This May I Will...

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member

Hi Everyone, I’ve been reading your status updates and you are all doing so well! A Very warm welcome to @rhi_hall and @mzbrit89. We are happy that you’ve joined us!

@PackerFanInGB, my heart hurts for you. I know what a terrible time this is for you right now. I have little to add to what @MadisonMolly2017, @77tes, and @nebslp have already said. Don’t beat yourself up. You are dealing with extraordinary stress at the moment and it’s only logical that old habits and thinking patterns (and thinking patterns ARE habits) re-emerge in times of stress. Eating well, gratitude journaling, getting enough sleep, and meditation are all great coping strategies.

I’m not doing great with my May focus of adding an evening meditation session. It’s hit or miss. I think a big reason it’s not sticking naturally is meditation is something I do every morning, after my morning cup of coffee. It’s not that I can’t do it in the evening, it just seems out of place. Like having coffee at night. So instead, I’ve been doing a five minute progressive muscle relaxation session with Calm. It’s very easy to do. Start with your feet and tighten your feet muscles as you breathe in. Hold that muscle contraction for a few seconds and then relax your feet muscles as you exhale. Repeat the process with your leg, torso, arms, neck, and finally facial muscles. It’s surprisingly effective and quick!
  • noel11235
    noel11235 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey just joined. This is on my cell phone so sorry if it looks bad.

1. My goal for this month (This May I will..."): drink 32 oz of water per day
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: bring a refillable bottle to work
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: have the bottle ready to be filled in clear sight in the morning
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?: listen to audiobook in the way home from work. On weekend get tea
    6. What help do you need from us? no judgment
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of May? drinking water becomes a habit
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,749 Member
    edited May 2019
    @noel11235 , welcome! You’ve come to the right place. This is a no judgment zone. 👌 Drinking water is a great goal, and having your refillable water bottle in sight is a great cue to help make that happen.

@themedalist , progressive relaxation is a great practice. It’s much like a yoga nidra I do.

I had another great week with my goal. I stayed under 5 days out of 7. Prelogging is really helping me see how I can stay my fat goal on a daily basis. The scale giveth and taketh away, but I’m not letting fluctuations discourage me.

Have a great week all!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    May Challenge: Food Journaling:

5/13: :) Made good mindful choices also.
    5/14: :) Journaled every bite. Made a few not so great choices but my goal is to journal every bite and I did.
    5/15: :smile:
    5/16: :naughty: Journaled up until dinner. Not sure why I didn't finish. (Same with next two days.)
    5/17: :naughty:
    5/18: :naughty:
    5/19: :smile: Even managed to munch on 1 lb of raw veggies yesterday. Veggies are hard for me.
    5/20:
    5/21:
    5/22:
    5/23:
    5/24:
    5/25:
    5/26:
    5/27:
    5/28:
    5/29:
    5/30:
    5/31:

• PackerFanInGB
    @noel11235 Welcome! Getting your daily water in is a GREAT goal! I like your reward ideas too.

@themedalist I used to listen to a session that was a sleep hypnosis type app before I switched to Calm at night. It always started with tightening and relaxing muscles from head to toe and wow did that every feel good! I had forgotten all about that. It sure did help get rid of tension I was feeling. Insightful of you to make the habit something that will fit your lifestyle better. :)

@77tes Another successful week! You are such an inspiration to us all. Pre-logging is such a good habit to get into. I know I do much better with my food choices when I do this.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    Things are going well.
    Doing much better with leaving things on my Plate!
  • VeggiGirl75
    VeggiGirl75 Posts: 12 Member

1. My goal for this month to log my food honestly as possible.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal. Work on finding friends to keep me accountable and offer support

