What is a good number of carbs?

Options
kimmeastar
kimmeastar Posts: 11 Member
I'm currently eating no more than 30-35 carbs per day. Is this good? What amount does every one eat per day?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I eat around 25-30 total carbs per day, with net carbs coming in under 20 grams per day. Almost all my carbs come from veggies, and I am extremely carb sensitive due to medical reasons.

I agree with MaliMalai, everyone is different. So, what works for one, may not work for another.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat 15 or less. This week I'll be doing carnivore, just water and meat, so I won't be consuming any carbs.
  • kimmeastar
    kimmeastar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It sounds like I am on the right track. I might try that meat and water for a week. :)
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me to eat vegetables including pumpkin and sweet potato. I agree with her as I got good results from my health check-up. x 🥑🥦🥗
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread... I was under the impression that I was not to exceed 20gr a day... (this is my day 2) and I already consumed 20 grams in veges today. Glad i can still have broccoli for dinner.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with bumping up my carb allowance to allow for 6-9 cups/day of vegetables and some fruits from 3 categories (leafy greens; brightly colored; sulfur-rich/cruciferous) per the Wahls Diet for MS. I have been keto before but now looking for more like 60-90 gm carbs/day to allow for enough of the fruits and veggies.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with bumping up my carb allowance to allow for 6-9 cups/day of vegetables and some fruits from 3 categories (leafy greens; brightly colored; sulfur-rich/cruciferous) per the Wahls Diet for MS. I have been keto before but now looking for more like 60-90 gm carbs/day to allow for enough of the fruits and veggies.
    I took notes on a Wahls Protocol book, but haven't put into action anything. Found the notes.

Leafy greens(3 cups a day cooked, 6 raw) 3 cups a day
    Sulfur-rich(raw or cooked) 3 cups a day
    Nonstarchy colorful(raw or cooked) 3 a day
    Starchy color As part of 3 cups color

Dark Green Vegetables
    Arugula
    Beet Greens
    Bok Choy and other asian greens
    Chard, All colors
    Chicory
    Cilantro
    Collard greens
    Dandelion greens
    Endive
    Escarole
    Kale, all types (curly,lacinto/dinosaur,red,etc)
    Lettuce all types of deep green, bright green, and red-leaf
    Mizuna
    Mustard greens
    Parsley
    Radicchio
    Radish leaves
    Romaine lettuce
    Spinach
    Tatsoi
    Turnip Greens
    Watercress
    Wheatgrass

Colored vegetables and fruits(3 cups daily)

Green
    Artichoke
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Beans,green
    Cabbage, green
    Celery
    Cucumber, with skin
    Grapes, green
    Green peas
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi, green
    Limes
    Okra
    Olives, green
    Peppers, green
    Snow peas
    Sugar snap peas
    Zucchini with skin

Red
    Beets
    Blood oranges
    Cabbage, red
    Cherries
    Cranberries
    Currants, red
    Grapefruit, red
    Grapes, red
    Peppers, red
    Raddichio
    Raspberries, red
    Rhubarb
    Strawberries
    Tomatoes, red
    Watermelon

Higher carb
    Pomegranate

Blue/Purple/Black
    Aronia Berries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Currants,black
    Eggplant
    Elderberries
    Grapes, black
    Grapes, purple
    Kale, purple
    Olives, black
    Plums
    Raspberries, black

Higher carb
    Dates
    Dried currants
    figs, purple
    prunes
    raisins

Yellow/Orange
    Apricots
    Carrots
    Grapefruit
    Kiwi, golden
    Lemon
    Mango
    Muskmelon
    Nectarines
    Oranges
    Papaya
    Peaches
    Peppers, orange and yellow
    Pineapple
    Pumpkin
    Squash, summer and winter
    Sweet potatoes
    Tangerines
    Tomatoes,yellow
    yams

Higher Carb
    Acorn Squash
    Dried apricots, pineapples
    Figs
    Sweet potatoes, cooked

Sulfur-rich vegetables(3 cups daily)
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Bok Choy
    Broccoli
    Broccoli rasbe(rapini)
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Chives
    Collard greens
    Daikon
    Garlic, all types
    (two cloves = 1 serving)
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Mizuna
    Mushrooms
    Mustard greens
    Leeks
    Mizuna
    Mushrooms
    Mustard greens
    Onions, red, yellow, and white
    Radishes
    Rutubagas
    Scallions
    Shallots
    Tatsoi
    Turnip greens
    Turnips
    Watercress

Starchy fruits not included in the 9 cups(white flesh)
    Apple
    Banana
    Pear

Other white nonstarchy vegetables may be consumed after the 9 cups have been eaten:
    Bamboo shoots
    Cucumbers without skin
    Jicama
    Water chestnuts
    Zucchini without skin

Sea vegetables/algae
    Algae(serving - 1 teaspoon spirulina or chlorella or 1/2 teaspoon blue-green)
    Blue-green algae
    Chlorella
    Spirulina
    Seaweed(1 serving = 2.3 ounces fresh or reconstituted, 1 teaspoon flakes or 1/4 teaspoon powder)
    Red
    Dulse
    Irish moss
    Nori
    Brown
    Bladderwrack
    Kelp
    Kombu
    Wakame
    Green
    Sea lettuce

