Weekend Bling Report

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @99clmsntgr Yes, that experience was worth a lot. My target marathon pace is 7:20 per mile. The original idea was to practice marathon pace. Meb pacing 1:35 talked me into upping that to 7:15 per mile.

The interesting thing is that there was a substantial crowd going out with Meb the first few miles; I didn't feel the north wind, because the pace group blocked it. By the time I left Meb behind to finish fast, he was down to a group of 2 or 3 people running with him. I wasn't paying attention, so I don't know how many couldn't keep up and how many decided to run ahead at some point.

Nice! How many people can say that they left Meb in the dust?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Lucky Charm 5k this weekend. The plan was to try to PR but the wind and my recent flu ended those thoughts before the race even began. Ended up nearly 2 minutes slower than my PR. Still, that was good enough for 21st overall and 2nd in my age group (got a nice glass for my 2nd place effort).
    fl2slwgzzbko.jpg
    kkp3v7rl4zcl.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I did the Hogeye Marathon this past weekend in Springdale, AR. Time was not good, but I finished.
    3ezggxyhaymi.jpg
    agdl2hfcma06.jpgzkfuljjafgy1.jpg

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Attended the closing ceremony for the trail 5k series I did. You have to complete 4 of the 6 races to qualify. The kids and I participated in all 6 this year :) It's the same course each month, but the weather makes things very interesting!
    xuw8ot4cuki0.jpg
    This was my 3rd year participating in this series. They do a great job.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    lporter - given conditions, that is an amazing result. A lot of people ended up 20 minutes off their goal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited April 2019
    I rocked the last leg of the Big Sur Marathon relay!
    I was on a relay team for the Big Sur Marathon. I ran the last leg, which was officially "about" 9.4 miles. Runkeeper gave me credit for 9.5 miles. However, sometimes Runkeeper looks at GPS satellites, shrugs, and says, "Eh, close enough." I had two teammates; our fourth team member was injured and not able to run. One team member ran the first 4.8 miles, while the second ran legs 2 and 3.

Logistics for this race were complicated, but fortunately the BSIM team has been doing this for over three decades and have it figured out. The logistics were complicated not just because this is a relay, but also because BSIM is a point-to-point race along a two lane road. We had to take buses to the exchange points, and all relay runners were at their exchange points by the 6:45 am start of the marathon--even those of us who were running the last leg. I was up at 4:30 am for my 6 am bus to the exchange point. Marathoners and earlier leg runners were expected to show up at 3:45 am, so I got to sleep in.

On the way to the bus stop, I realized I had forgotten my earbud. This was going to be a race with no music. I was not happy.

We boarded the buses and drove about 30 minutes down the coast. It was too dark to see much; being a local, that didn't really bother me. Around 6:30 am, I ate my usual breakfast.

The first non-relay runner passed our exchange point, around mile 16.8, MUCH sooner than we had expected. Most of the relay runners were still on the buses, which had been thoughtfully parked at the exchange point so we didn't have to wait in the cold. It turned out, however, that people running the 11 miler got to begin around marathon mile 15 at 7 am, so they showed up at our exchange point quickly. Leg 4 runners, who were already running over 9 miles, all agreed that next year we were going to run the 11 miler and be done a lot sooner.

The first marathoner wasn't far behind, however. We had only been waiting a little over an hour when he came flying by, and everyone on the buses jumped up to watch. He lead the entire marathon and finished 7 minutes ahead of the second place finisher.

After that, there was a steady stream of runners, and I spent a couple hours reading a book on my phone. Around 9 am, I got off the bus to warm up. I did an easy jog down a trail to the coast, and walked laps up and down the road by the exchange point. I was very concerned about warming up and testing out my right leg, which has an old patellar tendon injury that had been bothering me since my Monday long run. I had taped the knee on Sunday night, and pre-race it felt slightly swollen, but stable and not painful.

My teammate, having conquered two legs of the race (including Hurricane Point, the big, steep hill on leg 3), showed up at 10:12 am. She handed off the relay timing chip--a scrunchie that was by this point pretty drenched with sweat--and I congratulated her and took off.

