Converting Desserts like cookies, to low carb

I am a Type 2 Diabetic, eating low carb 45-50 grams per day since May 2018. I have been reading quite a bit on the various sugar replacements, and flour alternatives. So I have decided to try some out and see how many of my Holiday Cookies I can convert over to a healthier lower carb version.

One thing I have been somewhat disappointed by on various sites is they will state it is no sugar and low carb but give no nutrition information. So for ones I like, I have been inputting the information here on MFP so I can see does it fit in with what I like and can work into my food for the day.

Well lesson 1 has been learned, using almond and coconut flour items should not be baked nearly as long as original recipe, and lesson 2 I will consider turning the oven down to 350 instead of 375. So will attempt the cookies a second time again.

Replies

• foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    thanks for putting this recipe together; I need to keep these type of snacks in freezer in small portions to not overdue.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    I haven't made cookies yet, mainly because almond and coconut flour where I live are very expensive.

But I did make a chocolate ice cream that turned out okay.

2/3 cup Half and half
    2-3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    2-3 tbsp of stevia, monk fruit, or swerve.
    1 tsp of vanilla extract
    1 tsp of coffee (optional)

Heat all in small sauce pan whisking just until blended (cocoa will still have some small clumps).

One diced avocado in a mixing bowl, pour in cocoa mix, mix with a mixer until smooth and creamy, freeze.

Makes three servings.
    Approximate per serving:

225 calories
    4 protein
    11 Carbs
    4 fibers
    4 sugars
    21 fat
    10 saturated
    1 polyunsaturated
    5 monounsaturated
    0 trans fat
    87 sodium
    373 potassium
    6 vitamin A
    8 vitamin C
    2 iron

After eating keto for about a month, this was a sweet treat.