Progress Report

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @MzCara148 I think Dad was so worried because there had been a recent news article about a couple getting attacked on the Appalachian trail this month. But if I had to wait to do anything until I had someone to do something with me, I'd never do anything! I just try to take sensible precautions - stick to a local trail (don't take the ones that go way out into the wilderness), make sure that someone knows where I'm at, what trail I'm on and roughly when I expect to be back, and then, because I was in a no-cell phone area because of a radio telescope nearby, I dug out my little hand radios and made sure they were working and left one with mom.

I liked the hiking because it was so much more varied. I wasn't walking in front of a bunch of people so I didn't have a bunch of people staring at me like when I walk the back streets at home, and the grade varied from level to very steep so I got a real workout in climbing up those steep slopes and coming down the other side! Plus I just like being in the woods. Walking on a walking track or a treadmill or even the backstreets at home is so boring - the same circuit endlessly. It takes all I have (when I still had the gumption, anyway) to get in a 45 minute walk on a track like that; I hiked 3 hours and didn't even think twice about it!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My Starting Over Weight: 499lbs on Mar 14, 2019
    My Final Weight Goal: 150lbs
    The Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: 250lbs (where I left off in 2015 on my first weight loss journey here before my AFIB and heart meds side effects kicked in and derailed me)
    My Current Weight: 426lbs
    My Loss This Week: 3lbs
    My Total Loss: 73lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work:
    I've increased my protein intake every day making sure that I choose foods lower in fat and carbs to go with. I'm also striving to have 3 meals a day which has always been out of my norm. I was counseled that eating only 2 meals or less daily merely confused my body into thinking I was starving. This actually kept me from losing. Now with routine mealtimes to count on, I'm seeing some major loss for me finally. I'm excited!
    While I have been trying to move around more lately, too, despite my bone pains...I feel I need to push it a little more. I did improve from under 200 steps a day (only inside my home) to now over 1000 steps in home and in yard and driveway. It's a good step forward for me, but I'm anxious to see it get back to 10,000 steps daily. Painfully slow going process here, but I want it bad!!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    WOOHOO!! Just had another great loss which surprises the WHOOPS out of me!!! Now a total of 77lbs down since Mar 14th...that's 11 weeks!! Can't believe this is now my life instead of where I was before my pacemaker surgery and my life with PERSISTENT AFIB had a choke hold on me while I was weighing in at 499lbs. Today I'm 422.4lbs and it hopefully won't be too much longer before I'm saying goodbye 400's and hello 300's!! I'm motivated and super excited about life again :)<3
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow BetJo64 - that’s amazing!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Not my typical update this time around, because I'm retaining fluid this weekend pretty badly - yesterday, I wore a ring that is normally extremely loose, but yesterday it fit fine, so there's my proof on the water retention, which did help a little in dealing with the devastation the scale triggered at first!

I'm trying something this week. I know that I've been derailed for quite a while and can't seem to get myself to stay under my calorie limit. Back when I started this round in 2017, I had read a book on the 8 week blood sugar diet, where the writer claimed that eating 800 calories a day for 8 weeks would help an obese person get blood under control, lose weight, yadayadayada. I thought I'd give it a try as it wasn't long term (I figured short term couldn't hurt, right?) I quickly found in just a few days that I couldn't sustain 800 calories a day; my energy levels plummeted and I found myself getting the shakes, so I slowly raised my calorie limit up until I found MFP, figured out that at 375 lbs, my maintenance was around 2800 calories at that weight, and upped my deficit to 1800 and proceeded to lose 100+ lbs.

Unfortunately, I lost my momentum by the end of the year, plateaued, and have been struggling to maintain for the last 18 months and have slowly regained 30 lbs of what I lost, which is frustrating to the extreme. I can't seem to get back into the successful pattern I had at first, and can't figure out why.

Thinking back on how I started the successful period, I noticed there was one benefit from the couple days of fasting experiment: my hunger levels dropped. I've noticed this before when I've fasted during the day (such as having to wait for fasting bloodwork in the evening instead of getting it done first thing of a morning). The problem, of course, is making myself stick to an all day fast, especially around 10 am when the hunger gets really strong. I know that if I can will myself through that period, that hunger will drop off as evening approaches, but my will power has been pretty dead lately, so other attempts at fasting have stalled. For instance: I'd determine I was going to fast, but would quickly start compromising with myself, allowing myself to have something around lunchtime, a snack, or give in and eat a dinner, and before I knew it, I'd eaten well over 1500 calories that day and blown the fast.

So I've determined that today, I'm going to fast from get up to bed time and have no more than 100 calories today (and that's because I can't stand straight black coffee and need my unsweetened almond milk). Of course, when I determined to do this yesterday, the desire to compromise started, but so far, I've held firm to it and seem to have slightly more will power to stick to it today (we'll see if that lasts as the day progresses). Tomorrow, I think I'll introduce maybe one meal, or perhaps a small breakfast and a dinner, and skip lunch. I'll try to keep this pattern up this week, slowly working my way back up to 1500 calories, and see if this little experiment will help me get my hunger under control. Because I have noticed that after eating at a lower limit for a while, my body gets used to that and I find that the amount I used to eat to be too much. I think that's why the short periods of fasting may work.

