Carbs and calories

Options
carriels7
carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
I’m new to this - and at 72 really want to get off meds and have more energy. Want to lose approximately 60 pounds. One week in and down 3 pounds (figure this is a learning process) and this afternoon was in mild ketosis.

However am trying to stick to around 1100 calories and 20 net carbs. Some days hard to get enough calories and some like today where I’m over by 300 cal ‘cuz I was hungry.

Do you guys count both?

Replies

• carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just read the thread where it is advised NOT to count calories. I have seen this argument when doing research on this way of eating. However have also seen where some people on the internet still believe in it. The “Keto guru” said she kept to low calories and low carbs. I just think it’s so darn hard to do both.

What do you guys do?
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I count calories and keep track of carbs. But I kinda have to because I'm a chronic pain person and am extremely sedentary though that is getting slightly since most of the joint inflammation has gone away.

From June last year until the first of this year I did 1200 calories a day, but now I'm eating more as I'm way lighter. And yes, I'm doctor supervised because eating that little is not recommended but I was in horrible shape and didn't have much quality of life at the time. Now I try to eat at least 1350 a day up to around 15 - 1600 and 20g carbs but don't fret if I go over a bit.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The reason for not counting calories is because of the appetite suppressing effect keto has (it means you don't have to count to limit calories).

But I count to make sure I'm getting enough calories. Dipping under 1200 too often or too long can be dangerous. And can damage the heart.

And of course, I'm not talking about anyone who is 1200 or lower under medical supervision!!

Find high calorie snacks that are not filling, like nuts, just to fill in calories, an avocado, or an extra tablespoon of olive oil in a meal.

Good luck and welcome!!
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    With any diet, keto or not, it really does all boil down to calories in and calories out. The above poster is right - The reason a lot of people say you don't need to count on keto is because you're more easily satiated, so many people are successful without counting calories. Having started out quite heavy myself, it worked a little in the beginning, but as I lost more and more weight, I really needed to stick to counting. I'm not a huge fan of the calorie estimates from MFP, they seem far too low for my tastes. I'm a 5'6' female @ 160lbs and I'm losing eating 1,300 cal/day, so if 1,100 is too challenging for you, you could probably up it a little bit depending on your situation/body and still lose, even if it's a bit more slowly.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I count carbs and calories, otherwise I end up eating more than I think I am.
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been following a keto diet since February and I count carbs, calories and watch my macros as well. It's a lot to keep track of but it's been helpful. I will eat if I am truly hungry even if it means going a bit over my calorie range. Sounds dramatic but I feel like I'm in recovery from a lifetime of overeating and sugar addiction. So I assume at some point I will be able to stop counting and eat intuitively but I'm not there yet.

It took me 3 or 4 months to find my groove with keto and I read a lot and lurked on these boards as well. Lots of good information out there and you will find your groove too.

Best wishes to you!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I count both, but there are a lot of people who don't count calories for the first few weeks of keto just to focus on adapting to the lower carbs without having to restrict intake in the beginning.

I can totally build fat on keto, so if I want to maintain or lose, then I definitely have to track calories. I fill in with non-starchy veggies if I am still hungry after eating my daily protein. If you have excess body fat then you don't really need to eat the extra fat.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Keto is a little different, because it's reprogramming the body to use fat as fuel versus glucose as fuel. It changes a lot more inside the body than just that, it changes hormones, liver functions, things we can't see, etc.

Calories per gram of food and speeds for metabolizing go:

9 cals--fats slowest
    4 cals--proteins second slowest
    4 cals--carbs fast

Eating proteins and fats is very filling... It's easier to get higher calorie foods in through healthy fats and fatty proteins. If you're at a deficit, the body will burn through calorie intake and still keep burning through stored fuel.

MFP will not give a calorie limit under 1200.

But I agree with an above commenter, keto calculator app I used put me around 1650 calories. MFP had me at 1300. Had to adjust goals to get that raised to 1410 (my range I try for 1300-1650).

Also, I believe most jump into a new diet or new exercise program thinking of the today, but not the tomorrow. The lower the calorie intake you start at, the harder it will be to get out of and adjust for future plateaus. Same with exercising, if incorporating a new routine, start light cardio or very light strength training. Increase later.

Can always adjust calories and/or exercise if at a stall.

Hope this helps!!

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Keto is a little different, because it's reprogramming the body to use fat as fuel versus glucose as fuel. It changes a lot more inside the body than just that, it changes hormones, liver functions, things we can't see, etc.

