From Keto diet to Vegetarian

Options
So Ive been on a high fat low carb diet for many years... Yes, I have lost weight but never felt good... So I decided to experiment with plant based diet!! I feel really amazing after been on this diet nearly a week!!!

Replies

• tommymaccdub
    tommymaccdub Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating vegetarian diet about 4 years, but I train hard, so can't seem to get enough protein without egg whites or whey protein.spy protein shakes taste horrible
  • MamaBirdJT
    MamaBirdJT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a vegetarian low-carb diet right now. It's possible, but not as a vegan. Lots of cheese and nuts. Lots.
  • jmateer
    jmateer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There's lots of keto vegan options under 50 net carbs!

Hemp heart, chia seed, and flax "over night oats" in coconut milk

Salads with lots of nuts

Vega Sport protein powder

Soy/Seitan/Tempe options etc :)

It might not be the standard bacon and eggs but it's good and nutritionally sound :)
  • scubachick67
    scubachick67 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been eating vegetarian diet about 4 years, but I train hard, so can't seem to get enough protein without egg whites or whey protein.spy protein shakes taste horrible

@anicamarie323 I was veggie for 24 years, pure plant based diet. No eggs or fish. I was never as slim as I wanted to be, as I could only feel full eating large portions of carbs.
    After I had my babies and finished 4 years of breastfeed I started to feel so run down. (Babies were all healthy and big and I had loads of milk)

To ry to combat fatigue, I began taking more and more supplements. My Doc thought I had lost some enzymes to digest b12. So I had injections of b12. I really tried to be healthy and increased training. Like @tommymaccdub, I found it really hard to get enough clean lean veggie protein.

For the last 3 years I have been aimimg towards eating paleo/keto, including meat/fish. I feel fuller for longer on less cals now. My energy is better, as is my skin and sleep. I think lots of greens and some fish/chicken or eggs suits me way better than legumes, dairy and wholemeal products.

Good luck with your diet switch..pop back and let us know how you are doing.
  • mtcampbell1
    mtcampbell1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Keto & vegan are not incompatible.

Vegan + Intermittent fasting = Keto...I'm doing it with a 6 hour eating window.

There are a ton of ways to be vegan and get protein for weight training...there are a number of builders on youtube that talk about it.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »

By the way, I lost 5 lbs in two weeks when I stopped drinking those processed protein shakes and smoothies.

Best wishes and I wish you good health! :)

Protein shakes seems to have the affect on my weight. Although I am an omnivore, flesh is neither a mainstay nor daily part of my diet. I have been eating clean for years and incorporating vegetarian principles of food combining.
    Yet, I find it hard to reach 60g protein daily. I am moderately active and past my childbearing years. Still I am bothered that I am not getting enough protein, so I look forward exploring the link you provided for recipes and ideas.

• grandmachris8870
    grandmachris8870 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was a veggie (not vegan) for many years but have now introduced fish and white meats. Works for me.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    I am lower carb/higher fat + IF. I am typically an omnivore. My youngest has quickly gone from vegetarian to vegan. She is challenging me to do same. Although I am not luddite when it comes to food combining to get protein etc, (ex. legumes+grains), but keto kinds goes against the grains :( so I need to stalk other keto vegans for ideas to maintain protein macros.

I was a vegetarian and whole foods/cook from scratch in college, for economic reasons, so I have basic skills.

Today, the meat & poultry & eggs I eat is typically 3-6oz/day and is grass fed, free range, and much is locally raised on true family farms. I favor raw milk cheeses and our milk comes minimally pasturized not homogenized delivered in glass bottles from local family farm that grows their hay for their cows. Yet, hose years of being a vegetarian is with me still -happily- in the central place veggies, tubers, legumes, nuts, and seeds have in my diet. I did have to drastically thin-out the whole grains to be a weekly instead of a daily food, and my health is better for it.

The new skills I seek are not to lean on vegan "cheese" or vegan "eggs" and definitely not protein powder, as these things do not conform to my whole food values. I seek to eat happily without dairy, flesh, or eggs. My ultimate aim is to be able meet my macros when I am having vegan days, which I currently intend to incorporate 3-4dy/wk.
  • lpina2mi
    Options

By the way, I lost 5 lbs in two weeks when I stopped drinking those processed protein shakes and smoothies.

Supplementing with protein shakes, and I have tried various platforms (soy, whey, whey-iso, plant, etc) all resulted in weight gain for me and I honestly recall being hungrier using them.

Keto was a great way to satiate my hunger so I could reduce my overall caloric intake, closer to what my doctor was suggesting (which is way below standard). I lost initially then last 6 months began gaining again (I was also having funny kidney pangs & water retention). When I cut the addtl fat and embraced a veg diet, the weight began coming off again. I really think I topped out what fat my organs could handle.

Two months later, after transitioning to Veg my kidneys feel normal and water retention seldom greets me in the evening when I look at my feet.

• embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Im at odd often. Every time ive gone vego I end up having to have iron infusions intravenously. I have done everything I possibly can in terms of making sure gut health etc is good and still end up like that. My mum , aunts and grandmother were all the same, iron, folate and other Vit bs, Vitamin D . SO I compromise. I love a good veggie or vegan recipe . I think if you can be vegetarian do it! But just make sure you have the good quality cold pressed fats, good healthy proteins and legumes etc, greens and keep the processed carbs down and youll be fine.
  • Sharla1114
    Sharla1114 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is “WFPB”?
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Whole Food Plant Based
  • Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do low carb vegetarian. It's not always easy but it's definitely the WOE that makes me feel the best!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, used to be vegetarian, recently started eating keto.

Both are actually very similar for me anyways, because I've always eaten whole foods: little to zero processed foods.

One main difference is now instead of steaming most of my veggies, I cook them in olive oil or coconut oil.

I still love things like tempeh, but lately will add a piece of meat or eggs with my veggies.

I find both ways of eating very satisfying.

• dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl
    dkeofkfbdjsgdvfl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    b12, vitamin d, cacium, iodine, zink. Depending on how much egg, fish and dairy you eat, you should supplement for these things. as a woman you should also keep an eye on your iron levels.
  • lpina2mi
    Options

Thanks for the confirmation. That kind of supplementation just doesn't work for me.

Next question: Who supplements fiber (soluble or non-soluble)?

I had been adding acaia fiber to my americanos w oat milk or whole milk. Now that I have carved this extra carbs or fat from my daily intake ( to be applied more usefully elsewhere) I am not hitting my 30g of daily fiber even though I am eating 6c minimum of vegetables and legumes and have 1-2 pcs of fresh fruit.