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit . Notifications

4. How often will you do your new habit? 3x daily

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Idk yet

6. What help do you need from us? Friends and support.

7. What does success look like to you at the end of May? An accurate for log not made up to look good or empty
  • PackerFanInGB
    Hi everyone. Just Hopping on to let you know I have not fallen off the face of the earth again. I have some kind of neurological thing going on right now that’s causing me to see double. My head has been pounding since Tuesday. I’ve seen two doctors and been to the ER for CAT scans. I’m going to see another doctor this morning. So far all I’ve heard is that they think I had a mini stroke to one of my optical nerves. When I woke up today I noticed my right eye is either swollen or starting to droop so that’s very concerning to me. I can’t see my screen real good so I’m dictating this, so please forgive me if some of the words are correct in my sentences. I will be back posting away soon as I figure out what’s going on and I can see the screen better. Any of you that pray, I could use some prayers right now. And any of you that would be willing to send me some positive vibes, those are absolutely welcome also. XOXO
  • 77tes
    @PackerFanInGB , praying for you now. 🙏
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    @PackerFanInGB You must be so worried right now. You’re on the right track by getting the tests done to figure this out. Hope you get good news soon. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    To all the new May posters...welcome! Let us know how things are going for you🙂
  • VeggiGirl75
    Sending prayers @PackerFanInGB
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    @PackerFanInGB
    🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I’m praying & sending healing thoughts...
    Our bodies are amazing & you got prompt care (awesome job❣️)

Hoping for speedy resolution 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Much Love
    ♥️❤️♥️
    Maddie
  • VeggiGirl75
    Ok I really wanted not to put the whole bag of trail mix I ate late last night on my diary. But since I wrote that I was going to be completely honest with my log ins . It’s on there . I did put it on today’s so that I would eat less today to make up for my late night binge. Glad to have some accountability here .

Last time I did mfp I kept feeling shamed going over so I was always leaving things out or just writing my Max calories in or some other thing . Trying to break that cycle.
  • themedalist
    Ok I really wanted not to put the whole bag of trail mix I ate late last night on my diary. But since I wrote that I was going to be completely honest with my log ins . It’s on there . I did put it on today’s so that I would eat less today to make up for my late night binge. Glad to have some accountability here .

Last time I did mfp I kept feeling shamed going over so I was always leaving things out or just writing my Max calories in or some other thing . Trying to break that cycle.

Well done logging accurately, @VeggieGirl75. It isn't easy to do. Years ago on MFP I ran across this quote: "Your body keeps an accurate record of what you eat, regardless of what you write down." How true!
  • themedalist
    @PackerFanInGB, I'm thinking about and praying for you as well. And looking forward to your next post, "I'm back and I'm fine!"
  • 77tes
    @VeggiGirl75 , good going. The point of journaling is recording what you've eaten, so honesty is always the best policy. When I first joined MFP, I kept my diary private because I didn’t want people judging and commenting on what I ate, but after a while I realized that accountability was really helpful, and my MFP peeps were always kind and supportive.

@PackerFanInGB , you are still in my prayers.

Last week was another good one. Prelogging is getting easier to remember, and I only exceeded my fat goal 1 day. I’m looking at finishing May strong!
  • PackerFanInGB
    I went back to work today. My head is still aching but it's a bit more tolerable now that I've been taking a medication to help me sleep harder. I think it actually helps the brain rest, if that makes sense? I had a tough time making it through looking at computer all day under those bright lights, but it went pretty good all things considered. I see a Neuro doc on Thursday and I go next week for a brain MRI. Kind of scary but it's all going to be fine. Deal with whatever we have to, but need to find out just what that is first!

I did journal my food today but that's about all I did for goals. Well, I did also get up without hitting Snooze for like the first time in my entire life... so that was good. :wink:

Just wanted to hop on and say I miss you all and it's so good to see your posts! :heart:
  • themedalist
    I went back to work today. My head is still aching but it's a bit more tolerable now that I've been taking a medication to help me sleep harder. I think it actually helps the brain rest, if that makes sense? I had a tough time making it through looking at computer all day under those bright lights, but it went pretty good all things considered. I see a Neuro doc on Thursday and I go next week for a brain MRI. Kind of scary but it's all going to be fine. Deal with whatever we have to, but need to find out just what that is first!

I did journal my food today but that's about all I did for goals. Well, I did also get up without hitting Snooze for like the first time in my entire life... so that was good. :wink:

Just wanted to hop on and say I miss you all and it's so good to see your posts! :heart:

@PackerFanInGB,you made my day! Thank you for updating us on how you are doing. We care and lots of prayers and well wishes are winging their way to Wisconsin from all over the US and likely Canada and Europe too! I’m glad you have the appointments scheduled. They will get to the bottom of this and then you will be on the road to recovery!

Many, many hugs!

Love,

Denise

• 77tes

@PackerFanInGB , it’s so good to hear you are well enough to go back to work although it sounds like it was a tough day. Take care. Glad you’re getting sleep.