Not experienced with keto too much, looking for tips based on how I did.

Options
Damienriven
Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
Not experienced with keto too much, looking for tips based on how I did. I want to add that I am doing this coming off of a 41 hour fast and do take potassium and magnesium supplements as well as pouring salt over mostly everything, lol. Reviewing myself I would have cut either the choco banana or fat bomb instead of both. I never tried that kind of fat Bomb from the company and just didn’t want to wait for tomorrow to see how it tasted. yk1k891qnmik.png
71pji5t5qxx5.png

Replies

• StevenB79
    StevenB79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The slimfast fatbomb you tried has soluble corn fiber which I've read is like maltodextrin and is bad but the peanut butter fatbombs from slimfast are better ingredients the rest of the slimfast products. I'd stay away from the other kinds. I make my own with Lillys Chocolate and almond butter and Coconut oil and heavy whipping cream and walnuts. Freeze them and eat them throughout each month with a batch.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I second the above. I make a big batch of 20 fat bombs and eat one or two daily.

Macros and calories look good.

I would just add to above comment and say try to buy real whole foods, whole full fat foods.

Not bad... My first 3-4 days were a little off. It took a couple of days to go really low carb and still get veggies and fruits in. We gave up on finding too many quick and easy snacks. Started making everything at home (except my daughter's protein bars, which sometimes I give in and have one). ;)

Looks pretty good!

• Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Are the carbs actually good? I read somewhere it has to be at or below 5 percent
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    For ketosis to kick in, most suggest under 50 grams of net carbs (on any medical articles or research I've read).

I was originally going for 50, but naturally fell to under 20-25ish.

I intake around 10-17 net carbs daily, but the macro percentages on mfp do not subtract fiber in America.

So mine consistently shows 5-12 %. I pay more attention to my grams per day versus the percentages.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good start. I would avoid parkay though. Unless I’m wrong, it’s not butter. It’s margarine.
    If your goal is fat loss, you may want a little more protein and a little less fat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree the Slim Fast and most other keto products aren’t really keto in that they use tricky ingredients like the maltodextrin
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Also, I agree the Slim Fast and most other keto products aren’t really keto in that they use tricky ingredients like the maltodextrin

Agree!! Yeah. Even my stevia has maltodextrin in it. Sucks!!

Eventually I will acquire pure 100% monk fruit. But it's pricey.

I also think parkay is margarine. We switched to real butter years ago when we switched to mostly whole foods.

And then with keto, we've also ditched the safflower and vegetable oils. I see these in a lot of diaries.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I'm generally not a fan of such things either, but the Slimfast Advanced Nutrition stuff isn't terrible. 1 net carb per bottle and 20g of protein. But still, I prefer real food. I only grab it when it's on sale.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options

I'm generally not a fan of such things either, but the Slimfast Advanced Nutrition stuff isn't terrible. 1 net carb per bottle and 20g of protein. But still, I prefer real food. I only grab it when it's on sale.

I might have to get some for my daughter...I never think about stuff like this... But she loves protein bars and shakes.

Not me.. Just the word slimfast makes me feel queasy...my mother was obsessed with slimfast... And if she dieted, the family did too.... Got so sick of slimfast shakes 🤢