There were a lot of walkers at this point on the course. Since I had not already run 17 miles, I flew past them. I did not have my earbud, so I just let Runkeeper announce my stats through the phone speaker. I wound up not missing my music very much; the race day adrenaline and focus took over pretty quickly.

The scenery was very pleasant, but not as amazing as the earlier legs of the race, since much of leg 4 moved inland instead of following the coast. Leg 4 has been described as "rolling hills," which were not difficult, though the last hill was steep but short. I'm certain those hills felt much more difficult to people who ran a longer distance. The weather was an ideal 50 degrees with a light breeze.

Other highlights of the course were the musicians, including a harpist on the outskirts of Carmel, and the strawberry station around marathon mile 23.

I maintained relatively even splits, with miles 2-4 all in the 8:48-8:55 range, but I was not able to keep up that pace on the later hills and finished with an overall pace of 9:08. That was still my best mile pace of any run thus far, beating last fall's 10k pace of 9:15. I finished in a total time of 1:26:48. (All stats from Runkeeper, so they are likely a little off.)

The right knee held up perfectly well, possibly helped by the KT tape. It was a bit sore immediately after the race, but felt better later in the afternoon.

At the finish line, I received all three team members' medals. Like the Monterey Bay Half, they were handmade ceramic ocean-themed medallions; this year's relay medals have an octopus on them. The relay director did not want the sweaty scrunchie back. The food tent was out of chocolate chip cookies :(

I would be willing to run this leg of the relay again, but next year I may do the 11 miler instead, depending on my HM schedule. This would probably also increase my chances of getting a post-race chocolate chip cookie.

Next up: Capitola Half Marathon on May 19! Based on my pace today, I feel like a sub-2 hour HM is going to happen this year, either at Capitola or at the Monterey Bay Half in November.

uojk47d8e5uq.jpg

05qimkj8i7dl.jpg
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I had no idea runners had to get to the buses that early. It's like the Disney races. I've always wanted to run Big Sur, but doing it on no sleep would make it a lot harder.

Congratulations on doing so well. If you're averaging 9:08 on a hilly race, you'll surely break 2 this year if you can find a flatter or downhill one.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I had no idea runners had to get to the buses that early. It's like the Disney races. I've always wanted to run Big Sur, but doing it on no sleep would make it a lot harder.

Congratulations on doing so well. If you're averaging 9:08 on a hilly race, you'll surely break 2 this year if you can find a flatter or downhill one.

Out of town folks can stay at a hotel in short walking distance to the bus stop, if that helps. If you’d be dealing with a time change, you might want to show up a few days early to adjust—there’s plenty to do in the area. Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium, drive the route down the coast, take a whale watching tour, even head up to Santa Cruz if you get bored.

Thank you! My two half marathons this year are both pretty flat, and I train on hills, so I feel good about my chances for breaking two hours.
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    Ran the Indy Mini on Saturday, in the rain. Time of 1:57:36 with an 8:53 average min/mil. New PR by nearly 10 minutes! I'm super excited by this result. I met all my goals, No walking, new PR and breaking 2 hours!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Had a wonderful day yesterday and met all of my goals for the marathon I've been training for all year!
    Not pictured: shirt is in the wash cause I wore it after the race, and everywhere I went they kept handing me more of this alcohol-free beer, so I have a pile of that too.
    dthdxeb0qbvh.jpg
    The 7 is because this is the 7th year they've done the marathon.
    I now have medals # 5, 6 &7 :) but this one was my best by far.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Picked up a pint glass to add to my collection. Ran the Firecracker 4 Mile (Fairport, NY) in 26:56, good for 20th of 561 overall and 1st of 15 in the M 60-64 age group.
    eeg14dn7b6zd.jpg
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Picked up a pint glass to add to my collection. Ran the Firecracker 4 Mile (Fairport, NY) in 26:56, good for 20th of 561 overall and 1st of 15 in the M 60-64 age group.
    eeg14dn7b6zd.jpg

Those of you who are not in the Monthly Challenge group may not know that @MobyCarp sadly passed away at (or after) a race at the weekend. He will be sorely missed by all of us who were lucky enough to know him round here.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Those of you who are not in the Monthly Challenge group may not know that @MobyCarp sadly passed away at (or after) a race at the weekend. He will be sorely missed by all of us who were lucky enough to know him round here.

