Reflecting, one month in

Options
zeejane4
zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
edited May 2019 in Social Groups
I started this whole lower carb thing on April 16th, so one month today. It's been an interesting ride so far and it's been full of surprises that I wasn't expecting. Thought it would be fun to do a bit of a run-down :)

Since starting a lower carb woe (100g or less target, hitting closer to 50g net carbs right now)
-significant decrease in appetite
-no more lingering/nagging hunger in the background, all day
-no more thinking about food all the time, besides thinking about low carb foods as I'm reading/watching about them
-significant decrease in bloating and gassiness
-I've lost 8.8lbs, and I'm trying to get this to stop since I now have a BMI of 20.8 :p
-I've now had two cycles, (as of this morning), and both times there has been none of my regular PMS symptoms/cravings for sweet stuff the day before it starts. I also haven't had the normal water retention like before, and actually saw a 4oz drop on the scale this morning, on the first day of this cycle. Could be a coincidence, but to have it twice in a row, after having the same pattern for 25ish years, does make me think it's somehow connected, lol :)
-it's gotten me out of my mainteannce 'funk' and I'm excited about food again, and my weight management plan. I think boredom is one of the biggest reasons for failure in maintenance and I was definitely there earlier this year (along with some weight creep). I'm having a lot of fun right now as I learn more about a low carb lifestyle and as I'm exploring different foods
-had a doctor's appointment this week-blood pressure was 110/70 and my cholesterol numbers were all in the normal range. My glucose number was an 80, the lowest one on my record, (was at prediabetic levels in 2012)

Negatives:
-first couple weeks I had a few restless nights of sleep, this seems to be over with though now
-I've had numerous social gatherings and a lot more coming up, and it has been challenging some of the times. Tomorrow we're going to a cookout and it will be awkward to take buns off etc, and I know there's no low carb foods being offered besides the meat that we're bringing. I may have to splurge and bring a berry fruit salad or something, just so I'm not sitting there with a naked hot dog and nothing else on my plate, lol.

Otherwise there hasn't really been negatives, except my weight is getting a bit too low for my comfort level.
I'm very pleased with how everything is going and while I started this as an experiment I have no intention of quitting it any time soon :)

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually bring veggies for the grill to cookouts...sliced yellow squash or zucchini or portabella mushroom caps...a little salt, pepper, and garlic and they taste amazing on the grill...or you can marinate them in a mix of soy sauce and sesame oil...or like a giant caesar salad if I'm feeling more lazy...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised at how many people eat bunless naked hot dogs and burgers.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well done! I have brought a spinach salad with homemade oil and vinegar to cookouts. Also deviled eggs are a great side dish.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Well done! I have brought a spinach salad with homemade oil and vinegar to cookouts. Also deviled eggs are a great side dish.

This is a great idea, think I'm going to do this!

I did the naked burger thing today at Wendys-just discretely peeled it off and stuck the bun under a napkin :D I was out with my 11 year old son and he didn't say anything about the bun, but he couldn't wrap his mind around me ordering a side salad instead of fries, poor kid kept offering me his, lol.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I did the naked burger thing today at Wendys-just discretely peeled it off and stuck the bun under a napkin

Every Wendy's I've been to near me has no problem giving me a bunless burger - it's one of my go-to orders. They stick it right in a little container for me and give me a fork and knife. My other common order is the Southwest Avocado Chicken salad.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yep my Wendy's knows my regular order of half size Apple Pecan Chicken salad with full chicken and extra bleu cheese. I don't stress about the little chunks of apple or the few cranberries in it - fits my macros ok. Make sure if you order a lettuce wrap burger that they make it up last in your family's order otherwise it gets kinda lukewarm & yucky.
  • latiatowlai
    latiatowlai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations making it a month xx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread!!
  • KMD1214
    KMD1214 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring and affirming!! I’ve been worrying about not getting enough calories in (also less than 1000)and wrecking my metabolism, or grinding my weight loss to a halt—- thanks, Gammie!
    I started 25 or less carbs and 1000 or less calories on May 2. And NO alcohol . 23 days later, I’ve lost 11 lbs, with 25 to go. As above, no cravings, never hungry (or hangry!). So hopeful (and grateful) right now.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    I did the naked burger thing today at Wendys-just discretely peeled it off and stuck the bun under a napkin

Every Wendy's I've been to near me has no problem giving me a bunless burger - it's one of my go-to orders. They stick it right in a little container for me and give me a fork and knife. My other common order is the Southwest Avocado Chicken salad.

zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2017/06/24/zero-carb-ordering-from-mcdonalds/

I find this article is dead on at most all McDonald's. The quarter pounder patty locally is $1.20 each but on a road trip to MN last week they were $2.50 each. Locally two 1/4 patties and a senior cup of coffee cost $3.17 and is typically about 800 calories if I get two refills on my coffee with six half and half creamers in each. I am not counting the calories in 8 packs of mustard because I do not know the amount nor do I count calories. I know calories count so I just let them do all of the counting for me. :)
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to get calories right on keto.ive given up.The loss of appetite is the biggest thing I've noticed, I'm around 8 weeks in.its getting easier