Living the Lifestyle - Wildcard Wednesday - July 31, 2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,277 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - Wildcard (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Meal Timing

Do you adhere to traditional meal times? Or, do you eat when convenient? Or, do you let hunger guide your decision on when to eat? Other?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,277 Member
    Options
    I do not adhere strictly to traditional meal times. However, I do eat within a window of maybe an hour. Usually, the first pangs of hunger kick in, and I start moving toward meal time.

Sometimes, though, if I've eaten later than normal - breakfast, for example - I may eat a very light lunch or even skip it in favor of an earlier dinner.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,998 Member
    Options
    That depends on what you mean by "traditional." I always have an early lunch (often 11 am) because I'm often hungry by then, and that often works best for my schedule. Dinner is based around other evening commitments (afternoon/evening synagogue and other activities), so during this time of year we tend to eat a later dinner (8 pm). At other times of the year dinner will be much earlier.

Sundays are all over the place. Sometimes I'll have both breakfast and a "brunch" and then have a later lunch (and of course, dinner!).
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,090 Member
    Options
    Pretty much "three squares" a day, usually =/- an hour of our normals. Plus (of course) snackage, usually mid afternoon, and evening.

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Early Lunch between 12 and 2 Dinner around 6 and snacks of sort at night.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,483 Member
    Options
    About 7 am, noon, 6:30.

Been at it so long it’s second nature. And find it best to know what’s coming next.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,008 Member
    Options
    I do like to stick to traditional times but if I don't have an early appointment I tend to sleep in for awhile. Then eat breakfast pretty quick after rising. Then no real schedule for lunch but usually around 1 ish. DW and I usually try to eat dinner between 6-7 mostly around 7.

Then sometimes I get really busy and traditional times for the meals go out the window and I get more into the convenient side or hungry side.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,974 Member
    Options
    Pretty regular most days at 8 12 and 6 for meals snacks can be a lot more varied. There are occaisonaly some 2 meal days mostly on weekends. I don't actually like them because I am mostly a creature of habit
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    No traditional meal times for me. The most consistent meal time is breakfast as I always wake up hungry. I have the intention to eat when hungry for the remainder of the day. But sometimes I do have to eat earlier than planned when I know I'm going to be stuck in my lab for many hours.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    No set times, but I do tend to do a natural IF because I tend not to eat breakfast and prefer not to eat dinner too late. We used to be really bad about eating a late dinner, and I found pushing it back helped a bit with sleep.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of things I do it my way. For 30 years while working just coffee in a.m. after a 13 mile bike commute followed by early lunch at 11 a.m. I basically worked from 7 to 3:30. when I worked 8 to 4:30 I still ate lunch at 11 a.m.. My mom always served very early dinner but now I eat closer to 6:45 or 7 pm . My current habit is coffee upon arising at 5:30 a.m. followed by 4.5 mi walk. I eat breakfast type foods of a veggie omelet and 1 piece of "dry" toast plus more coffee around 8 a.m. So no breakfast per se if defined as within 1 hour of arising. Light lunch around 11 a.m. followed by afternoon popcorn snack somewhere between 2 and 4 pm.
    I honestly am not a hungry individual and don't normally have hunger pangs anyway. dinner around 6:45 ish.
    So basically 3 meals plus a snack even if one meal is not early enough to be considered breakfast.

"Traditional meal times" vary all over the place depending on the culture. Europe is always very late at night for dinner. Timing has little to no effect on me in general.
    Like GadgetgirlIL activities can certainly cause changes in schedule. I eat very early for a century bike ride for example.