Declutterfest 2019!

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    @nebslp
    Wow, that sounds great! I hope you’ll teach me.

I was all hung-ho to do financial files & decided to finish the photos/memorabilia first. Time to get it done.

Today: 2 hours. Going through photos & grouping photos for 2 trips, labeled containers with labeled.

All remaining photos are now out on dining room table & ones I’ve gone through before are on kitchen counter. Will finish those, then the ones on DR table. Then the small cupboard in LR. Then the final 6 Amal boxes I inherited of old family photos & miscellaneous (2 of the boxes will be easy.)

Will take awhile, but I continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 You will get the photos done! I’ll share what I learn at the class if it’s helpful. Good for you for finishing up. Getting started is hard, but finishing is even harder. So many decisions!

I’ve done a lot with my photos but haven’t quite seen the light! Maybe a small glimmer... Several murky areas yet😏 I’m pretty satisfied with most groups but I have one called “multiple kids” that needs to be put in subgroups. I was putting that off but Saturday my SIL asked for pics of my daughter. Now I will have to go through that box to find photos of her with one or more of her 3 siblings so I might as well finish that category. It is an exhausting project but very fun. I have trouble finishing things, so many times I’ll take a break 1/2 way through a project and say it’s good enough for now as a way of procrastinating. I guess it’s that old OK plateau again!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp

Me too re: partway. Not this time. :) I’m emotionally ready to complete this after likely 5-7 passes in the past 4-5 years. Thank you for your support and company on this journey!

So, I need your help. The photos with multiple family members in them are tripping me up.

I think I’ll do a search on-line...
  • nebslp
    edited May 2019
    h1lupdxwdch2.jpg
    I’m trying to attach a picture to show how I’m sorting multiple kids groups. Each group will get a separate envelope and I’ll have to make copies of the good ones for the various kids. Looks like this could take awhile!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @nebslp, I'm always interested to read your photo progress, thoughts, and ideas!
    I had been doing a lot of sorting of photographs and had even began some photo albums for my adult children, but then I fell and broke two bones in my wrist, and then was the caregiver for my brother and then broke it again.... and then.... But this spring I finally feel like I have my energy back and thankfully things are finally calm around here, so I have been busy reclaiming my Back Fence Garden since we've had a wonderfully pleasant Spring, and I've also been back to working on decluttering/ reorganizing.
    However, making the kids photo albums is also way up there on my things to get back to doing list, especially since Summer is right around the corner so I'll be indoors more. But I'm enjoying having an actual Spring this year, so garden and yard work has been more fun :laugh: !

So keep the conversation and ideas coming!! I'm reading :smiley: .

:flowerforyou:

• MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp thank you!
    I did a pretty thorough search for photo organization ideas this AM - and began writing down categories, and then realized...

One think computers excel at are allowing us to assign multiple tags to a photo & then being able to search by that tag.

The obvious answer struck me like a “I could have had a V8 commercial!” LOL

I have to scan (or use a service) & tag the photos.

SO, I’m concentrating on weeding out duplicates, bad pics, etc. to cut down on the scanning time/cost. I’m being pretty ruthless. Just too many photos.

I told myself to work 15 mins today on the actual photos. Probably ended up doing 45-60 mins.

Now, the question is: save, scan, or toss the negatives?!

• MadisonMolly2017
    @texasgardnr
    I’m glad you’re enjoying your garden. From your name, I can tell that is important to you!! 🌺🌼🌸
  • nebslp
    I went to my digital photo storage class on Sat. It was good and I learned a lot so I'll just share a few tidbits of info. The instructor said Google Photo is a good storage place to keep all of your photos. You get 15GB storage free and can buy more if you need it. You can upload all of the photos already on your computer. Once you've scanned your physical photos you can upload them to Google Photo and retrieve them any time to work on them in an editing program or if you want to put them on CDs. Scanning was easy but it does take time. Scan at 300 dpi for regular prints. For better quality you can scan them at a higher dpi, then print them at 300. If scanning tiny prints, slides, or negatives use 1200 dpi. Flashdrives are unreliable and should not be your primary means of storage. According to the instructor you don't even need to use external hard drive or anything other than Google Photo but I don't have as much faith in things I can't see as she does. There are several ways of organizing photos on Google Photo such as albums and you can move things around. It will download all your photos automatically from your phone or device that syncs with it. You can delete unwanted photos later. My daughter-in-law uses this for everything and loves it. Hope that helps.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,747 Member
    Wow! @nebslp, that class sounds terrific! And the fact that you found it at the perfect time, is so wonderful!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp thank u so much

Did yournTractor think that Google photos was better than iPhoto on the Apple devices

Can iPhoto
    Library be transferred to google photos?

