How much fat do you eat?

Options
Just curious to see how many grams of fat y'all average per day. Thanks in advance 😊

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t really track anymore but last time I did I was trying not to exceed about 80g.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Been averaging between 75 and 117 grams a day.

I'm not concerned with increased fat intake, because net carbs have been cut to under 20 net carbs daily and a calorie deficit, been trying to keep daily caloric intake between 1300--1500.

As long as my little macros pie graph shows 5-10% carbs, 20-25% proteins, and 70-75% fats, I'm happy, and I don't fret if my numbers are a little off in any direction.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance for my newbie ignorance, but is there a difference between the carb total MFP gives us, and "net" carbs?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Sorry in advance for my newbie ignorance, but is there a difference between the carb total MFP gives us, and "net" carbs?

@Curiousgeorgianna
    Yes, most people measure netcarbs by subtracting fiber.

Some people also subtract sugar alcohols.

I, personally, only subtract fibers.

Example: My unsweetened cocoa powder has 3 carbohydrates, but 2 are fiber, so I count it as 1 net carb.

Hope this helps!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

What was stated above by @Emmapatterson1729 is true much of the time but not always. MFP is an international site and countries outside the USA have different labeling on their products and that labeling often shows net carbs and thus is entered into MFP as such. The UK (as an example) has packaging that states net carbs. Frozen peas USA vs UK appear to have different carb amounts but it is just a difference in labeling requirements. :/

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Emmapatterson1729 and @kpk54! That really does help clarify. I just bought "The Hormone Fix", and am launching into this world of keto. My research so far has me pretty excited that this could finally be a sustainable lifestyle.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Been averaging between 75 and 117 grams a day.

This is about where I was when I last tracked, too.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Emmapatterson1729 and @kpk54! That really does help clarify. I just bought "The Hormone Fix", and am launching into this world of keto. My research so far has me pretty excited that this could finally be a sustainable lifestyle.

The idea with net carbs is to subtract out indigestible carbohydrates, because they don’t yield energy/calories to the body. If we don’t get caloric intake from it, we shouldn’t count it!

Also - welcome to keto!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    lol, Yes, that's the science behind it, just trying to keep it simple. 😉

This diet can get over-thought. I see it on forums, comments, and blogs all the time.

When in actuality, it is a simple and easy to follow plan!

In reality, it doesn't matter if you count total carbs, subtract fibers and/or sugar alcohols. Will still lose weight and feel great either way. It's whatever works individually.

For me, I subtract fibers or even count total carbs on some days. Because, I like to keep it simple and not stress over numbers.
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've got my fat set at 70%, 128 grams a day of healthy fats. It's hard for me to eat that much fat in a day so to meet my goal I'll either eat a couple tablespoons of all natural peanut butter or an avocado.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just curious to see how many grams of fat y'all average per day. Thanks in advance 😊

As low as 45 - 50 grams and as high as 140 grams, just depends on what I eat. But I'm averaging around 75 - 80 grams or so.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    50-75 g/day on average