Lo-Cal vs Lo-Carb (keto): learnings

Options
LRLemon
LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
This is my personal experience—that is to say, my response to 1 year on lo-cal (in 2014) and 1 year on keto (2018-2019). The simple story: I lost weight on both diets, but the lo-cal (calories-in-calories-out) diet was not sustainable: the carbs kept my appetite on a rollercoaster so I had to rely on will power alone to sustain the weight loss. I regained the weight over the next couple of years. On the keto diet (≤25g total carbs/day), not only have I lost 20 lbs more in the same time frame, but I've discovered the feeling of satiety (absence of hunger pangs, no more constant thought of food, no more uncomfortable full feelings...which I used to think was satiety), a feeling totally new to me. I used to think that feeling "full" was "satiety." Feeling the way I do now, at peace and not tortured with cravings, I believe the keto diet will be the way I can live for the rest of my life.

Other changes I've noticed on the keto diet:
• A1C: was 5.8 --> is now 5.3 (≤5.6 = normal; 5.6-6.5 = pre-Diabetic; 6.5+ = diabetes)
• Triglycerides: was 189, is now 116
• Blood pressure: was 156/85 (with meds), is now 125/75 (no meds)
• Three spots of psoriasis that were on my hand for a few years have cleared up with no meds

I have a family history of diabetes and I am carb sensitive. In June 2018 I started seeing symptoms that my insulin resistance was increasing and that I was skirting diabetes. So I got very serious about weight loss and started researching the latest scientific research and findings to understand the metabolic system. I knew low-calorie was not workable to address my morbidity.

Below is my weight-loss graph from both diets: brown line = 2014 CICO (calories in calories out); Black line = 2018 keto.
x1i7kpizii7q.png

Replies

• sherryshields
    sherryshields Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are truly inspiring! Thanks for sharing. I have had similar results in my A1C. I love this WOE!
  • LRLemon
    Options
    Hi dawnz75, Thanks for noticing. I did speak from a very personal perspecrive because my system is insulin resistant (prediabetic) so carbs trigger a bigger insulin response in me. Folks who have a healthier, non-prediabetic system most likely can eat more carbs than 25g and maintain normal blood glucose levels.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Nicely documented.
    Congrats on such great success!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!! Like you I've lost on many methods before. I did simple calorie restriction, lost 40 lbs...gained it back. Did calorie restriction again + gluten-free, lost 40 lbs....gained it back...I've lost 40lbs at least 5 times in the last 7 years almost like clockwork (right after the holidays at the end of the year)...

I'm hopeful that going through the holidays in a Keto way will help keep me from straying like I've done so many times in the past. It has been the least stressful way to lose the same damn 40lbs (about 1 lb away) I lost in the past...

Here's to making it stick!!
  • LRLemon
    Options
    Hi craig... Let's see...that comes to losing a total of 200 lbs (40lbs x 5). congrats!!! It's very understandable that you gained the weight back... in my experience, eating carbs just keeps poking the "eat more" button and will power can only last so long. I find that when I do eat carbs (like a piece of birthday cake) it takes a good week to get back to not feeling hunger pangs. It's just not comfortable. But after that week, the cravings stop and I'm back to feeling at peace. Now, when it comes to holidays of special occasions, I do think about the week of uncomfortableness to come and more often than not I decide the momentary pleasure is not worth the price. And the lack of cravings and urges helps make that decision easier. Best of luck on discovering what works best for you!
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    fantastic story and inspiring. Like you and others, I have lost weight previously in a variety of ways only to gain it back (along with a few more too) and this is the only time that I have been able to keep it off, even during periods of stall.
  • LRLemon
    Options
    Hi Projectjust me, Congrats on persisting and finding a diet you can stick to! So far, and it’s now 2 weeks shy of one year, a low carb diet has been much easier for me as well. What I like most is that the crazy cravings and lack of satiation are no longer there. These were some of the main reasons I went off a diet in the past. Added to the physical up side is the physical downside of the harm caused by too much insulin circulating in my system (insulin being the fat-storing hormone). I’m motivated physically and mentally... so I’m pretty confident I have found a workable, long-term way of eating. To be sure, I get my blood labs done every 3 months to be certain things were working well. So far, my lab numbers mimic the results reported by low-carb researchers. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread!!!
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    this is fantastic, great job and thanks for posting. I lost over 120 lbs in 2012 with calorie counting, gained about 100 lbs back over next 7 years before being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I found similar to you that my body just wasn't tolerating carbs and ended up on a Keto lifestyle and now have lost 36 lbs over 3 months and now seeing average blood sugar around 94 mg/dl. Everything you said was just spot-on from my experiences as well.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Amazing results!!

I eat keto due to severe carb sensitivities. But I have to admit, if I didn't have sensitivities, I preferred my clean eating and everything in moderation.

I can't complain, I enjoy the foods I eat now. I just wish a bite of bread, potatoes, or cake didn't make me blow up in pain.
  • amandajoyb
    amandajoyb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is amazing LRLemon! I too am having much better success on LC/Keto. I've done it all: Weight Watchers, Juice Fasting, Protein Power Plan, and the list goes on and on and on... I've found with low carb I've actually lost my appetite so I've added intermittent fasting to the mix. I usually only eat dinner and a small snack with the meds I take at bedtime that need to be taken in the evening with food.

I'm so happy to hear from someone who has put in the time and found it to be sustainable. Gives me hope for keeping it off in the future!

Thank you so much for posting this!

AB