Course this weekend is going to be a challenge as I'm going camping, but hopefully, if I can get my hunger back under control by Friday, I won't be as tempted by the food as I was during the cabin trip, and the extra calories burned by all the walking I'll do won't get eaten up (literally) by extra hunger drive afterwards, so hopefully, I won't lose the benefit of the extra activity.

Anyway, I'm at wits end and since everything else I've tried to get myself back on track have failed, including the medication route from my doctor, I'm going to see if I can't get this to work. Wish me luck!
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I hope you learn whatever it is you need to with this experience. That would be super hard for me - it would give me the shakes something fierce, but I hope it either works the way you hope or helps you figure something else out. If you don’t mind my asking - do you normally set your own limits or do you go with the MFP ones?
  • MzCara148
    Options
    Starting Weight: 321 in 2018
    Goal weight: 161
    Current Weight: 309.4
    Next Major Goal: 271 (where I fell off the wagon last year.

I am 3 weeks into my reboot. I am finally starting to get past the point where I am starving all the times, the blood sugar crashes where I get the shakes and break out in a sweat are passing - so that’s all good. I am working a Noom program at the same time I am logging here, so fire away if you have questions.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel for the whole month of July with the hubs and my chicklets. We are driving from the East Coast to San Francisco and back again. So I have no clue how I am going to make that work. But I have got to try. So here I am, giving it another go.

• bmeadows380
    Options
    MzCara148 wrote: »
    @bmeadows380 I hope you learn whatever it is you need to with this experience. That would be super hard for me - it would give me the shakes something fierce, but I hope it either works the way you hope or helps you figure something else out. If you don’t mind my asking - do you normally set your own limits or do you go with the MFP ones?

@MzCara148 Thankfully, I don't have sugar issues, so it doesn't give me the shakes, but I know several folks in my own family that would never be able to handle an all day fast like that, either. What gets me is the will power issue in overcoming temptation and that mental drive to eat. I caught myself yesterday mindlessly starting to reach for something when it wasn't even my stomach that was complaining that it was hungry! I know that so much of my snacking and drive to eat is all mental; its not a true physical hunger, but a very powerful urge in my brain to eat, and that's very hard to fight!

But I succeeded, I think - I didn't eat any solid food, and had less than 200 calories in liquids. I did allow myself a half cut tea from Arby's yesterday afternoon, and that helped the mental battle for several hours. Of course I wasn't trying to reach a certain physical state with my fasting, so I think I can count it as a success!

I know that being at the weight I am, doing several day fasts long term probably isn't a very healthy idea, so I broke it this morning with an egg and a piece of toast with a little butter, plus my coffee with almond milk and cashew milk. I'm going to try to hold myself to nothing but a yogurt for lunch, and see if I can keep myself to a couple of servings of vegetables and an air fried chicken thigh for dinner.

My biggest problem is the willpower issue - I can intend to start something and try and try and try and fail every time because I can't win the battle with my willpower. But sometimes, for no reason i can ever discern, the willpower suddenly snaps into place and I am able to accomplish what I wanted to do - such as the all day fast yesterday. I've tried off and on all spring to do some fasting, but every single time I'd cave to the mental pressure that said "come on, you don't need to not any anything; just keep it under 500 calories". The problem is, I never stayed under 500 calories. But for some reason yesterday worked. And the water weigh gain was down by 6 lbs this morning!

Imagine what I could get done if I could figure out what flips that willpower switch on and off in my mind! lol

And in answer to your question, I go to a couple of different sites and input my stats to find my calorie limits as MFP seems to want to set it a little higher for me than I think is accurate. I look at them all and kind of average them to get the value I put in. I tend to ignore the macro nutrient ratios; I'm not ketoing or low carbing, and I just want to focus on getting healthy foods in and hit the calorie limit more than trying to get a certain macro nutrient balance. I have enough trouble just sticking to the calorie limit without adding another factor to track!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    MzCara148 wrote: »
    Starting Weight: 321 in 2018
    Goal weight: 161
    Current Weight: 309.4
    Next Major Goal: 271 (where I fell off the wagon last year.

I am 3 weeks into my reboot. I am finally starting to get past the point where I am starving all the times, the blood sugar crashes where I get the shakes and break out in a sweat are passing - so that’s all good. I am working a Noom program at the same time I am logging here, so fire away if you have questions.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel for the whole month of July with the hubs and my chicklets. We are driving from the East Coast to San Francisco and back again. So I have no clue how I am going to make that work. But I have got to try. So here I am, giving it another go.

