Question

Options
andrea76figueroa
andrea76figueroa Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
I guess you could say I truly started low-carb high-fat Wednesday so I'm very new I seem to be okay most day staying under my carbs and my calories but I'm constantly going over in my cholesterol and sodium. Is that something that's okay? I drink about 90 oz of water a day but I don't know how to determine if the cholesterol is good or not.

Replies

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good Lord! I've been so busy watching my calorie, carb, protein and fat intake, that it completely skipped my mind , at my age I should also be monitoring my salt and cholesterol. I've had to go back and tweak my diary settings and menus. Thanks for the wake up call.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yes, it's okay. Science behind keto is finding consuming high cholesterol foods, does not directly effect cholesterol levels.

Keep in mind, that way of thinking started in the late 70s-80s which is part of what started the entire fat-free frenzy.

In the past, someone with high LDLs and triglycerides would be told by doctors to avoid egg yolks.

Now doctors supporting keto, are telling same patients to eat the yolk.

Keto, despite the consuming higher cholesterol from food intake, is repeatingly showing that patients' LDLs and triglycerides are lowering, while HDLs are raising.

Sodium, I use a potassium salt substitute and sea salts. I cook with very light sea salt, and sprinkle cooked food with salt substitute. I do watch my sodium levels, history of heart failure!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Like above commenter: Those are two studies I had read also.

Along with the results of the American Heart Institute, huge study of around 19,000 patients, over 15,000 had lowered blood pressure, lowered cholesterol levels, and had lost significant weight.

Unfortunately, I have to watch sodium, or I end up with edema. But NoSalt salt substitute doesn't taste that bad and ups my potassium a little.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You need sodium. No doubt even more than you’re getting.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/salt-guide
  • andrea76figueroa
    andrea76figueroa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It appears I wo t worry so much about my sodium and cholesterol right now. If when I go back to the dr. She has co. Ernst I'll worry about it then.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It appears I wo t worry so much about my sodium and cholesterol right now. If when I go back to the dr. She has co. Ernst I'll worry about it then.

You may also want to bring those articles to your doctor to see what they think. If you've got a good doctor, they can help you understand the findings and recommendations in the greater context of the scientific literature.