Juicy Joyful July!

Options
123457»

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hey gang...missed yesterday...really got into cleaning the LIVING ROOM/Dining room...finished up this morning...with more steam mopping all three rooms, including kitchen. I have a tiny little hall outside my bedroom ... I moved the orgami shelves there with my appliances...least they are not in the Living Room/dining room. Eventually when I am much better with thinning things out, I think there will be room in the guest closest...easy to put away and take out...if not, you don't want to use it.

So, great going @00mark...you're rocking the program. I really am interested in knowing how much your taste buds are changing. That is the thing that keeps you here, IMHO. If we stray or have a richer than usual weekend for instance, you just can't wait to get back to your food.

@LizLovesVeggies , I will for sure let you know how the many function cutting board works. I especially like that I can soak my veggies, rinse them, them close up the tub and it turns into a cutting board. I have been using vinegar (great price for 2 pack at Costco) and salt. Used to buy chimerical veg wash. Waste of money I have read. The vinegar does the job much better.

@Mihani, love my food processor...mine is much smaller than yours I have a feeling. I am not that great at pushing the food through to slice...I think there is somewhat of a learning curve.
    And I looked up the food service by chef A J...looks amazing. I think it perfect for you who really is short on time right now...and something I will keep in mind when I might need it.

Hummus recipes and yogurt recipes please...when anyone has a chance. I am still afraid to make my own yogurt. Need a fool proof recipe. I like the idea of using a store bought one as part of the "starter".

Ok, today is like this:

coffee
    green juice
    big salad with romaine, kale, lots of veggies, and vermicelli noodles. I love the noodles. I think they do hold up my weight loss somewhat...but I kinda feel like I need something in there...I tried potatoes, but the noodles work better. Dressing is from The WFPB Cooking Show, Crack recipe.
    Lettuce boats with refried beans.
    Watermelon
    And dinner: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...what's for dinner? Maybe more salad. So hot here.
    PB cups nice cream

I need to start on my bedroom...oh gawd! Such a mess. And it is the room that must be made sweet and tidy and calm. Oh well, will start by sorting laundry in that place...putting things in their place and see how I do. For the living room, I just took my time and it all came together. I cannot believe the progress I have made. YOU all are my team motiavators!

I do know that I love coming in the clean part of the house now...so pleasant and calm.

Ok, I have talked myself into getting started and seeing where that takes me.

Love you guys. PS I am so loving Lauren Toyota, HOT FOR FOOD, youtube. Great channel. Not making anything yet, but I am pretty sure I will use some of her recipes for the holidays. I know a long way away, but she has so many great ideas. And I will need to practice.

Later gang.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone... still having a super busy work life and continuing to work on the house as I can.

My go-to hummus recipe is from Engine 2, but I've tweaked it over time. I start with two cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, but I reserve the aquafaba for thinning rather than using water. Makes it creamier. Toss the chickpeas in the food processor with 4 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup or more lemon juice, 3 T brown mustard, black pepper, a few tablespoons of aquafaba, and then as you process add aquafaba a little at a time until the right consistency. That's it. So easy and tasty. Sometimes I add other things like some greens or roasted red pepper, or other spices like cumin or paprika or fresh cilantro. I use it on salads, in wraps, spread on bread for a veggie sandwich, etc.

Mark, there are vegan Omega 3 supplements made from algae. That's what I use. Way to go on the salads Mr. Lawnmower, and the good BP numbers!

Ohhhh... Liz, I need to order some of those heirloom beans. I went through a stage of trying out lots of different ones, but mostly eat pinto and garbanzo these days. I have zero guilt about using canned beans. lol

Austin how is your volunteer project going? Are you getting it all done?

Magic, great progress on organizing and cleaning! I appreciate all the great links and ideas you share.

Will likely be making sporadic visits the next week or so. A lot of deadlines to meet at work coming up but I'm beat and not going to work at home tonight. Going to bed early.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Thanks @Mihani for the help...it will be my first recipe in my food processor! <3
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hi @Mihani - Thanks for asking about the project! Today is a day for getting as many things as I can off the volunteer project list, as things really kick in tomorrow. Wish me luck! I am hoping to get all the key things checked off today. I am reviewing and updating the list after coffee, and getting to work!

I am still ETLing and still getting daily exercise, and really happy about that. In the past, I'd have gotten through this week by eating a lot of sugar. The family dinner last night was "Egg Roll in a Bowl," and I included a nice warm bowl of green cabbage in my dinner. Overall, the day looked like:
    B - morning coffee; green drink (spinach, cauli, flax meal, blueberries)
    L - zucchini, tomato & onion bowl; helping of red lentils and cooked mushrooms; big bowl of steamed spinach with some dijon mustard; steamed butternut & apples with cashew milk
    S - apple slices & walnuts
    D - steamed green cabbage; romaine & massaged kale salad with roasted beets & avocado-lemon-tarragon dressing; zucchini, tomato & onion bowl; steamed butternut & apples with cashew milk
  • magic71755
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain great menu...you are so good doing without pasta, rice, potatoes. I just can't or my head won't let me (stubborn magic) seem to do it.

