Does insulin resistance cause fibromyalgia?

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190507145523.htm

A newly confirmed link with insulin resistance may radically change the way fibromyalgia and related forms of chronic pain are identified and managed

I think many of us would say: no surprise!

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Did you read the vibrational spectroscopy article (blood test for FM, Lupus, RA to differentiate between these conditions) jbc.org/content/early/2018/12/06/jbc.RA118.005816.abstract Journal of Biological Chemistry Unfortunately the test costs approx $2000 and the two companies that do it have either funded the research/been involved in the study or did their own research on their own test and won't let doctors take a look at the methods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Verrrry interesting. I'd like to see more studies on this. Gluten Free & LC certainly work to help my FM since it also helps my Celiac disease. All these stupid autoimmune issues are linked anyhow, I just wonder sometimes what is the defining factor?

I agree, we probably don't know the actual reason/mechanism, yet.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190507145523.htm

A newly confirmed link with insulin resistance may radically change the way fibromyalgia and related forms of chronic pain are identified and managed

I think many of us would say: no surprise!

Very interesting! I hope this diet helps. I have severe joint pain, frozen shoulder three years now, hip pain, new tennis elbow, rheumatoid arthritis. It would be so great if sone of this pain could go away due to my diet!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, since I was 25, and very swollen joints if I dont eat Keto. Wheat, even in smaller amounts, seem to make my swelling so much worse then higher carbs in general.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, since I was 25, and very swollen joints if I dont eat Keto. Wheat, even in smaller amounts, seem to make my swelling so much worse then higher carbs in general.

I've noticed a huge reduction in my symptoms since I've changed my eating habits. Wheat, flour, sugar, corn, potatoes, anything of the such triggers my body within a few hours to the next day. Swollen red joints, red autoimmune face rash, etc.

The one high carb thing that doesn't seem to trigger anything for me that I've noticed is rice. I've eaten small amounts a few times and haven't had any adverse reactions. I haven't gorged myself on it but I have had small portions of both jasmine and basmati rice a handful of times with no negative effects.

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We have a low carb casserole dish we make with a little bit of wild rice and you are right, i havent noticed any problems with that. Wheat is the worst, even just a couple tablespoons or like those low carb tortillas are horrible for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    We have a low carb casserole dish we make with a little bit of wild rice and you are right, i havent noticed any problems with that. Wheat is the worst, even just a couple tablespoons or like those low carb tortillas are horrible for me.

Interesting to know about the low carb tortillas. I'll tell me sister to watch for that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to me too.

I have weirdly severe arthritis for my age that doctors claim is just osteo in spite of the fact that I have some autoimmune problems. When I eat carbs I have a LOT more arthritis pain. I can't hide my limp. When I avoid almost all carbs (or all carbs) the pain is much less.

I have carbs and complain I need a hip replacement and then when I am carb free I feel like I can put it off for some time, then I seem to forget, eat some carbs and.... LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It makes sense to me too.

I have weirdly severe arthritis for my age that doctors claim is just osteo in spite of the fact that I have some autoimmune problems. When I eat carbs I have a LOT more arthritis pain. I can't hide my limp. When I avoid almost all carbs (or all carbs) the pain is much less.

I have carbs and complain I need a hip replacement and then when I am carb free I feel like I can put it off for some time, then I seem to forget, eat some carbs and.... LOL

Funny how humans are.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Went off the rails a bit over the weekend due to my daughter's graduation (I know...no excuse....LOL) and I definitely could tell the pain in my joints was back and I hadn't noticed until then that it had been gone.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That is interesting.
    And related to the joint stuff, I have MS but not sure about any other autoimmune issues. I'd started having joint pain/aching more frequently a few years ago and that improved dramatically when I started eating keto. LCHF generally seems to keep it at bay pretty well.

And I had no idea wild rice wasn't really rice. Interesting!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @macchiatto you may find this article of interest.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6163724/

The Gut Microbiome in Multiple Sclerosis: A Potential Therapeutic Avenue