New Member! Keto plateau?

Options
Karrice12
Karrice12 Posts: 37 Member
Hello! I’m a new member here. I started Keto 3 months ago and have lost 36 pounds. For the past 2 weeks I have not lost anything at all. The only thing that has changed is that I have started exercising. I’ve only been doing the treadmill and elliptical, no weight lifting. I weigh and log everything into the carb manager app. I’m allowed 1450 calories and on the days I exercise I bump it up to 1600 calories. My weight loss was so steady and now I have stayed the exact same for 2 weeks, it worries me. Any tips?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's probably the exercise which is causing a bit of water retention in your muscles during recovery.

For example, a few years ago I had to stop a fairly heavy lifting routine due to an injury. Within 2 weeks I lost close to 10 lbs without any changes to my diet. I think it was just just the retained water weight coming off.

My guess is you are still losing fat but the water retention is masking it. Keep going. :)
  • Karrice12
    Karrice12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don’t worry about it.
    People almost always top losing weight upon starting exercise for one and for two, you can lose fat without losing scale weight.
    I haven’t lost any weight in a long long time. But I lost a lot of fat and I don’t work out.
    bo7ll0cg3wcj.jpeg
    Wow you look great!! Congrats! Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep exercising and hopefully the scale will start moving again soon.

• Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You've lost quite a bit of weight. When was the last that you calculated your TDEE?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has had good suggestions. I will observe that in my experience, and two-week plateau is just one of those things that just happens.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this but my husband started intermittent fasting and it has helped with his plateaus.
    I agree with the above though that when you start exercising you hold onto water weight. I haven't been taking photos but after seeing the others post I may have to start.
    Also @Nokt2018 has a point that you may need recalculate your TDEE since you've dropped a good amount of weight.
    Best of luck, you're doing great!
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Karrice12 wrote: »
    Hello! I’m a new member here. I started Keto 3 months ago and have lost 36 pounds. For the past 2 weeks I have not lost anything at all. The only thing that has changed is that I have started exercising. I’ve only been doing the treadmill and elliptical, no weight lifting. I weigh and log everything into the carb manager app. I’m allowed 1450 calories and on the days I exercise I bump it up to 1600 calories. My weight loss was so steady and now I have stayed the exact same for 2 weeks, it worries me. Any tips?

What’s your net carb count daily? For me I have to keep it under 40 to lose, and really under 20 to lose more than a half a pound a month.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also, hormones. Sometimes just wait it out.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    3 months ago and have lost 36 pounds

3 months = 12 weeks

36lbs / 12weeks = 3lbs/week

Until this point, you've averaged 3lbs per week, even counting the two weeks of no change on the scale. That's huge (and, in fact, arguably a little too fast, though it's not uncommon for people on keto).

Make sure you're not starving yourself. Contrary to popular belief, you don't (generally) need to feel like you're starving in order to get anywhere with weight loss. Weight loss like this suggests you might be able to bump it up if you are feeling that way (or if you're feeling other signs of too steep a deficit, such as coldness, fatigue, hair loss, etc).
  • Lemnakimberley
    Lemnakimberley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dragonwolf. But after being in a Plateau forever I ran across Dr. Annette Bosworth’s weight loss ratio. I tracked it religiously February and I found it to be correct. Morning blood glucose/blood ketones. Under 80% and I lose weight. Over and I maintain or gain a bit if it is really high. Also I wouldn’t worry about calories, the calories in and calories out will just reduce the metabolism if you focus on keeping under a certain amount. For me I rarely feel truly hungry and seem to get full quick so A good indicator for me on my eating days that I haven’t eaten enough is I get cold. I eat a 1/2 avocado and I can feel the heat ramp up.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dragonwolf. But after being in a Plateau forever I ran across Dr. Annette Bosworth’s weight loss ratio. I tracked it religiously February and I found it to be correct. Morning blood glucose/blood ketones. Under 80% and I lose weight. Over and I maintain or gain a bit if it is really high. Also I wouldn’t worry about calories, the calories in and calories out will just reduce the metabolism if you focus on keeping under a certain amount. For me I rarely feel truly hungry and seem to get full quick so A good indicator for me on my eating days that I haven’t eaten enough is I get cold. I eat a 1/2 avocado and I can feel the heat ramp up.

I love Dr. Boz's videos! My husband came across them and they're so helpful. :smile: I love her formula and have been using it, too.
  • Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your photos are amazing! Are those dates correct? That even after a few months you kept the same weight?? Your body looks totally changed!! From 12/16 to 4/17 and the same weight, and then gaining a few pounds the following year, only to see that you're still losing? Absolutely amazing!
    Don’t worry about it.
    People almost always top losing weight upon starting exercise for one and for two, you can lose fat without losing scale weight.
    I haven’t lost any weight in a long long time. But I lost a lot of fat and I don’t work out.
    bo7ll0cg3wcj.jpeg

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Mjkozki wrote: »
    Hi! Your photos are amazing! Are those dates correct? That even after a few months you kept the same weight?? Your body looks totally changed!! From 12/16 to 4/17 and the same weight, and then gaining a few pounds the following year, only to see that you're still losing? Absolutely amazing!
    Don’t worry about it.
    bo7ll0cg3wcj.jpeg

It’s very much correct. I’m actually more consistently 147 these days but I wear the same clothes I’ve been wearing for 2 years now.
    I don’t even work out.
  • Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Now you've pissed me off. I hate you. I can't wait to get you are, so I can get my sister to hate me too! LOL Congrats:)