Falling off the wagon...

Options
Everyonelies
Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
I have not been logging my food in for the better part of this month...but since I pretty much eat the same things...I feel like I am still staying under 20g net...although I am sure my calories are higher than normal...

This past week though, I have been more careless and letting allowing myself to eat things that are not Keto friendly... last weekend I had bbq ribs and shared a cheesecake slice with someone...

Friday I had 2 small pieces of chocolate desserts...Saturday I had some cake and a few sips of beer...

Surprisingly enough, I do no feel bloated...sick, or any of those things.

My workouts have reduced, I have not lifted weights in a few weeks, but I have taken up running...2 to 3 times a week...6-9 miles total per week.

I am not completely off the wagon, sort of have a leg sticking out...I am afraid of jumping off of it, but I also like the feel of that "freedom" since I am not feeling sick with the food I have had.

I don't know if it's because of the weather...the fact that I am seeing someone (they know I am on keto and don't push food on me), or the fact that I am 10mts in and need a little change...at least for a bit?

I also have not been weighing myself every day...not sure if doing so was keeping me more on track...but my clothes fit fine...actually, I was able to use my belt on the next notch...

I know I am losing muscle...my arms are getting loose again...but I am trying to work my self back to the gym... it's just so nice outside!!

Anyuone else go through something similar while on the Keto journey? Just wondering...

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I haven't been going to the gym lately (it's not my favorite), but I am still tracking my food. I did drag my butt to the gym today after work, so that's something. I'm frustrated because a week ago I weighed in, down about 2 lbs. Today I weighed, back up about 2 lbs. Meh. It's probably hormones or something, but it's frustrating. But I cannot give up. For me, eating low carb/keto is about health. I still have some weight to lose, but healthy blood sugar is more important. Maybe that medical need makes it easier to stick with the plan. What is your purpose in following this way of eating?

I know strength training is good for weight loss, blood glucose control, and also for my running. I need to stick with it. I guess i need to take that as seriously as the meals I eat.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    chelny wrote: »
    I haven't been going to the gym lately (it's not my favorite), but I am still tracking my food. I did drag my butt to the gym today after work, so that's something. I'm frustrated because a week ago I weighed in, down about 2 lbs. Today I weighed, back up about 2 lbs. Meh. It's probably hormones or something, but it's frustrating. But I cannot give up. For me, eating low carb/keto is about health. I still have some weight to lose, but healthy blood sugar is more important. Maybe that medical need makes it easier to stick with the plan. What is your purpose in following this way of eating?

I know strength training is good for weight loss, blood glucose control, and also for my running. I need to stick with it. I guess i need to take that as seriously as the meals I eat.

It was originally to lose weight and to, hopefully, reverse my PCOS. I have lost most of the weight I wanted, still have about 15-20lbs to go, depending on the day. My PCOS doesnt seem to be budging much...but I do feel better in all other aspects...

I am not sure what happened, something clicked and all of a sudden, tracking went out the window. I need to fast for at least 36hrs to get back on it...hopefully it will help.

Not craving much of anything...but today there was some emotional eating involved...had a brownie...knew I shouldn't be having it as I am eating it...then regretted it afterwards...

I am hoping it makes me sick, maybe I will learn my lesson.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    How long have you been eating keto?

I'm assuming awhile, if you've been on long enough to really fall off the wagon.

Do you eat fat bombs? I saw you mention a fast. For us, the fat bombs have really curved the desire to binge, cravings, no desire to even emotionally eat. I was wondering if fasting with the exception of water and fat bombs might help get back on track.

I got the idea from a keto blogger. And it helps my family and I fight cravings and avoid binging.

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off. I'm getting back on tomorrow. Only reason not today is because I had brown rice. I initially lost 30 lbs in two months and stalled out for a few months and but now I've gained it back so it's time to refocus recommit and keep going
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I'm fairly new to Keto, about a month and a half in. When you fall off wagon and consume starches... Does the weight just automatically come back on quick? I'm wondering if people go from keto to low carb successively?
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to Keto, about a month and a half in. When you fall off wagon and consume starches... Does the weight just automatically come back on quick? I'm wondering if people go from keto to low carb successively?

I think everyone is different, and also think it depends on how long someone has been low carb/keto. I had a small portion of rice just a few days ago with some roasted garlic chicken and veggies and I didn't notice any changes in how my body reacted. Rice doesn't affect me at all. But I've also been doing this for over a year now.

But a handful of times I have nibbled bread (McDonalds McRib & Whataburger cheeseburger) and a single serving of tortilla chips not long ago and the inflammation in my hands and other joints came back with a vengeance within a day or so. So there's definitely some foods I just cannot have. :neutral: The way it feels for me is the same way it feels if you're stung by a bee and have that mild anaphylactic reaction - swelling, stiffness, redness, and warmness in the joints. I'm sure if I went back to a standard diet I'd start putting a ton of water weight back on.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options

Ideally, you should lose about 2-5lb more on keto than you want and then slowly up your carbs to low-carb. You will probably gain a couple pounds of water weight. Storing carbs in the body is in the form of glycogen and that requires water to be stored with it.

So off-the-wagon is an immediate water weight gain that if you got back on keto will leave in a few days.

People gain all the rest of their weight back when they return to eating too much to burn off. This happens on all diets if you go back to bad habits.

Eat too much over time = Get fat again.
    The more you eat, the faster you regain.

I went LC after keto and gained 4lb of water.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Thanks @baconslave and @shelbydodgeguy ...

LOL, reposted my question in general group forum, might also read back through old posts about maintaining.

I know everyone is different, this is a great place to get a variety of ideas and see different things that work for different people.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    How long have you been eating keto?

I'm assuming awhile, if you've been on long enough to really fall off the wagon.

Do you eat fat bombs? I saw you mention a fast. For us, the fat bombs have really curved the desire to binge, cravings, no desire to even emotionally eat. I was wondering if fasting with the exception of water and fat bombs might help get back on track.

I got the idea from a keto blogger. And it helps my family and I fight cravings and avoid binging.

I have been doing Keto for over 10mts now. I have never tried fat bombs...I have fasted with just black coffee...tea...and water, and I have been good at doing it for, the max, 37hrs. I did gain a few lbs, I am hoping it was all water, but because it is the end of the month, and I weigh and measure myself on the 1st, I am afraid there will be no change from last month. Today I got back on the wagon sort of speak...brought my home cooked meals and didn't eat anything that I cannot weigh, measure or scan.

I am up 3lbs from July 8th, and I know it doesn't sound like much, but my stomach feels bloated now. I will be going for a run later today, and try to work out every day this week...hopefully everything will start going back to normal.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @Everyonelies

It's amazing how in tune we get with our bodies while eating clean or eating keto. No, a 3 lb gain doesn't sound significant, but when it's accompanied by bloat, it can be quite distressing!!!

I'm slowly discovering new things that cause me uncomfortable bloat. (Like sriracha, love sriracha, but everytime I add it to my food, I bloat up).

And the fat bombs have saved us a little. Can't eat them all day everyday, but as a nice sweet treat, they've definitely curved cravings.