Travel is a killer! I gained 5 lbs in May because of being out of town so much and in an area where there weren't many healthy options to be had. But keep trying! and be forgiving of yourself; even if a day isn't completely perfect, look for the little victory points along the way; that goes a long way to keep yourself going and not giving up!
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I totally get the willpower thing. I am right there with you. For me I do great for a long time but when I loosen the reins a bit - don’t log for a vacation or whatever- I can never get it back.

Hopefully we will both figure it out soon.
  • BettJo64
    Options
    My Starting Over Weight: 499lbs on Mar 14, 2019
    My Final Weight Goal: 150lbs
    The Milestone I'm Most Looking Forward To Reaching: I can't wait until I can fit comfortably in my car's driver seat once again. My hips have been so large for so long that I'm squished, uncomfortable, bruised, and sore when I try to fit between the console and driver's door. Hubby has been having to drive me around for a few years now. Hope that soon I will be able to drive myself once again!
    My Current Weight: 422lbs
    My Total Loss So Far: 77lbs

It's been a hard few weeks as far as loss for me. Just when I see the scale drop a few...the next day it's back up a few and more. And I'm doing so well with my foods and walking within my abilities at this time. I feel great about everything else...but this mind game with my scale can STOP any time now!!!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~375 lbs (01/01/2017)
    My goal: 220 lbs (This would put me in the obesity stage 1 category)
    Milestone: 260 lbs (this would put me below the 40 BMI mark for being morbidly obese or stage 3 obese)
    Current Weight: 290.7 lbs 6/13/19
    Loss this Week: -5.0 lbs
    Total loss: -84.3 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work:Well, I finally got myself to drop the water weight! Monday, the scale was reading 299.5 lbs, which I knew was water weight because of how a particular ring was fitting on Sunday, as I mentioned before. So I went on an all day fast from food on Monday, taking in less than 200 calories in my drinks that day. After that all day fast, my weight did begin to drop very quickly and has done so all week, which means I'm finally letting go of the excess water - right in time for a camping trip this weekend :s

Anyway, despite knowing it was mostly water loss, it was a relief to see that number on my scale this morning! I have managed so far to stay under my calorie limit all week with no cheating, too, so perhaps something can be said for taking a day a week and doing an all day fast! For me, anyways.

So as I said: this weekend I'm going camping with the folks for Father's Day, so I know I'm not going to be able to count calories and won't be staying with my calorie limit because of camp food. However, I know my activity will be up because I plan to hike and take my bike, so hopefully I can mitigate the damage. I'm already bracing myself because I know that will mean water weight will be returned on Tuesday morning and my weight will be up again, but I plan to do another all day fast on Tuesday after the vacation and see if that can keep me doing the pattern I'm on today.

I'm taking my cousin to see a play at the local theatre next weekend for her birthday and promised to take her out, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to skip lunch and breakfast that day and keep as many of my calories as I can until evening to mitigate what I know is going to be a calorie laden dinner. But that's next weekend, and I've got to get through this one first!

• MzCara148
    Options
    @BettJo64 That’s so very normal. A couple of pounds swing every day is to be expected as much as it sucks to see. That’s mostly fluid.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I’m so glad things seem to be going in the right direction for you!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    BettJo64 wrote: »

It's been a hard few weeks as far as loss for me. Just when I see the scale drop a few...the next day it's back up a few and more. And I'm doing so well with my foods and walking within my abilities at this time. I feel great about everything else...but this mind game with my scale can STOP any time now!!!

@MzCara148 is right - water weight is a bear and can sometimes be to the tune of 6 to 8 lbs. It can be so disheartening when you think you're doing everything right and your body's retention of water masks your success. But hang in there - keep an eye on the over all trend; you're doing fantastic!
  • BettJo64
    Options
    @MzCara148 and @bmeadows380 Thank you, ladies, so much for understanding and quieting down my frustrations. I hope to see that scale move down soon though. I need even the tiniest loss just to boost my spirit again.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    @MzCara148 and @bmeadows380 Thank you, ladies, so much for understanding and quieting down my frustrations. I hope to see that scale move down soon though. I need even the tiniest loss just to boost my spirit again.

@BettJo64 Oh honey, I know the frustration all too well - just go back and read some of my epic whiny posts and you'll see why I call myself the resident Eeyore lol
  • BettJo64
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I was rolling along, losing 1-3 pounds every few days, and then NOTHING for days and days now. Eating the same as I was and even upped my walking a little since then. Moving around the house and garden more, so I thought I would get even more loss. But NOOooooo! Nothing. Nada. Zip. Don't really know what to do. So I'll trust that it will shift back in my favor soon.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @BettJo64 I do that whenever I get more active - spend a day working in the house or outside, and the next few days will see a jump in the scales, not a loss, even though I keep to the calorie deficit. I guess its water retention, perhaps due to pushing my muscles to work more than they are used to?
  • BettJo64
    Options
    @bmeadows380 Someone told me that because I'm eating more protein in my healthy eating plan, that my muscles may be getting bigger thus causing my scale to go up a little. I don't know enough about that to believe it or not.