For me, there has got to be a way for me to lose but still have some of the yummy starchy foods I love.

Today

black coffee
    oatmeal with the usual
    watermelon
    romaine salad with vermicelli
    white peach
    not sure...maybe bean tostadas
    nice cream

Doing laundry today...lots of it. So backed up. Did start my bedroom yesterday...professional declutters say to start with the CLOTHES. So that's what I am doing. Fresh linens last night...and a yummy candle in my Yankee thing that melts cups...so no flame...so it was a good night last night.

I am getting my ironing done today...for my workweek (F - M)...it's going great...thinking of it as totally saving money (not taking it to laundry) and making it zen kinda thing...thanks to @00markw .

Later, gang. Hope everyone has a great day.
  • 00markw
    00markw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    magic71755 wrote: »
    So, great going @00mark...you're rocking the program. I really am interested in knowing how much your taste buds are changing. That is the thing that keeps you here, IMHO. If we stray or have a richer than usual weekend for instance, you just can't wait to get back to your food.

Hey Magic, yah so I did stray aka completely fell off the wagon yesterday. We had friends and nibbles over (and friends with nibbles) and I reverted to old 00mark. Ho hum. But I think my taste buds are changing generally. Certainly find bowls of raw food a little easier to plan and eat, and I keep getting back on track. Good for you with the ironing :smile:

Thanks for all that, Mihani. I've got a stock of regular Omega 3's so I'll run it down and go hunting for the algae ones. Your hummus sounds great. I like the idea of adding mustard.

So, I did get back to my food today, mostly. I had BlueGreenMeanie smoothie for brekky WITH CHIA SEEDS, WOOT! Thanks, Liz! And let myself add a couple of slices of bacon to flavor my green lentil and veg soup - dunno how you guys are, but I'm not a philosophical vegan, just a pragmatic etler when I can get my stuff together. So, very low calories today, but not much raw.

I definitely hear you about potatoes too, Magic. Creamy, gritty with the skins, whole satisfying nuggets of loveliness. I heard what your Dillon guy said, but choose to Doc F potatoes in moderation - not more than a cup/day in soup/curry.

Good luck with your projects, Austin. Seamus Heaney famously wrote about his da digging pots, and Sylvia Plath even linked poetry to potatoes, but not sure I fully understand what she's saying, lol: https://www.best-poems.net/sylvia_plath/poems_potatoes.html

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your menu sounds so great, Austin. Lots of variety. Glad to hear your project is going so well.

Way to go on the continued decluttering work Magic. With you on the starches. My favorite.

Mark, I never really ate much meat and then was vegetarian for many years, now vegan since 2012. It is just who I am at this stage. I don't even look at things with meat or dairy and think of them as food anymore. Now, if I could get that way about the tasty vegan treats available these days. o:) Your mention of the bacon to flavor your soup made me remember... I keep a bottle of liquid smoke around and use it when I want a smoky flavor.

Packed up my oatmeal for breakfast and salad for lunch today. Thinking dinner will be a skillet of onions, mushrooms, greens and beans.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Carla_wfpb wrote: »
    @AustinRuadhain thanks for the warm welcome back :) not really in the groove of things here but not doing terrible either. Not enough greens and nary a mushroom in sight!

Mihani, I love it so much that you actually have time to do things other than work and sleep. How long have we known each other? Your work has been way too busy that whole time! Years! Have a great time with your handyman friend!

Magic, if you don't already, see if you can get local produce from a farmer's market. That should boost the yum factor :) It is disappointing to get a run of bad fruit! I need to follow my own advice! I missed yesterday's local market and haven't actually made it there this year yet. oops!

I have 'weaver fever' over here so I am working on my tapestries and doing little else. I upgraded my loom and it is a huge improvement. I will post a pic of something once off the loom, I have space on there for multiple projects but it means I can't take it off to look at until they are all done.

I'm sorry to say that I don't recall if I mentioned our anniversary trip to the OR coast. We had a fabulous time. Ruby loved running loose on the beach at 6 am when it was deserted. We had a great laugh watching her run full tilt towards the ocean and then turn tail and run away from the waves as they washed in. We're thinking of renting a place there for a month next summer and then just working from there as needed.

8685eakrvp8c.jpg

Hey, Carla -- Just a quick note to say we miss you over here in the ETL group! Hope all is well and that you are healthy, happy and weaving wondrous things!