Living the Lifestyle - Thursday, 07/25/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,274 Member
Sorry everyone for the tardiness. I should plan this out at least the day before. Perhaps not intended but this may be the reason my mind drifted towards this subject. You know the subconscious mind thing?

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - imastar (Derrick
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - Wildcard (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Where are you? Where do you need to go?

Thinking from you current effort to lose weight - whether than is 10 years or 2 days - where do you stand in relation to your established goals? What do you need to do to actually achieve those goals? Is there a lot left to be done; or, are you about to achieve that milestone?

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,003 Member
    Options
    Actually everyday currently I should start a new with my present status. Possibly because of the length of time I've been at it this time has gotten really stale. Sort of ho hum if you will. In stead of making a goal to get to 185 I first got to get 10 lbs off etc or even 1 lb a week. Trouble is I've got quite a ways to go and at my age 72 I've got to step it up here.

So a good current goal for me would be 240 lbs that's 106 loss. This is what I weighed when I married my wife 29 years ago this month so that's where I'm going to start. I know I can do it so I'm going to get started on this journey not tomorrow not next week but today.

So I think I got those 2 questions answered. Thanks @misterhub
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,574 Member
    Options
    I have just had my best month in a while. Started with tracking on paper (no points) with no internet while on a 2 week vacation and being more active and have kept it going, though I track with points again. But I gained 55lbs over 2+ years when my back issues started and changed things in life. I have only lost 5 of them recently after stalling for a year.

My main goal is to be healthy and to get those 55 off which a neurosurgeon told me was the best treatment plan for my back he could offer along with strength and flexibility work. So now my goals are to track everyday, get cardio in (walking/cycling) in 6 days a week and keep active otherwise to register 40 miles a week, do mat work for stretching and strengthing everyday (I hate this necessary one) and lose weight by doing so and improve my health and vitality overall.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Thinking from you current effort to lose weight - whether than is 10 years or 2 days - where do you stand in relation to your established goals? What do you need to do to actually achieve those goals? Is there a lot left to be done; or, are you about to achieve that milestone?

According to today’s WI, 167.4 lbs, my current effort, tracking for 3 weeks, has been an outstanding success. I was 172.4 3 weeks ago. Actually I think 172.4 and 167.4 are both anomalies.

A lot to be done? Yes. Maintaining doesn’t stop.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Where am I now? I’m at 222.0 pounds on a 5’10” frame.

I have successfully made tracking a habit again. I am making progress and staying within my points I have it again too. I have re-discovered how much I enjoy eating healthy foods.

I have successfully made daily exercise another habit again. My wife and I can comfortably ride our bikes up to 10 miles, and are building our entrance in that way. We also hike regularly, though I rarely remember to track how many miles or minutes. On my own, I am back to running, though I am currently not yet back to 5K shape.

Where do I need to go now? I think that I need to continue on the path that I have been going, which is to keep making small incremental changes toward to the healthy lifestyle that I desire. I really like what Imastar2 said about starting anew each day. I love the experience of fresh, new discoveries, whether that be food, exercise, simply new locations to explore…
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm on the verge of 10 years maintaining after losing ~50 pounds. However, I'm not quite where I'd like to be. I've been floating 5-15 pounds above my personal target weight even though I'm in the "normal" BMI range and under my official WW goal.

I'm almost 8 months into my latest effort to get down to 130 pounds. I had good early success but have just been bouncing around the 135-138 range for a few months now. I was able to correlate this with travel, but now that travel has stopped, I'm out of excuses! ha ha.

I have a plan that I am happy with. I just need to stick to my plan.

I only want to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the week, and only have a cup of hot tea as my after-dinner snack. On Friday/Saturday I allow myself wine/beer and a more robust meal (all in honor of Shabbat). I also want to exercise at least 5x/weeks.

For the past couple of weeks I've been right on-track for my plan, and have taken off ~3 pounds.

So, there you go. The plan works if you work it. ha ha.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    I need to keep night time eating/snacking under control. if I could do that I think My weight loss would improve quit some but it is a challenge as of now. I have maintained this tear so far but have not lost a more than 3 lbs. total to date this year and no where near the goal I have set for loss.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Usually beer, but tonight ice cream.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

Where am I? Averaging a couple pounds below WW goal.

Where do I need to go? I felt best when I was averaging around 162-163 pounds. I'm averaging around 168 now. But at the start of the year the average was hovering right around 170 which meant I had to time my LT WI carefully.

I made goal in 2012 and then kept dropping. It seemed easy to maintain those first couple of years. Then work stress & work hours increased and I found myself struggling. I traded one set of stressors for another at work in spring 2018. Being more attentive to what I am eating (focusing on more protein, less processed stuff) since the start of the year has helped bring the scale back to a more comfortable weight.

I'm in a particularly crazy time of the summer semester where I'm having to be on campus late several nights a week. It certainly negatively impacts my motivation to diligent with my food intake. The last late night for this semester is August 8th.