What's your workout?

There's a million different workouts out there. As larger losers, many of us have unique needs when it comes to working out. For many of us, lower impact exercises are important. So let's pool our knowledge. What's working for you?

My workouts of choice are always going to be those natural outdoor play activities that don't feel like work. Long walks/hikes/bike rides/canoeing. I got a pretty heavy unintentional workout just slogging across the beach last weekend. Right now, I'm mainly using my Fitbit to encourage myself to get those 10,000 steps. Unfortunately, the major heatwave we're facing is keeping me inside.

As for indoor workouts, I've used my Wii U to play Just Dance. I have at least 3 different editions of it. I like them because they're fun, and they have catchy, well-known songs. A lot of the DVDs I used to do back in the day were really lacking in the music department, so Just Dance is great.

I was looking at streaming channels (like Beachbody on Demand and The Daily Burn), but I don't have the money to invest in them right now. There's a lot of free content on YouTube I haven't explored yet, and I do want to start going through those and reviewing them. I'd love to know of any great channels if you're using any of them!

So what are your recommendations? Let's shares some ideas with each other!

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I walk my dogs at least once a day. I have been trying to shoot baskets at the park to get a little more rigorous activity. I want to go to the gym but finding time and making it priority seem a little lacking. Yard work helps too, I used to make my sons mow the lawn, now I try to do it.
  • jjlewey
    I just tried to link my fitbit main screen
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey wrote: »
    I just tried to link my fitbit main screen

Not sure why it linked a giant pic? Lol
  • melanie_marie78
    melanie_marie78 Posts: 17 Member
    Yard work is a great workout! I garden mostly. I used to do all the lawn mowing before my allergies got really bad.

I think the Fitbit share button just shares a pic of your front screen. I'll have to look and find out how to friend. All of my friends right now on it are just from my Facebook contacts.
  • davemacdonald31
    davemacdonald31 Posts: 196 Member
    I hit the gym 6 times a week. 3 days are full body weights, 2 are cardio. One is HIIT, the other is steady state for 40 minutes. Usually Saturday is hot yoga. Plus 3 nights a week I do DDPyoga.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    I just got a stationary bike from a family friend so I ride that 15 min a day. I stand at work 10 hours a day so I'm sure that has to help. I plan on getting some dum bells and a weight bench/bar soon so I can lift weights like I did when I was younger. I cut way back on fork and spoon lifts which has helped me loose a lot of weight lol. I got a book a couple years ago from my dad that shoukd you all kinds of differant work outs for the differant parts of the body so I'll be giving that a look thru soon.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0x4OP0yDE90&t=15s
    I started doing this video everyday, then checking out her other videos as I got fitter. They definitely helped me and as this ones only 7 minutes it was a nice way to get back into exercising for me
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I would like to join in. I have been doing Zumba videos on Youtube for my workouts. They are pretty intense so I can only do a portion, but I'm working on it. One of my mini goals is to be able to do the whole 20 min video, and then to be able to actually do all of the exercises. They do have a lot of good work out videos on Youtube, so I recommend looking into that. Pinterest also has some good ideas for workouts. They have a lot of short ones that only take maybe 5 or 10 mins, but you could repeat them as you build up your endurance. I like the idea of the Wii workouts. I used to do that when I lived with my mom because she had one, but I don't have one anymore. I loved those dance games too, so I might look into that again. Exercise should be fun
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    When I lost the weight in 2012/2013, I was going to the gym (elliptical) and walking (Fitbit/10k steps/day).
    In 2013, I did a bit of recomp with 30 day shred (inspired by these forums) and months of the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I lost a bit of weight, but my body composition changed, I think. I wasn't good at measurements then.

In 2018, when I made the decision to finish losing the weight and get to goal, I wanted to pick something that's sustainable for me. So I really do most of my weight loss through food/caloric intake control.

I like hiking, so we do that on the weekends when it's not hot outside or cold.
    I like swimming and now that the pool is set up and it's finally WARM outside, I turn into a water baby and get my bum outside in my pool!

Other than that, I just walk, but not really ... pointedly. I know that I don't have the determination and drive to go to the gym and get super lean/build muscle. I am lazy and so I told myself that whatever I did had to fit in my standard mode: lazy. Now, my husband and I take walks at night because that's our time to catch up and it's nice to give me extra calories. I also walk around at work and I'm pretty bouncy (so my NEAT is pretty high) and that tends to push me from sedentary to active. Some days, I'm actually really active because I do like to WALK and talk to people at work. I also like going outside and walk around listening to my audio book to get away from the office.

I admire people who have the drive to be awesome in the gym. That's just not me. XD
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    definitely riding my bike and walking. I've been doing bodyweight strength exercise 2-3X a week at home, but I'm looking to get some free weights to add more arm exercises.

I'm a little nervous for the return of winter. I'm not a gym person, but I'm thinking I might do that during the cold season to at least use a stationary bike. I can get a good deal through work, and I think it would be helpful even if I only visit once or twice a week. hmm.
  • razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    I’ve been attending bootcamp 5-6 days a week. Going forward I’m going to add additional cardio and strength training 4 days a week
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    I do DDP yoga every morning and four nights a week. 3 days of strength training, one day of personal training and aqua zumba twice a week at the gym. I am go for hour long walks when I am. Not doing any of the above.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited October 2019
    Jogging / running 3x/week is all I do currently, other than walking. I've been working through the Couch to 5k program, and will start the last week of it tomorrow morning.

I'm planning to start strength training via an introductory personal training program at the Y after I finish C25k. Friends have told me to expect at least a week of soreness after I start lifting, and I don't want that to impede me from finishing the program.

edit: I also do occasional VR "workouts" in the form of playing Beat Saber. That game makes you work up a sweat.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I only walk and do yoga at home. My walks are between 4-6km usually. Sometimes more in the weekends. Yoga I do for 30-45 mins every second day. I've put my name down to start social squash on Mondays so I'm really looking forward to starting that.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    I'm definitely a pool workout kinda gal. I find with my arthritis it works for me. I do a combo of lane swims, water jogging and things such as lunges, squats and jumping Jack's. I always leave there exhausted but exhilarated 😊
  • kosseychick
    @maiomaio71 I'm considering trying gentle yoga for my arthritis.. I see a few videos on U Tube I think I'm going to try.😊
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    @kosseychick I have arthritis in my right knee. Walking is ok. Yoga helps loosen it up and strengthen the other muscles. I take diclofenac (voltaren) when it gets bad. Weightloss has definitely helped. i can't swim because of eczema so I'm really limited to what I can do. I love my yoga now. Found it hard when I started because I had to adapt the poses a lot but I'm a lot better now! Definitely give it a go. It's a great work out
  • kosseychick
    @maiomaio71 thanks for the tip! I'm going to give it a try!😊
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    When this darn cold is over I am starting the “ chair yoga “..... I think I can do it because you don’t have to get up and down off the floor....can’t put much weight on my fake knees!....I wish you lived closer so we could water exercise together!....we are about a zillion miles apart!
  • kosseychick
    @conniewilkins56 omg it's like you are reading my mind.. I've been on Amazon looking at Chair Yoga books.. figured it would be a good starting point for me!😃