Looking for some support!

Options
IamProudofMe
IamProudofMe Posts: 37 Member
Hello! I just joined this group and I am hoping for some support from everyone (and I promise I support back!). I'm 59 years old and this is not my first time losing weight. I'm probably 30 pounds overweight and I am trying not to get hung up on numbers - it's more about feeling good physically and emotionally. I lost 35 pounds about 7 years ago using My Fitness Pal, gym visits, and a Fitbit and looked and felt great. Then a serious of emotional incidents (husbands death, fathers death, a relocation move alone 500 miles away, new job....) caused me to give into emotional eating and gain it all back. I LOVE to cook but now I'm cooking still for more than one person and eating it all (I hear my late Mom telling me to clean my plate!). I don't eat junk food or fast food, I stay away from gluten by choice - I probably just eat too much. Oh then there's wine! The little devil on my shoulder tells me I deserve it after all I have been through. As for exercise - never was a big fan so trying to find things I like to do. Currently it is a 2 mile walk a day with my dog, dancing like a nut in my living room (I like the Body Groove videos) and DDP Yoga.

But what I struggle with is consistency and accountability. Being alone, I have no pals I am accountable to (obviously I lie well to myself and that's not working!). I have tried people and groups locally but I have not found a group that has the same goals and interest - so nice people of OVER 50 GROUP.....here I am!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You've come to the right place. This group is very supportive for all of us on this journey. I'll send a friend request.

There's another place that might also be good for support and accountability. A few of us in this group are participating in a very supportive group that adds little challenges. It's called Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off! 2019. Not everyone is trying to lose that much, or any at all.

I believe you can fit wine into your plan. It's not always easy, but it can be done.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Thank you; I asked to join that group!
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I believe you can fit wine into your plan. It's not always easy, but it can be done.

I believe that too - although you've got to adjust whatever else you are eating and drinking to make allowances for wine.
    Hello! I just joined this group and I am hoping for some support from everyone (and I promise I support back!).

WELCOME!!!

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,971 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Hello! I just joined this group and I am hoping for some support from everyone (and I promise I support back!). I'm 59 years old and this is not my first time losing weight. I'm probably 30 pounds overweight and I am trying not to get hung up on numbers - it's more about feeling good physically and emotionally. I lost 35 pounds about 7 years ago using My Fitness Pal, gym visits, and a Fitbit and looked and felt great. Then a serious of emotional incidents (husbands death, fathers death, a relocation move alone 500 miles away, new job....) caused me to give into emotional eating and gain it all back.
    I'm so sorry you went through all that! I had a couple of years like that, some years back in my 40s: lost father-in-law, husband, mother-in-law, father, and was diagnosed with breast cancer. (I'm now 63, so it's getting smaller in my rear-view mirror, but I kinda remember how challenging it all was at the time).
    I LOVE to cook but now I'm cooking still for more than one person and eating it all (I hear my late Mom telling me to clean my plate!). I don't eat junk food or fast food, I stay away from gluten by choice - I probably just eat too much. Oh then there's wine! The little devil on my shoulder tells me I deserve it after all I have been through. As for exercise - never was a big fan so trying to find things I like to do. Currently it is a 2 mile walk a day with my dog, dancing like a nut in my living room (I like the Body Groove videos) and DDP Yoga.
    It does take a while to adapt to cooking for one, and I over-shopped for a long time, too! It took time to figure out that I couldn't use up the 2-qt giant warehouse store bottle of salsa all by myself fast enough. ;) For a while, I relied heavily on very simple things like frozen meals: Though I like to cook, for a while I missed cooking for an appreciate audience and couldn't get motivated.

Now, since having joined MFP to lose weight and eat more healthfully, I've rediscovered cooking, and have felt like the $$ savings from eating less have made some budgetary room for eating a little more selectively (like the really good cheese sometimes ;) ) , and given me more motivation to try out new veggies and fruits. Some of those new experiments have been super yummy!

I've also figured out a few things that it's OK to cook more of, and stick in the freezer for a busy or lazy day.

I hear you about the wine, and I did cut way back during weight loss. Now, in maintenance, I have a little more wiggle room, and some of that goes now and then toward craft beer at the brew pubs that have been blossoming around here lately - trying to keep it reasonable, though. :)
    But what I struggle with is consistency and accountability. Being alone, I have no pals I am accountable to (obviously I lie well to myself and that's not working!). I have tried people and groups locally but I have not found a group that has the same goals and interest - so nice people of OVER 50 GROUP.....here I am!

I'm a widowed, orphaned, childless only child, so I understand what you're saying. I do have some good friends (I row, and am on a breast cancer survivors team as well as in a local rowing club, so many of my friends are from there or the Y; but also some from an arts & crafts group, a couple from my favorite brewpub, and I'm making new friends through an "elder orphan" group locally for people like me without family).

In some ways, I think living alone made it easier to remodel my eating and become more active, with no one else's preferences or schedules to work around. It does take some time to make lemonade from the initial living-alone lemons, though. But now I read some of the threads from people having drama with their partner's snacking or love-offerings of milkshakes, or whatever, and think maybe being single has some pluses, for weight management.

Wishing you much success here, and all the best in general!

Ann
  • waukenabogirl
    waukenabogirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good diet friendly recipe sites - skinny taste, pound dropper, etc. maybe choose one new recipe a week and divide into single servings. Freeze the extras and soon you will have a good supply in your freezer. Tell us about your favorites.