Animal protein(organic if possible, wild or grass-fed, ideal)
    Beef
    Buffalo/Bison
    Chicken
    Duck
    Elk
    Fish, all kinds(salmon,tuna,cod,sardines,mackerel,tilapia,sea bass,herring,etc)
    Lamb
    Pork
    Processed meat with no gluten, nitrates, or msg
    Shellfish, all kinds(shrimp,crab,lobster,scallops)
    Turkey
    Veal
    Venison,rabbit,pheasant,quail,and other wild game

Organ meat
    Brain
    Gizzard
    Heart
    Kidney
    Liver
    Sweetbreads
    Tongue
    Tripe

Omega-3 rich fish(16 ounces a week)
    Anchovies
    Clams
    Halibut
    Herring
    Mackerel
    Mussels
    Oysters
    Salmon
    Sardines
    Trout
    Tuna (fresh)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 lbs, and got rid of my heartburn, improved my skin etc by keeping my total intake to 35G or less daily. A doctor suggested it years ago and it was the only metric I followed. I did really well for a quite a while just using that metric...over 4 years ago is when I started that. I was in maintenance mode for about 2 years and I loosened that up a bit here and there.

I'm back at it now, working on losing another 30 lbs and working on some other fitness and health goals including improved sleep, strength etc. I am working with a wellness coach and she has me eating more carbs from plants than I have in the past. Right now I have macros set for Carbs at 20% and I struggle to get to that level. But overall I've really seen crazy changes in my body after about 6 weeks at these macros which overall are a significant increase in protein, significant (for me) increase in Carbohydrates and a reduction in fat.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I lost my first 30 lbs, and got rid of my heartburn, improved my skin etc by keeping my total intake to 35G or less daily. A doctor suggested it years ago and it was the only metric I followed. I did really well for a quite a while just using that metric...over 4 years ago is when I started that. I was in maintenance mode for about 2 years and I loosened that up a bit here and there.

I'm back at it now, working on losing another 30 lbs and working on some other fitness and health goals including improved sleep, strength etc. I am working with a wellness coach and she has me eating more carbs from plants than I have in the past. Right now I have macros set for Carbs at 20% and I struggle to get to that level. But overall I've really seen crazy changes in my body after about 6 weeks at these macros which overall are a significant increase in protein, significant (for me) increase in Carbohydrates and a reduction in fat.
    That's great! I've been thinking of adding more carbs from veggies as well. I was 90% carnivore but it just doesn't seem to be doing much, so I'm going to try about 70% meat based. I'm already eating lean steak so that's what I'm going to continue with but veggie smoothies had a place in my major weight loss last time.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I keep carbs around 100 grams. I go on diet breaks once in a while where I eat rice or corn meal for a few days.
    My hundred grams of carbs comes from nuts dairy low carb fruit and low starch veg.

I'm maintaining my weight for several years now around 135 pounds.

• voncovenhoven
    voncovenhoven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread... I was under the impression that I was not to exceed 20gr a day... (this is my day 2) and I already consumed 20 grams in veges today.
  • voncovenhoven
    voncovenhoven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’m new to keto as well. I just finished week two. I also read that that the target for carbs was 20g. I am struggling daily to get that low and keep missing it. Ive changed my settings to macros rather than calories to help. I am doing this to be healthier and lose weight. It’s the end of week two and I’ve lost 14 lbs, so it’s working. Could someone much more experience with keto advise what the carb number should be for losing?
  • FlynLass27
    FlynLass27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m new to keto as well. I just finished week two. I also read that that the target for carbs was 20g. I am struggling daily to get that low and keep missing it. Ive changed my settings to macros rather than calories to help. I am doing this to be healthier and lose weight. It’s the end of week two and I’ve lost 14 lbs, so it’s working. Could someone much more experience with keto advise what the carb number should be for losing?

If you've lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks, you're doing GREAT! I've been on keto below 20g of net carbs for about 13 months and have lost 74 lbs. I admit that there have been some vacation weeks when I've been off the program, but as soon as we get home, I'm right back on it. For the past couple months, I've been staying below 15g net carbs and continue to do well. Mentally, I kept thinking that I NEEDED to eat vegetables, but after listening to some experts talk about carnivore, I have realized that I don't need vegetables to be healthy. :smile: To be honest, this is the easiest "diet" I've ever been on - but it does take a few weeks to get the hang of it. Keep up the good work!!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @voncovenhoven

I keep my net carbs under 20-25. Total carbs come in at 30- 47ish.

I get most my carbs from veggies and fruits, and a couple from dairy.

I think it's individual. Some people can stay in ketosis at or just under 50 net carbs.

Some have to drop lower.

Don't stress too much, especially if you're losing!!
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @voncovenhoven

I keep my net carbs under 20-25. Total carbs come in at 30- 47ish.

I get most my carbs from veggies and fruits, and a couple from dairy.

I think it's individual. Some people can stay in ketosis at or just under 50 net carbs.

Some have to drop lower.

Don't stress too much, especially if you're losing!!

Ditto to this.