WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Terytha wrote: »
    Does anyone know a cure for nervous butterflies? My stomach is in knots. I can't even address the root of the problem because I'm not really sure what it is. The only new in my life is the puppy but why would I be nervous about my puppy? I love her.

Have you had a puppy before? Are you perhaps nervous about taking good care of her and being a great pet-parent, or something like that?

I don't have an answer for you, I'm afraid - what works seems to be different for everyone. Perhaps make yourself a warm drink and try to relax and enjoy it for a few minutes? If you like to read or listen to music, you could try that (if puppy lets you!), or maybe take her out for a little walk and some "fresh" air if it's not too bad up there today. Or write in a journal... just let everything pour out (no one else needs to read it) and see if that helps to clear your mind and ease your nerves.

(In the past I have written down, in strong language, things that were seriously irritating me and then burned the paper - it was very cathartic and those particular things have never bothered me again, but I risked setting the kitchen on fire so be very careful if you do something like that!)

EDIT: Could it be the fires? Either worrying about how far they'll spread, or breathing difficulties affecting your nerves?

I actually think it's my cat. He's so unhappy about the puppy. He doesn't purr or cuddle anymore.

I'm worried I'm a failure at raising these animals. I can't even get the puppy to listen to her name and my cat hates me.

I'm just really scared that I spent a ton of money to just ruin our lives.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Does anyone know a cure for nervous butterflies? My stomach is in knots. I can't even address the root of the problem because I'm not really sure what it is. The only new in my life is the puppy but why would I be nervous about my puppy? I love her.

Have you had a puppy before? Are you perhaps nervous about taking good care of her and being a great pet-parent, or something like that?

I don't have an answer for you, I'm afraid - what works seems to be different for everyone. Perhaps make yourself a warm drink and try to relax and enjoy it for a few minutes? If you like to read or listen to music, you could try that (if puppy lets you!), or maybe take her out for a little walk and some "fresh" air if it's not too bad up there today. Or write in a journal... just let everything pour out (no one else needs to read it) and see if that helps to clear your mind and ease your nerves.

(In the past I have written down, in strong language, things that were seriously irritating me and then burned the paper - it was very cathartic and those particular things have never bothered me again, but I risked setting the kitchen on fire so be very careful if you do something like that!)

EDIT: Could it be the fires? Either worrying about how far they'll spread, or breathing difficulties affecting your nerves?

I actually think it's my cat. He's so unhappy about the puppy. He doesn't purr or cuddle anymore.

I'm worried I'm a failure at raising these animals. I can't even get the puppy to listen to her name and my cat hates me.

Consistency from you - they have to establish a new pecking order. And puppies just want food and attention, every single blasted day. So relax and take a walk with her. Then feed the cat while the puppy is sleeping. And tell them both in strong terms that they are happy campers and that's that.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »

Consistency from you - they have to establish a new pecking order. And puppies just want food and attention, every single blasted day. So relax and take a walk with her. Then feed the cat while the puppy is sleeping. And tell them both in strong terms that they are happy campers and that's that.

Yeah... I've read the same thing, that dogs especially need to know where they stand in the family hierarchy and you need to be consistent with this. I've read that people with cats will make sure to make a fuss of the cats first, when they come home from work or whatever, and completely ignore the dog until the cats have been properly greeted (even if the dog is going nuts and wanting food or attention, which must be difficult to ignore!). That way, the dog knows that the cats are important in the family and shouldn't try to bother them. Plus the cats get attention too! :) (Edit: Make sure other humans are greeted before the dog, too.)

In my experience, cats aren't big fans of change (ours get upset for a while if we just move a piece of furniture). It's going to take yours a bit of time to get used to having the puppy around! Try to make sure he has safe places he can take refuge, preferably somewhere higher up that the puppy can't reach. And try to take some time each day to play and cuddle with him somewhere the puppy can't distract either of you, and perhaps offer some treats. I'm sure he'll come around, even if he doesn't really want to play at first, but he's probably grumpy about having the peace of his home disturbed by this young upstart!

(And the puppy will learn her name in time - again it'll just take patience. Maybe consider a few obedience lessons to help out too?)
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @Terytha You've gotten lots of good advice here. Cats usually will let you know when they are peeved. I'd be thankful she isn't peeing or pooping somewhere to show just how upset she is. My friend has that problem with hers. Her cat definitely runs the house. Our cat gives us the cold shoulder when we come back from vacations. It usually takes a couple of days for him to come around. Getting snubbed by him would upset my daughter when she was younger.

