Regained the Weight I Lost (plus some)

Five years ago I lost 40 pounds and was so proud of myself. But now I've regained it all PLUS 10 pounds. I've always heard maintenance is difficult. So now I'm a new member to MFP and starting over again. I've always loved fruits and vegetables and cooking from scratch. My weakness is alcohol but am currently alcohol-free and feeling healthier already. I'm looking forward to this clean eating journey. Please say hi !

Replies

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP family!!!!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    Howdy!
  • greeneyedlady933
    greeneyedlady933 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi to Twistygirl and Satisfied ! Has MFP worked well for you? Are you trying to lose weight? Please tell me a little about yourselves.
  • ajroseyoung
    ajroseyoung Posts: 4 Member
    Hi! I have the same experience... I used MFP the first time to lose 40lbs and I’m hoping it will work again!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    I use MFP to plan my day and to track the outcome. Calories are not as important as the quality of my food. Then I stick to my plan to the best of my ability.
  • greeneyedlady933
    To ajroseyoung: I used SparkPeople the first time to lose 40 lbs. MFP seems easier to use. We've done it before - we can do it again! Let's keep in touch and cheer each other on.
    To Satisfied: Yes ! Eating healthy is what it's all about. Good Point ! Let's check in every day on this group. Together we can do this !
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Right on! Great choices lead to great results!
  • greeneyedlady933
    My breakfast every morning this week has been plain low-fat yogurt with cut up fresh fruit such as a nectarine, peach, or cantaloupe. I've lost 6 pounds in my first week with MFP ! So happy this is working. What is your usual breakfast?
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Green protein smoothie with MCT oil. 4 cups of kale, chard and spinach, 2 scoops of protein powder, 1 tbsp of cacao powder, 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 1 tbsp of MCT oil, 1 cup water, 25 cubes of ice.
  • greeneyedlady933
    Satisfied: Interesting ! I've never had a green smoothie. Also not familiar with MCT oil. What does that stand for? Can you buy chia seeds in a regular grocery store? Does sound like you take your breakfast seriously. I'm eating lunch while I type this: Homemade tossed garden salad with light ranch dressing. Really enjoying it ! What do you like for lunch?
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    edited June 2019
    I eat a Garden Salad with Chicken & Paleo Poppyseed Dressing 4-5 times a week. It is so good. I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo and 3/4 tsp stevia in the Dressing! The dressing recipe is online. MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides. It’s made from coconut oil. Chia seeds are most everywhere.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    mbciw5oskq6z.jpeg
  • memurph88
    memurph88 Posts: 102 Member
    I lost 40ish lbs in 2014 with WW and I've gained it all back too. Since then I've gotten married, moved across the country and have started a new job. I put eating right and getting out to walk daily on the backburner. I'm just starting up yet again, hoping we can all motivate one another to keep at it!
  • Time to make a commitment to yourself! This journey is 99% mental and 1% Physical.
  • Zhe139
    Zhe139 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm in a similar position. It took me a while to admit it since I was so ashamed of regaining the weight.
  • Perfection and overwhelm are often our worst enemies. It’s ok to fail, as long as you keep failing forward!
  • BigDfromNJ
    BigDfromNJ Posts: 20 Member
    I've discovered as I get older my metabolism changes every 5 years! Now I'm over 55 and I've started putting on gut fat. I've recently read a book 'Younger Next Year for Women" (there's one for men too). It's help me realize that I need to give myself time, don't look for short term fast weight gain, but rather eat clean, exercise, and concentrate on my mental well being. Take one day at a time and see where I am a year from now. Who's with me? :smiley:
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 508 Member
    Help! I'm new to all of this. Need motivation and friends that will help motivate me and get me to make better choices.
  • Trekjohnc
    Trekjohnc Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2019
    :) Hello @greeneyedlady933 and welcome. I also went alcohol free to help reduce weight and improve my overall fitness. I’m enjoying the benefits. I’m at 4 months AF now. I’m cheering you on !!
  • ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Same here. I haven’t weighed this much in 14 years. I was pregnant with first child. Blah I hate feeling like this.