meat cutters table soon afterwards
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Saw the surgeons intern yesterday. Found out that they want to remove the band first and then do the bypass 4 weeks later.. was kinda disappointed by that. I was under the impression it would be done concurrently. Need to get a tummy scope done too, but that is getting done tomorrow.. baby steps... I’m happy things are moving forward, but not near quick enough for my liking.. lol
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dang! That was a potential complication for me.. if there was any erosion or slippage, my surgeon wanted to remove the band first, let me heal, then go back in and complete the VSG. It's all about your health and doing the surgery safely. Your patience and persistence will pay off in the long run!
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Baby steps is right!! Hope the scope goes well
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Scope is done.. had to do it without sedation... not fun...
    They found some esophagitis so they defo have to remove the band, let things heal and then go forth with the bypass...
    wasn’t the news I wanted to hear, but at least the reasoning is legit..
  • HLaR79
    Options
    At least you know what the plan is moving forward, not knowing is the worst :)
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Band removal in a couple weeks...
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Okay, so I’m a few days away from getting my Bandit Buddy removed from my tummy. It’ll be weird to not have it there after 8 years. Maybe some post partum depression?
    So, after this we see when my next scope to check on esophagitis healing is going, and then plan a date for the bypass.. Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly.
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Wow, i hope for quick healing so you can get on to the next stage :)
  • KennyPollard
    Options
    Well, the band is out.. Eating is no problem, and actually seems too easy.. it’s been a long time since I’ve felt any restriction, let alone the small amount I had with my band at the final stages.. next appointment with the Dr is in a month and I hope I can stay on track and not balloon up. It’s gonna be hard for sure.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Join our June accountability thread! Reach out, send me a message. I have no issues helping any way I can! YOU GOT THIS!
  • Cheetahgirl2019
    Cheetahgirl2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    July 17th is my 3rd diet doc visit. All tests and psych eval is done. Just have one more nutrition class and 2 support groups to go to. Looking to have surgery at the beginning of November.
  • HLaR79
    Options
    July 17th is my 3rd diet doc visit. All tests and psych eval is done. Just have one more nutrition class and 2 support groups to go to. Looking to have surgery at the beginning of November.

That’s very exciting :)