Total Carbs or Net Carbs

missezkbee
missezkbee Posts: 10 Member
I tried to search for a thread about this but couldn’t find a match. I’ve been on Keto for about two weeks and am down almost 9 pounds. Been having fun with new recipes and doing a lot of reading but I just don’t know if there is a consensus on Total v Net carbs. I’ve been using net carbs for subtracting fiber from total carbs in natural, whole food, such as avocado and greens.

Input or advice welcome and appreciated!

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Most count net carbs, subtracting fibers. I don't remember the exact science, I know there are others on here that do.

But I think it's because fibers are not digested, so they don't count. I know fibers don't spike insulin or blood sugars either... Which is what Keto is all about. Keeping glucose levels down, so that body produces ketones. And fibers do not interrupt this system.

I would go nuts trying to stick to total carbs...I love veggies too much! ;)
  • Mom23greatboys
    Mom23greatboys Posts: 1 Member
    Is there a way to get the app to show net carbs rather than carbs? Thank you
  • Emmapatterson1729

Not that I've found, but under nutrients tab right beside macros tab, it tells you your fibers.
  • SameMeLessFat
    SameMeLessFat Posts: 11 Member
    I wish they had a net carb option as well. I tried another app that did track net carbs but they didn’t have as many foods in their inventory as mfp. So I just manually subtract them out too. It’s pretty easy.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member

The only way to do it is if you use a regular computer and a web browser, then you can install Tampermonkey and a script that'll show net carbs on MFP.

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    You can set MFP to put the "carbs" column right next to the "fiber" column. Then it's just an easy subtraction. :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    RAC56 wrote: »
    You can set MFP to put the "carbs" column right next to the "fiber" column. Then it's just an easy subtraction. :)

Can you move them in the app? I don't mind subtracting fiber for net, but my fiber is way down on the list. Would be a little easier if it was right under carbs.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited August 2019
    On my laptop I see a drop down menu titled "My Home" near the top of the page. If I click on that it brings up a choice called "Settings." When I click on that it brings up a list called "Account Settings." In that list you'll see a choice called "Diary Settings." When you click on that it will give you a list of Nutrients Tracked: Calories (is required, lol) but the other ones are up to you. There are drop down choices so I moved my Carbs and Fiber to be side by side. Then I do the easy subtraction! Hope this helps. :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    RAC56 wrote: »
    On my laptop I see a drop down menu titled "My Home" near the top of the page. If I click on that it brings up a choice called "Settings." When I click on that it brings up a list called "Account Settings." In that list you'll see a choice called "Diary Settings." When you click on that it will give you a list of Nutrients Tracked: Calories (is required, lol) but the other ones are up to you. There are drop down choices so I moved my Carbs and Fiber to be side by side. Then I do the easy subtraction! Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, I will play in account settings and see what I can do!!!