Keto and Long Airplane Ride

Jessimom2
Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
Thought I’d ask here. I’m taking an international flight in a few days. So I will have to eat on the plane. I looked at options for Delta. They have a Diabetic and Gluten free option. But reviews online of both for Keto say both (even diabetic) really high on carbs. Should I just try regular meal? Bring almonds? And Lilly’s chocolate if I can’t eat anything else... Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    See if they have a vegetarian option...and if not, then they probably have a salad of some sort in the "regular" options.

I haven't flown international in a while, but the last few times I did there was always some kind of salad or veggie bowl.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I think you just stated in another thread you just started intermittent fasting. Might the long flight work well with that? Make it your fasting window.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I don't know, the last time I flew international it was a 36 hour day with multiple flights, one of which was 13 hours...that's kind of long for fasting...and I'm always hungrier when stressed and sleep deprived.

I don't know what the TSA rules are for international flights, but maybe a beef stick pre-sliced and a pack of the cracker cut cheddar cheese would go a long way to getting you through the trip.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I did just fly internationally in April. Both meal options were loaded with carbs. I recommend getting you something you would prefer from one of the airport restaurants and taking it with you. That way you can control your intake. I would still get the meal during the flight and eat what you want from it too.

My flight was 13 hours, and I got a double cheeseburger (then trashed the bun) that I ate within a couple of hours. Then ate what I preferred from their offered meal and let my husband eat what I had leftover.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I usually opt for the GF options and pick through.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Thank you! I kept reading the special meals were hit or miss on crabs and tasting okay. I was debating about just buying food before the flight. I guess I will, just seems like such a waste. I am on an IF regimen right now and very happy with it. The plane leaves right when I normally eat one of my two meals and I don’t want to travel completely fasted. I know myself well enough from a couple 24 hour fasts I’ve done that I’m not ready for that with travel. Once I get to my destination I have a 6 hour train ride too. Tired just thinking about this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Jessimom2 wrote: »
    Thank you! I kept reading the special meals were hit or miss on crabs and tasting okay. I was debating about just buying food before the flight. I guess I will, just seems like such a waste. I am on an IF regimen right now and very happy with it. The plane leaves right when I normally eat one of my two meals and I don’t want to travel completely fasted. I know myself well enough from a couple 24 hour fasts I’ve done that I’m not ready for that with travel. Once I get to my destination I have a 6 hour train ride too. Tired just thinking about this.

Given this: could you find something compliant in the airport and bring it on board with you?
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 276 Member
    It was 24 hours of 2 long frights and waiting time in airport.I packed keto foods with me to eat in the airport and on the plane. I didn't have time to eat lunch so I packed it to eat at dinner time , steak and salad. I also packed, salami, cut-up veggies , cream cheese , cheddar and almond nuts. I also packed foods that can get through custom like , keto bread and cake, olives ( I declared about my foods and nuts and it was o.k ).Eggs was the only airline food I can eat.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 276 Member
    Keto foods for long waiting times in airports ( not airport ) too.