Calories per gram of food and speeds for metabolizing go:

9 cals--fats slowest
    4 cals--proteins second slowest
    4 cals--carbs fast

Eating proteins and fats is very filling... It's easier to get higher calorie foods in through healthy fats and fatty proteins. If you're at a deficit, the body will burn through calorie intake and still keep burning through stored fuel.

MFP will not give a calorie limit under 1200.

But I agree with an above commenter, keto calculator app I used put me around 1650 calories. MFP had me at 1300. Had to adjust goals to get that raised to 1410 (my range I try for 1300-1650).

Also, I believe most jump into a new diet or new exercise program thinking of the today, but not the tomorrow. The lower the calorie intake you start at, the harder it will be to get out of and adjust for future plateaus. Same with exercising, if incorporating a new routine, start light cardio or very light strength training. Increase later.

Can always adjust calories and/or exercise if at a stall.

Hope this helps!!

• QueenofCaffeine4Life
    QueenofCaffeine4Life Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do both, simply because that is what has worked for me. I was on a low carb/keto plan for quite some time with very little weight loss. I thought I was doing everything right. Added the butter, oil, and bulletproof coffee. I loaded up on all things fat + protein. In short, I was eating way to many calories for my body to even process.

I wound up joining Medi Weightloss Clinic. The principals were keto'ish too. However, the restriction of calories was what I needed. I have lost 31lbs since May 1 and it is July 31. I love Medi because it taught me what I was doing was wrong for me. I stopped going to Medi the end of June due to a very busy schedule. I have lost on my own because I count my calories and stay low carb. I don't count carbs but just choose low carb foods. I stay under 1350 a day. There are few days I go over as well.

There are many people I know that have lost weight on the keto diet. Which is typically high fat, moderate protein, and low/no carb. However, I do much better on lower calorie and low carb. My body just couldn't process all the fat!

I think it really is a matter of learning what works for your body. It's frustrating to say the least that what works for one doesn't work for another. We all are so unique. I also learned that my low carb may be different than another persons low carb. I allow sugar free products in my diet. Others may not. I am sensitive to wheat products so I don't eat that...where as another low carber may indulge in whole wheat or grains. It's all about perspective and our own journey.

I wish you the best!! I know you will rock this lifestyle.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    However am trying to stick to around 1100 calories and 20 net carbs. Some days hard to get enough calories and some like today where I’m over by 300 cal ‘cuz I was hungry.

While I question the wisdom of 1100 calories (I'd definitely cross-check with a couple of different calculators to make sure that's sufficient and not too aggressive for you), the "some days over, some days under" is perfectly fine and normal.

Our bodies naturally go through phases of hunger/not hunger. What matters is the trend over time.

Let's say your goal is 1500 and this is your week:

Monday 1400
    Tuesday 1450
    Wednesday 1200
    Thursday 1700
    Friday 2000
    Saturday 1100
    Sunday 1600

If you got exactly 1500 every day for a week, that's 10,500 calories total.

The above list comes out to 10,450 total, despite 3 of the 7 days being over, with one being a fair bit over. That's because it's balanced out by being under some days. It's what it looks like when you neither force yourself to eat when not hungry, nor forcibly starve yourself, but follow your hunger signals (signals made more accurate with the help of a low carb, high fat diet).
    The “Keto guru” said she kept to low calories and low carbs. I just think it’s so darn hard to do both.

It's difficult to forcefully reduce your calories to low levels, and it's that way for good reason (survival).

Consider this: the prisoners in the Nazi concentration camps were fed roughly 1/3 of their daily caloric needs and, of course, were starving to death. I'm sure you've seen pictures of survivors.

So, if you're trying to force yourself to only consume 1100 calories, and your body really needs 2500 to maintain, then you're effectively treating your body like a death camp prisoner.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I count both, but there are a lot of people who don't count calories for the first few weeks of keto just to focus on adapting to the lower carbs without having to restrict intake in the beginning.

I can totally build fat on keto, so if I want to maintain or lose, then I definitely have to track calories. I fill in with non-starchy veggies if I am still hungry after eating my daily protein. If you have excess body fat then you don't really need to eat the extra fat.

I am just like tcunbeliever... if I don't watch my calories I do gain fat on keto. But then again I'm 55, through menopause, and due to a couple of autoimmune conditions can't get as much exercise as I used to.