Oh, no! I always looked forward to reading his race accolades.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    mwm4edj35yk9.jpg
    Superior 100 this past weekend. took me 6 hours than I wanted, but that's how it goes sometimes.
  • dewd2
    So.... Erie Marathon... I made it to the starting line in one piece. This after not being able to run at all 6 weeks ago to managing 15 miles last Saturday. This after spending Friday night in the ER due to some really bad steak lodged in my esophagus. Manged 2 hours sleep and still decided to do my shake out run at 7 AM. So the fact that I made it to the start was surprising.

I started off OK - I was conservative and held around a 9 min pace for the first 7 miles. I decided to back off just a little and hung around 9:30 for the next 5. At some point I started to feel cramping in my injured abs and it was starting to become obvious I was not in marathon shape. So rather than risk injury I bailed at the halfway mark. Had I gone on I would have been ok for 5-7 more miles but then I would have been in no man's land. No easy way to get back to the the start.

I'm not disappointed since I have accepted the fact that I wasn't going to do well anyway. My focus now is to see if I can heal and train enough to give an honest effort at Harrisburg in November. I will be waiting until the very last minute to sign up. If I can run it hard, I will bag it for the year and focus on a spring marathon instead.
  • dewd2
    *That should say "If I can't run it hard". DUH!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    So.... Erie Marathon... I made it to the starting line in one piece. This after not being able to run at all 6 weeks ago to managing 15 miles last Saturday. This after spending Friday night in the ER due to some really bad steak lodged in my esophagus. Manged 2 hours sleep and still decided to do my shake out run at 7 AM. So the fact that I made it to the start was surprising.

I started off OK - I was conservative and held around a 9 min pace for the first 7 miles. I decided to back off just a little and hung around 9:30 for the next 5. At some point I started to feel cramping in my injured abs and it was starting to become obvious I was not in marathon shape. So rather than risk injury I bailed at the halfway mark. Had I gone on I would have been ok for 5-7 more miles but then I would have been in no man's land. No easy way to get back to the the start.

I'm not disappointed since I have accepted the fact that I wasn't going to do well anyway. My focus now is to see if I can heal and train enough to give an honest effort at Harrisburg in November. I will be waiting until the very last minute to sign up. If I can run it hard, I will bag it for the year and focus on a spring marathon instead.
    making good calls is such a big part of racing, and you made a great call. Sorry the race didn't turn out well, but you gave what you could and called it a day when you need to. Good Job.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    I ran a rare 5K last weekend. I had intended on actually training for it and getting a PR but time slipped away and I never managed to do any speed work. It still went well though. 23:57, just 12 seconds off my PR. And, for the first time, I placed 1st in my age group!! (M50-59) and 7th overall. Just to put that into perspective, there were only 72 in the race, only 39 of which finished in under 40 minutes, and only 4 in my AG. Several 3rd place AG winners were actually walking the course. Still, I'm happy with it. For my efforts I got another coffee mug, my third after placing 2nd AG last year and 3rd AG the year before.
    z9bzwzkjrmb8.jpg

I've done this race every year since I started running in 2015, (and every year they've held it) and will continue to do so. I always wear the cotton shirt from the first race. Coming so close to a PR, I'm thinking I may try to squeeze in another 5K or two this fall and try to PR.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    I had a last minute opportunity to run the Twin Cities 10 Mile last Sunday, the 4th largest 10 mile race in the US. My friend was registered but he fractured his foot so transferred the bib to me. It was a beautiful race and the weather was fantastic. Everything clicked. I had a goal of 1:25:00 and finished in 1:24:24 with an even split.

The bad news is that 2202 runners finished ahead of me. The good news is that I finished ahead of 8839 other runners.
    6cswkqpu36bh.jpg
    15e3edyf09qy.jpg