We had two cats when I our first daughter was born. One was great about it. The other... not so much. Normally she wouldn't go outside for long, but after the baby arrived she wouldn't come in the house for more than a minute for months. She pretty much stayed under our back porch most of the time. And she stopped leaving us "presents" that she caught. It wasn't until winter weather set in that she finally came in. After that winter she never spent much time outside again. By the time DD was three or four she was sleeping on her bed.
    Try not to worry too much. Your cat will come around. I would look into getting a high perch if you don't have one yet. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's high school graduation week here. I'm glad I could post a loss Monday. I'm going to have to be strong this week and try not to cave in with all the festivities going on. It started last night with Senior scholarship and awards night. We let my daughter pick where we went for dinner... Buffalo Wild Wings. Eww. I had the opportunity to look online and figure out what I could afford to eat ahead of time. It will be harder with cookouts and graduation this weekend. Hopefully I can get in some extra workouts to give me a little wiggle room.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    zlauerMom wrote: »
    @Terytha You've gotten lots of good advice here. Cats usually will let you know when they are peeved. I'd be thankful she isn't peeing or pooping somewhere to show just how upset she is. My friend has that problem with hers. Her cat definitely runs the house. Our cat gives us the cold shoulder when we come back from vacations. It usually takes a couple of days for him to come around. Getting snubbed by him would upset my daughter when she was younger.

We had two cats when I our first daughter was born. One was great about it. The other... not so much. Normally she wouldn't go outside for long, but after the baby arrived she wouldn't come in the house for more than a minute for months. She pretty much stayed under our back porch most of the time. And she stopped leaving us "presents" that she caught. It wasn't until winter weather set in that she finally came in. After that winter she never spent much time outside again. By the time DD was three or four she was sleeping on her bed.
    Try not to worry too much. Your cat will come around. I would look into getting a high perch if you don't have one yet. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

My cat is special needs. Rough kitten-hood. He can't jump or climb very well. I'm trying to give him space but boy it's not easy.

I'm getting maybe three hours of sleep at night if I'm lucky and I'm exhausted and over emotional. I'll feel better when my husband is back from his trip probably.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options

"post a daily motivational quote / poster / meme / pic etc"

Lots of great stuff already posted here! Check it out, save and print anything meaningful to you, and post something yourself! It could be just what someone else needs to see / read.

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    Steps 6/4 10,195
  • BMcC9
    Options
    "Perfection" is unrealistic to the point of being an illusion. Life will always be throwing you curve balls, and you need to be resilient enough to respond to changing circumstances.

Soooo .... Pick a point between "acceptable" and "optimal" .... that's your target zone.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,214 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your messages - I am having an amazing visit with my mother and sister, discussing aging and the future, as well as just having a great time. Tomorrow I'll be on the "road" (airways?) all day, and home Thursday. Your support means a lot.

@Terytha - I am SO glad you are finding this difficult. Read that sentence again. You feel like you have made a bad decision, and things are not as happy puppy arrival as you thought it would be. The feelings of anxiety mean that you are doing something NEW, and you are not sure about things. You are learning new things, and it is scary. So be there for yourself, your difficult cat, and your lovely puppy without thinking about how it is all going to come out in the end. Just be there - it is so much fun, in all its imperfections. It won't all feel great. But that's fine. Breathe. You will be the solid one they need. And they will be yours, sometimes. It will get better.

@zlauerMom - grad week! It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of preparing for the food and exercise bits so that you will be able to enjoy the human parts. What a great transition into the next things they are making. They'll be scared too! Enjoy the crazy energy. You've got this!

Thanks for your messages, @cory17 and @SueSueDio - patience and consistency. Things we can all take on board to GREAT effect.
  • jugar
    Options
    HEADS UP! Wednesday is tomorrow. Weigh-ins are due from:
    @Fourathomej
    @karenesg
    @offitgoes
    @SueSueDio

Tally Ho! send 'em in. Thanks!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    My cat is special needs. Rough kitten-hood. He can't jump or climb very well. I'm trying to give him space but boy it's not easy.

I'm getting maybe three hours of sleep at night if I'm lucky and I'm exhausted and over emotional. I'll feel better when my husband is back from his trip probably.

Ah - that will probably help too, if you're trying to deal with a new puppy and upset kitty all by yourself!

Can you perhaps find a type of cat tree/perch that has steps or a ladder too steep for the puppy but that the cat can still manage to climb? That might give him a bit of the space he needs. Also, maybe putting the puppy outside or in another room/basement/whatever for an hour or two might help, if it's safe for the pup.

Hang in there! It will get better.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    @jugar so sorry for your loss of your Mother-in-law. Thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. Safe travels for you tomorrow!
  • jugar
    Options
    Yoo hooo --- @tdrjustus3 - a weigh-in for today???
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,273 Member
    Options
    STEPS:
    5/1 - 23133
    5/2 - 15147
    5/3 - 12862
  • martinesther88
    martinesther88 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Could i be taken off the step team please.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    u86pd3tnkaki.jpg
  • micki48
    Options
    6/4 Steps 10,437

Normally Saturday weigh in but going to do it today since I’m leaving on a short vacation and won’t have a scale.

PW 199.7
    CW 199.1
  • micki48
    Options
    micki48 wrote: »
    Steps 6/4 10,195

These steps are actually for 6/3.

This discussion has been closed.