• nebslp
    The class was good but now I need to figure out how to use my scanner😏 I think the instructor said iPhoto is good too, and I don’t know how, but Im sure they could be transferred to google. She said she has photos in several places including the cloud. I think that’s part of her backup system but I think it would be confusing.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Thank you @nebslp !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    I put all the photos away. Will work again on them at next Declutterfest. Mother’s Say surprisingly triggered a lot for me.

Self-care ♥️
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,747 Member
    I put all the photos away. Will work again on them at next Declutterfest. Mother’s Say surprisingly triggered a lot for me.

Self-care ♥️

This sounds like a wise choice. Your decluttering sounds like it has come to the end of a session.

• nebslp
    My decluttering and study time have ended as well. Watching grandkids every day this week. I'm exhausted already!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @77tes & @nebslp

I love the Quarterly Declutterfests. Perhaps at this stage, it’s best to do in 2-week “bursts.” That’s feeling good to me :)

Grandkids!!!!💕💕I don’t have any so I tend to idealize that, but my friends also find them quite fatiguing 🍀🍀🍀
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Was binge watching Marie Kondo on Netflix yesterday. Saw an episode that reminded me SO MUCH of myself! Really got me in the mood to kick it into gear and do a declutterfest. I missed this one, which is disappointing because this is my favorite challenge, but it's never too to find a spot and get busy, right?

This week, beginning tonight, I am going to spend 15 minutes each evening going through magazines next to my recliner. It will take me more than a week to go through EVERY stack of magazines I have, but I'll start with the stack next to recliner for this week.

This weekend, I will tackle start a bigger project but not sure where yet...maybe clothes, so I can fold them like Marie does and get the clutter out of the closet and dressers.

Operation Magazine Toss:
    Monday, 5/20:
    Tuesday, 5/21:
    Wednesday, 5/22:
    Thursday, 5/23:
    Friday, 5/24:

To be continued...

:mrgreen:
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    I also enjoyed binge watching Marie Kondo on Netflix earlier this year. It was very bingeable :p .

After DeclutterFest ended, and I finished up what was left to do in the the 'Little Room', I had heard on several podcasts about various declutter challenges people had done, or were were doing. That gave me the idea of doing one of my own, tapping into what was already accomplished during this DeclutterFest, in order to keep my momentum going in a smaller, sustained manner.

I decided to continue decluttering at least several days a week for just a few minutes (or more) in any area of my house that I wanted to that struck my fancy, such as a drawer or shelf, or a room that would keep my motivation going. I keep a notebook so that I could see the progress myself, and so I can revisit an area easily. I have found over the years that when I revisit an area at a later time I see that space with a new perspective.

As time went on I decided to add in a "paper" challenge, as that is my true clutter nemesis that I need to tackle. And after my computer problems in May I decided to add a "digital" challenge because I just cannot bear to add all the digital data clutter that my son recovered onto the new computer. How many "favorites" on my browser are really a "favorite" ... for instance 🤔 🤩. And how many picture bloopers or doubles do I need to leave on my phone?

Depending on the day, I can do a few minutes in any challenge(s) that work well for me, or my mood 🧐.

As of today I've done 45 physical clutter sessions, 14 paper sessions (this one is the most difficult for me to want to do :s ), and 7 digital sessions. (I have included my sessions from our DeclutterFest here in the count of my physical decluttering sessions to date.)

I thought I'd share this because when I was looking around today to discover what space I would declutter in for a bit (not paper 😅), I really was amazed how doing something on most days, has already made a difference.

:flowerforyou: 🌼
  • nebslp
    @texasgardnr Wow! That’s progress!! Keeping track of what you’ve done is a great idea. When you’re cleaning drawers and cupboards that you don’t open often, it’s hard to feel or see you’ve accomplished anything. Having an actual count of what you’ve gotten done would be very uplifting. I’ve read that making ongoing, consistent efforts every day, no matter how small, is the way to succeeding at whatever goal you set. Instead of just crossing off a task on my to-do list, I need to have a “done” list! (BTW, I LOVE lists)!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    @texasgardnr That makes me want to get at it when I get home! Thanks for sharing! I'm still cringing at the thought of the digital declutterfest.