Keto Sandwiches

prowell57
prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
I'm so excited about finding these today! Now I can have sandwiches, wraps and burritos without having to cook keto bread!s9x0y9sjuraq.jpeg

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    I sometimes put meat & fillings wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Occasionally I have Ezekiel bread. Those wraps look interesting though.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Oh wow, I need to try those. Where did you buy them?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    How much did those cost? I need to find something like that, if it's affordable!

My boyfriend can make homemade tortillas low carb with almond flour, but we can't afford almond flour, it's just not in our budget.

Keto goodies are usually way expensive!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    chelny wrote: »
    I sometimes put meat & fillings wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Occasionally I have Ezekiel bread. Those wraps look interesting though.

I like to use greens for wraps also... Plus, lettuces are very affordable.

I also make a lot of bread-like cheese & egg creations.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    LOL, looked them up, because they really do look and sound good.... Way out my budget for the moment... Just moved across country and moving is expensive. Soon I will have these.... And my freaking almond flour!! ;)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,045 Member
    I used to make all sorts of low carb bread substitutes, with almond or coconut flours, or grated veggies like zucchini ( squeeze the water out of them, then mix with egg, cheese and seasoning, then bake on parchment paper), also cauliflower type bread or pizza crusts, or fathead dough creations. But I have lost the taste for bread like things over the years of eating low carb.

I just eat the sandwich fillings now. I might wrap in a lettuce leaf if I have lettuce on hand, but mostly skip it altogether. I will quite often use a hard cheese slice as a firm base on which to stack leftover roast beef, turkey, pork etc, or deli meats, mayo and mustard. One of my favourite “sandwiches “ is hard Swiss cheese slices with butter as the filling. Or slices of cold roast beef as my “bread”, with butter and mustard and salt and pepper. It takes just like a roast beef sandwich with bread used to taste to me. And it takes no extra preparation or extra cost. Plus it leaves me feeling just as satiated. Sliced meats can be wrapped around other fillings. I also like tuna packed in olive oil, eaten out of a bowl with mayo.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I used to make all sorts of low carb bread substitutes, with almond or coconut flours, or grated veggies like zucchini ( squeeze the water out of them, then mix with egg, cheese and seasoning, then bake on parchment paper), also cauliflower type bread or pizza crusts, or fathead dough creations. But I have lost the taste for bread like things over the years of eating low carb.

I just eat the sandwich fillings now. I might wrap in a lettuce leaf if I have lettuce on hand, but mostly skip it altogether. I will quite often use a hard cheese slice as a firm base on which to stack leftover roast beef, turkey, pork etc, or deli meats, mayo and mustard. One of my favourite “sandwiches “ is hard Swiss cheese slices with butter as the filling. Or slices of cold roast beef as my “bread”, with butter and mustard and salt and pepper. It takes just like a roast beef sandwich with bread used to taste to me. And it takes no extra preparation or extra cost. Plus it leaves me feeling just as satiated. Sliced meats can be wrapped around other fillings. I also like tuna packed in olive oil, eaten out of a bowl with mayo.

Gotta try the zucchini idea you mention!!

We've been making "sandwiches" using deli meats as our "wraps." It's really good, even grilled like a grilled cheese sandwich.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member

I mostly agree with this. I do sometimes miss a good, crusty bread with butter. Or toast with butter & jam. But most bread is so blah that I don't miss it much. What I miss is the convenience. It's so easy to put 2 slices with lunchmeat, cheese, lettuce in a little container to take to work, and not messy to eat. It just feels messy to have the lunchmeat & whatever without bread. I guess it's a paradigm shift that I haven't made yet.

I bought some G&G Crispbread Bran Crackers, on the recommendation of Dr. Bernstein's book, thinking they'd make lunches a little simpler. They are low net carbs, but they taste awful. I'd rather just have a tablespoon of peanut butter than have PB on these crackers. Not worth the 2 net carbs to me. Anybody wanna try them? I have 5 packs because that is how they were sold on amazon. ;) Live & learn.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,045 Member
    I would grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the water like I said. I’d add egg, and I think a bit of almond meal, and grated cheese, until the batter achieves a pancake batter texture. Bake on a cookie sheet on parchment paper. I would use these like tortillas.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    I would grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the water like I said. I’d add egg, and I think a bit of almond meal, and grated cheese, until the batter achieves a pancake batter texture. Bake on a cookie sheet on parchment paper. I would use these like tortillas.

Thanks!!! Sounds really good!!!
  • d805
    d805 Posts: 103 Member

Sounds delicious. I need to give this a try.
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Oh wow, I need to try those. Where did you buy them?

I found these at our local grocery store.